“Just LIke Mom's”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Just LIke Mom's”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

While visiting family in Chicago during the Christmas holiday we went to Laschet's Inn. My mother is from Germany and an excellent cook so I always hold any German food to her standards. We had the hackepeter for an appetizer (steak tartar). It was served on rye bread with raw onions and caraway on the side. It was a very good portion. I ordered a half portion of roladen that came with one "roll". Without a doubt this is the best I have had other than my Mom's. The dish came with red cabbage and spaetzle. My Mom and sister both had the roladen and my brother ordered the goulash. My nephew who is a picky eater had the potato pancakes. Everyone loved their food. For desert we all shared a hazelnut cake. It was DELICIOUS. The waitress said that is made at Dinkle's Bakery on Lincoln Ave. The cake was not overly sweet and had a fantastic buttercream frosting.

This is not a fancy place but more of a restaurant for the neighborhood or regulars. We saw a group of men at a table by the bar order a gigantic pretzel and beer to watch the game.

I highly recommend going to Laschet's Inn if you want to experience good German food in a casual neighborhhod setting.

ENJOY!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank lizzzg

All across the U.S.
“Pay for parking - get grumpy hostess”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had out of town clients who wanted to indulge in German food. We'd been to other restaurants and wanted to try this one. First of all, you have to "pay to park" in front of the restaurant. OK, so whatever. Entered restaurant, told hostess we had reservations (weren't really necessary) and she never acknowledged us and didn't appear cordial. Mind you my clients were in their mid-50's and certainly not "unruly guests". Food was just ok-- mediocre. On the sandwich menu, there was a listing for liver sausage sandwiches and there was a mis-print. Said the cost was $0.00. We jokingly told the hostess just give us 20 of those sandwiches to go! She insultingly slammed back, "Well, obviously you think that's the price but it is an error in the print and I won't give you the sandwiches". DUH! YEAH! We were only kidding. She turned around and walked away. Our waitress was a nice young gal who was cordial but the hostess..... not so good! Try other German restaurants of your choosing. If you want to sit at their bar, fine. Nice locals... but avoid their restaurant mentality.

• Visited October 2012
Chicago, IL
“Good German Food”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We went to Laschet's based on the recommendation of a TA member in the forums. Thank you! After years of driving past this place, we are left wondering why we didn't visit sooner!

The location is a little strange, but we found parking easily. You enter the restaurant in the bar area, and walk through to the 'host stand' which is really just a half wall. Regardless, we were greeted and seated promptly.

The server approached us almost immediately and was totally on-the-ball the entire evening without being obtrusive. We ordered one of the appetizers that was on special--the pretzel with this AMAZING cheese dip. Naturally I don't remember the name of it, but it was delicious.

Our entrees came with soup. One of us got the Goulash soup, which was very spicy but delicious, and the other got some sort of a cabbage soup, which was also very good.

We ordered two entrees--the rouladen and the sauerbraten--and shared. The rouladen was phenomenal and the portion was huge. The sauerbraten was good, but nothing special and nothing we'd order again.

We appreciated the variety of good german beer available, and were sad to not have room to enjoy dessert--until our server informed us that 'dessert' is on the house via a free shot of schnapps each. They had 3 or 4 unusual flavors to choose from. We chose two different ones and (you guessed it!) shared, and both were yummy.

We found the portions to be very large, the recipes to be authentic and delicious, and the price to be modest vis-a-vis the quality and quantity of food we got. The service was personable and perceptive.

We will most certainly return.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank BusinessTraveler04
seneca, sc
“I Love German Food!”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Unfortunately, you won't find it at Laschet's Inn. The place is a charming neighborhood
establishment. Based on reviews we read on this site as well as Yelp we decided
to drive here on a Saturday night while staying at the Omni Hotel in Chicago. Although
we live in South Carolina, we make at least two trips to Chicago a year for what I
define as a "food fix". I'm a sucker for Italian Beef, Chicago Hot Dogs and THIN
Crust Pizza. I also like to visit neighborhood ethnic establishments.

I had the Wiener Schnitzel and my wife had the Goulash. I know neither of these are
actually German, however I've eaten a lot of excellent Wiener Schnitzel in Germany
and we've had great Goulash in many countries. Not here. The Goulash was
flavored totally with paprika which made it far too hot with no underlying flavors
and my Wiener Schnitzel was very heavy. The coating seemed to be made of a
corn meal flour mix and I suspect the meat was not veal. The best part of my meal
was the red cabbage which tasted pretty good. The roasted potatoes and spaetzle
which accompanied our meals were throw aways.

I read the history of this restaurant on their web site and apparently the place has
changed hands in the last few years after successfully existing for decades. In
my opinion, if people really go there for the food, it won't last long.

• Visited March 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good German food and Spaten on draft!”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Good German food and Spaten on draft!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook