“Local German Eatery”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

There is nothing fancy about this Restaurant. Basically a bar with tables and booths. The food is good and reasonably priced. Service was good. Strudel was very good. Wiener Schnitzel was just OK. Pork Shank was better. Really not bad- German restaurants are hard to find!

There are newer reviews for Laschet's Inn

Reviewed April 14, 2013

After reading a number of reviews both here and on yelp, my friends and I thought this would be THE place for German food in Chicago. An institution.

We're still scratching our heads, wondering if we mistakenly stumbled into the wrong place. We called ahead for a reservation on the early side (6:45PM) and after a brief wait were seated uncomfortably beside a birthday party of about 20 in the back corner of the room. The saving grace was that the sensory overload caused by the over-served guests and the 5 watt bulbs in the lights almost, but not quite, distracted us from the shockingly sub-par food.

Greasy Wiener Schnitzel, sickeningly sweet red cabbage, and tasteless potatoes...how could this restaurant have so many positive reviews? Before our waitress had a chance to ask if we wanted dessert or another drink, the less-than-professional hostess came in to tell us that if we were planning to stay more than a few more minutes, we would have to move to the bar. We had literally been there for a whopping 32 minutes. Come on...

We unsuccessfully tried to find the hidden cameras. Really thought that this was some sort of Food Network reality show.

So in a nutshell: if a 20 minute cab ride from downtown, 70s German pop annoying playing in the background, grease-stained wood paneling, timed dining, and truly bad, quasi-German food is your thing, you'll love this place. If you're looking for an establishment that takes pride in its history and the quality of its food, do yourself a favor and skip this. You'll thank me.

1  Thank MattyMcQ
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My friend and I were visiting Chicago and wanted to eat at a German restaurant. I do not care for the red cabbage at the Brauhaus, so I decided to try Laschet's since most of the reviews were so good. As for the atmosphere, this is a deep, narrow old neighborhood bar which was fine with us, but it is not as nice as it appears in the photos at this site. We both really enjoyed our meals; my friend had Wienerschnitzel and I had Sauerbraten. The red cabbage was not as good as my mom's, but it's probably the second-best restaurant red cabbage I've had. The beer selection was great as well.
My only complaint is that less than 10 minutes after our plates were cleared, and both of us with half a beer left to drink, the hostess basically asked us to leave because there were people waiting for a table. I'm 48 years old so have had many, many experiences at crowded restaurants, even in Chicago, and have NEVER been blatantly asked to leave. There was no reason for it except that people were waiting (we weren't being loud or obnoxious, etc. . .).
So, if you don't mind eating and running, try this place - the food WAS excellent!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had to be in the general area for my son so I had to find a restaurant for us to go to. After doing a bit of searching I narrowed it down to a German restaurant. After looking at various ones in the area and reading reviews I decided upon Laschet's. We were all happy with the decision. The place is a neighbor establishment with a light atmosphere. My wife ordered the special of the night; pork shank which she said was very good and a large portion. I had the Sauerbraten which also was very good. It came with spaetzle and red cabbage. The red cabbage was excellent and the spaetzle was good as well. Dinners came with lentil soup which was good. Our server was friendly and efficient.
We would say the one complaint would be that most of the food was under seasoned. Everything benefited from some extra salt so would recommend that this be addressed. For us the way we judge a new place is we ask ourselves if we would come back and in the case of Laschet's the answer easily would be yes.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

As a previous reviewer said, this is the best German food in Chicago. German restaurants are not difficult to find in Chicago, especially not in the neighborhood where Laschet's is located. (The German heritage of the area can still be seen). But Laschet's does it the best and most authentic. Having lived in Germany and compared notes with other friends who are either German or have also lived in Germany or Austria, I can say this with confidence. They also have an amazing fish-and-chips (albeit not German). And you get a complimentary schnapps at the end of the meal! The only shortcoming is that sometimes the service can be a little slow.

I also want to point out that this restaurant is located in a residential neighborhood and frequented by locals - you're not going to find a parking lot or any type of parking arrangement. While you do have to pay (meters) on Irving Park (like every other arterial street in the city), there is ample free parking on the side streets near the restaurant.

3  Thank Thalia291