“Thanksgiving take out”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Bloomington, Indiana
“Thanksgiving take out”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We were visiting Chicago over Thanksgiving and decided to preorder a takeout meal to ensure that we would be able to find some vegetarian food on the holiday. The portions were huge, and it was nice to see that the Diner was offering this holiday option.

We ordered the beef Wellington and lentil "meatloaf" meals. The Wellington was excellent, as were the sides of stuffing and baked apples. However, I wouldn't do the meatloaf again. It was clearly supposed to get all its taste from the ketchup, which I didn't want. Plus, the lentils and other fillers hadn't been soaked enough, making the meal dry and giving it an abrasive texture. My husband also ordered a slice pumpkin cheezecake but couldn't get past the first few bites, reminding that vegetarian why he hasn't gone vegan. Even so, most of the food was good, and we're eager to try the full menu at the restaurant next time we're in Chicago.

Largo, Florida
“Heavenly!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This place is great! My husband and I were visiting in Chicago and heard of this diner on Happy Cow. We are vegan and rarely have had the opportunity to order anything we wanted off a menu! We ordered the Reuben with sweet potato fries and the gyro with mac and cheese. Everything was wonderful. Seasonings are everything and those used on our food were perfect. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly and the food was served quickly. Wish we had a restaurant like this in our home town. Bravo!

1 Thank Lucy K
Virginia
“The Best Hamburger I've Ever Eaten (yeah, it was vegan!)”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife is a vegetarian and she wanted to find a compatible restaurant on my recent business trip to Chicago. North of the Gold Coast we hiked up there and back, about a 45 minute walk even at night it was fine, safe and enjoyable. The food was amazing. I am not a vegetarian and the 'cheeseburger' I ordered really was the best I've ever eaten. It was juicy and sloppy with all the condiments and taste combinations present in a great burger. I guess it was some kind of mushroom but from its texture and taste I couldn't tell the difference. All of our food was delicious. Creatively conceived, thoughtfully prepared and artfully delivered to our table. The dining room is blue collar funky with a full crowd through out our 9 minute stay. The wait was relatively short only part of which was out on the sidewalk as the vestibule was packed. The hostess was organized, fair and moved everyone along.The wait staff is vintage funky and younger than their dreadlocks and OWS t's would imply. On my next trip to Chicago I may sneak up to the Chicago Diner even if my wife doesn't accompany me. It was memorable and delicious.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank WDmovingOut
Spring Lake, Michigan
“good comprimise”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I'm not a vegetarian, but I was dining with some. This place intrigued me. They serve meals that are very meat-like. I had the reuben sandwich, my sister had the meatloaf, but there is no meat on the menu. Strange, but it looked like meat and tasted like meat. I enjoyed my meal, they had a nice selection of area craft beers. I think it is a place where vegetarians and meat eaters can coexist.

Oslo, Norway
“My first vegan meal”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Charming place, nice people, great food! A bit strong for my taste, but they were very attentive, and saw that I was burning up, so they got me some sourcream and it was all good!

Visited October 2013