“A unique experience”
Review of Arun's

Arun's
Reserve with OpenTable
Arun's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,470 of 9,520 Restaurants in Chicago
Transit: CTA Brown Line Kedzie Station
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A unique experience”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Arun is a Thai restaurant that prepares out of the ordinary Thai cuisine dishes. My wife and I went for dinner for her birthday and had the fixed price menu. The menu was composed by 12 separate dishes. It was incredibly good. The appetizers were small but extremely tasty. They will adjust the amount of "heat" to one's preference. Each dish is presented and the server will explain the contents and preparation.
The service was excellent. The wine list was extremely good perhaps a bit pricey.
The restaurant offers valet parking but we self parked without any problems.
I would not recommend it for families with young children since it does take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to enjoy the food.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank alberto54

Orlando, Florida
“A 1,000 Places To See - But Is It Worth It”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I religiously try to visit entries listed in the "1,000 Places To See Before You Die" book, and Arun's Restaurant enjoys that distinction. The book, published in 2002, is glowing in its review. But after reading many "average" and "overrated" reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned. Still, when checking off lists, you don't have a choice, so I pressed on.

The 12 course meal I was served was expertly prepared, visually appealing, and the service was attentive and first rate. All in all, it was a fine meal and one that I am happy to recommend.

The question of whether it belongs to be listed in the book is another story. I'm not sure that the restaurant is as cutting edge as it was when the book was researched and printed. And more importantly for TripAdvisor readers, I'm not sure that the price tag matches the product. Eating by myself with a bottle of Evian, a single glass of medium priced wine, the $85 fixed price for the meal, and a tip, the total was $150.00. I didn't feel cheated, but with that type of price, I don't know that I'd come back.

The bottom line is another entry has been checked off, and I enjoyed the meal. Only you can decide whether it's worth that type of money for the experience. Happy dining!

• Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Left hungry and will never return”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I have been to this restaurant several times over the years, and have been disappointed each time. To me it is one of the most over-rated restaurants in Chicago. I suppose back in the 80s when there were not as many fine dinning places in Chicago, it was easier to make a name with a cuisine that was relatively unknown at the time. Now there are so many choices in Chicago, among them many good Thai restaurants. Here the portions are tiny, really tiny. The tastes are ok, but honestly, some of the inexpensive neighborhood Thai restaurants do a better job in some of the dishes. The fancy decorations with the carved carrots are really Chinese and not Thai, as are some of the dishes. Overall I would say the food quality is ok but not great and the portions are way too tiny. We left hungry and I had to make myself a bowl of instant noodles. I will not return to this place.

• Visited November 2011
Terre Haute
“12 course, wine paired dinner Thai cuisine heaven”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

After checking Zagat reviews for Chicago, I paired my list of "once per decade" meals down to three restaurants. I tried making reservations at all three 5 days in advance. I failed to get my preferred time at all three, but the least objectionable time was Arun's. My co-diner was celebrating her X0th birthday so we wanted to do something unique. Arun's fit the bill perfectly.
We opted for the 12 course meal with wine pairings. Although the wine pairings called four 4 glasses of wine, there seemed to be ready pourings if our glasses looked low. I have included a few shot of our meal. Each course was delicious and contained something new to us. "Bitter melon" was new to me and the name says it all. It did work in the soup when paired with the pork and shitake mushroom. I will not describe each course but I can sum up to state that each course contained enough food to satisfy the palette and not so much that one felt like a glutton. The four Dinner "entrees" were served at one time and each was great.
The service was joyful and knowledgeable. They were always nearby, but not hovering. The restaurant itself was a bit bright, too light, but tastefully decorated. Murals by the owner's brother are colorful and full of surprises (ask your waiter). This was not so much a meal for us as an adventure. trying to figure out what was in the dishes and knowing that there were likely ingredients unavailable absent specialty shops.
Although the food is Thai inspired, I felt that the presentation and modifications from traditional Thai demonstrate that the creative mind can turn the the ordinary into extraordinary. It is pricey, but a highly remember-able experience.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Skilly-IN
Wilmette, Illinois
“Best Thai ever!!!”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

For Thai food, there is no better place to eat. Not in Chicago, or anywhere else. For $85 per person you get a 12 course tasting menu that is absolutely perfect. There was nothing that I would change whatsoever. My wife and I have eaten here twice now and have been very happy both times. I cannot wait to go back. The food and service were wonderful. This is a very good choice for a special occasion.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank tshissler

Been to Arun's? Share your experiences!