“Sooooo good!”

Chicago Diner
Ranked #98 of 9,520 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Fort Wayne
“Sooooo good!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The staff was very nice and helpful. They filled our water glasses several times even though they were busy, but no ice so it was just room temp water. (Kinda weird.) We ordered vegan buffalo wings and they were so spectacular, I could have just ordered 8 more plates of them! The ranch dipping was also amazing. My husband got a vegan Dagwood which he said was very good and I got a vegan French Toast sandwich. Mine was good, but had a lot of Daiya cheese on it which I'm not a fan of. I just wish I would have ordered something else. I topped it off with the most OUT OF THIS WORLD vegan Mint Chocolate Shake!! It was honestly heaven!! Sometimes a girl just needs some vegan comfort food and I sure found it!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Kelly R

Wilmington, De
“This place went downhill.”
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

This was my second trip here. I'm not a vegetarian and didn't was any faux meat so i settled on the grilled cheese. You can't screw that up. Was I wrong.

They gave me a grilled cheese sandwich that was overdone on one side, and charred black on the underside. I can't believe a place like this has the utter contempt for their customers to service this. To make things worse the sweet potato fried were cold and soggy. They had to know what they were doing trying to hide the blackened bottom.

The waitress did offer to replace it but if the cooks can't even properly prepare a grilled cheese sandwich... It's to bad the vegetarians and vegans have to settle on a place like this.i guess these cooks have no pride in their work.

The rest of the group also had cold fries, but after waiting about an hour for a table, they were to hungry yo complain. We will not be going back

Chicago, Illinois
“Good even if not a vegan”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife got me to go here and I was surprised that I really enjoyed the faux meat in the "hamburger" and mock chicken soup. Since I'm not a vegetarian, I would recommend the egg dishes over the rest.

Visited October 2012
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Best Vegan/Vegetarian I've had”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The staff is very friendly and the Vegan options are great. I had a Wrap sandwich and my son had a Reuben. Excellent.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank laxrunnersTA
New York City, New York
“Over-rated”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The reviews of Chicago Diner are always so outstanding, we couldn't wait to get there, plus it turned out to be 3 blocks from our hotel. Extremely crowded on a Saturday night, so we felt lucky to get a table in only 15 minutes.
The diner is small and packed, with both people and furniture. Our table was literally 2 inches from the next one so we couldn't help overhearing the diners' entire conversation. In other sections, also, tables seemed to be on top of each other, and the general din was very loud.
I don't eat meat and was thrilled to have a large vegetarian selection. But we found the menu not especially imaginative, and the food was nothing special. (All the people around us were eating things that looked like burgers, so maybe we just ordered too unconventionally.) Prices are reasonable. I wouldn't recommend this place unless you have a preference or high tolerance for very loud and crowded dining.

• Visited September 2012