“Yum!”
Review of Cafe El Tapatio

Cafe El Tapatio
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe El Tapatio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,417 of 9,717 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great food and margaritas! In the summer, it was nice to just go, relax, and enjoy Tapatio's chips, salsa, and delicious Mexican cuisine.

There are newer reviews for Cafe El Tapatio

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Cafe El Tapatio is one of my favorite places to eat in Chicago. The atmosphere is charming and the food is perfect. Every dish that I have eaten there has never disappointed me. The salad with strips of steak is full of flavor and the meat is cooked to perfection. Their guacamole is the most delicious I've ever tasted. I would also recommend their tilapia dish and the tacos. It is authentic tasting Mexican food. Truly the best Mexican food I've ever had.
The service couldn't be any better, with extremely friendly and attentive servers.
Cafe El Tapatio is a must go.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

From my experience, about 3.5 stars.

We came early on a Sunday evening and there was hardly anyone there so we picked our table of choice. We sat on their outdoor patio (which is dog friendly) and started with their chips & salsa. Fair warning...their salsa is HOT...like really hot. My fiancee and I love hot food and this was even a bit uncomfortable for us. We also tried their Guacamole de Frutas-I loved it but it is definitely very mango-ey, if that's not your thing go for the regular.

For dinner I had 2 tacos with rice and beans-Al Pastor and Carnitas. Both were decent, but I will say that I've had better. The carnitas needed a little more flavor and the al pastor needed a little less. The rice, however, was delicious! My fiancee had the Tapatio combination plate and aside from the steak taco it was pretty sad-a burrito with just steak and beans and a puny little "quesadilla"-not impressed. In the future we'll probably venture elsewhere when we're craving Mexican...

Reviewed August 20, 2011

El Tapatio may be small but their mexican food is some of the best that you can find on the northside. The salsa is the best. Staff is very friendly. I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed March 6, 2010

I've been here half a dozen times and have never had a 'good' experience. Others I have dined with had a better time, which is the reason I've come back...until now.

My boyfriend and I both ordered the El Grandioso Burrito " Suizo" with chicken to go. The food itself was good, with the exception of the CHICKEN BONES we found inside! There were multiple bones in each of our burritos, but mine was the worst- one was 2 1/2 inches long!

I called just to let them know about the issue and the man I spoke with was very apologetic. I wasn't expecting anything, but he offered to give us with a complimentary dinner provided we didn't tell anyone about the bones!

When we called in tonight to order our food, the man we spoke to said he would give us the food, but we needed to understand it's NORMAL for shredded chicken to have BONES! I don't think so!

I'm sorry to say, but I will never be going back again and I would warn everyone reading this against it too!

Been to Cafe El Tapatio? Share your experiences!