“Top Notch Understanding”

Ranked #2 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I didn't get to stay here because my flight was cancelled and the airport shut down.
I contacted the hotel by phone. Although my room booking had a "no refund for cancellation" policy, and even though it was well into the night of my check-in date [we were stuck on the runway for over 6 hours] they understood our situation and immediately offered us a full refund and credited my account. The service was highly professional all the way from start to finish, including sending me an e-mail with copies of their bookkeeping statements confirming the refund. Next time I go to Chicago, I'll definitely stay there. I can fully understand why some many people give them such high marks.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul C
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words and recommendation—I will share them with our Reservations team as well. Wishing you easier travels en route to Chicago next time, and we look forward to your visit.

The Langham, Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,596)

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have been waiting a while to write this review, but I see no reason to put it off any further. The Langham has just been named the BEST Large City Hotel in the United States and 6th BEST hotel on the planet by the readers of Travel + Leisure.

I have never stayed in a finer property. The room was incredibly spacious and full of the latest technology (instant frosting privacy glass was a favorite), the bathroom was enormous and featured not only a double spigot rain shower, but also a massive tub. Ambient music could be played in the room and controlled via a small panel on the wall. The hallways were gorgeously decorated and each room features a doorbell.

The spa and health club was a welcome place to relax after a long day of traveling. Having the long lap pool to myself, gliding underneath the LED stars of the ceiling while gazing out a massive window at the glimmering Trump Tower is a travel memory I will treasure forever.

The service was a bit spotty, no newspaper was delivered to our door as promised, and when the maids came to bring us new towels (after an extended wait) they left the old ones.

Overall: There is nothing better, not in Chicago, not anywhere. Do not hesitate, just BOOK.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side of the property have excellent views of the Trump Tower.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

We're honored and delighted to have earned your highest recommendation—thank you very much for your kind words and helpful notes, which I will share with my team. We look forward to giving you more excellent visits in the years ahead.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I came for a business meeting and was very impressed by this hotel. Staff is excellent, the property luxurious and very tasteful. Worth a visit you wont be disappointed. The rooms are well appointed snd the bathrooms are large.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words and for your recommendation as a business traveler. We look forward to welcoming you again in the years ahead.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We were at the Langham for a couple of days, and had a fabulous time. At arrival we were greeted warmly and escorted to the welcome desk for a very swift check in. Our notes requesting a room on a higher floor etc. were all taken into consideration. We were also offered complimentary passes to the Back Room (only the best Jazz club in Chicago). Too bad we had already purchased tickets. Getting to our room we found a beautifully hand-written note welcoming us to the Langham for our anniversary and some delicious chocolate bars tied up in a cute ribbon.

The rooms are amazing. Understated opulence! Comfortable beds, lovely bathroom with nice rain shower and lovely Chuan spa products that get re-filled, nice marble vanity with lots of space. I really didn't want to leave the room and go sight-seeing. Could have stayed in there all day. We ordered room service on our first night and lovely table was laid out for us in the room by a very friendly attendant. Food was ok! Some hits, some misses. We enjoyed a marvelous high tea at the pavilion, with lovely sandwiches and sweets. The tea I got was nicely brewed.

The impeccable service at the Langham really stands out!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for choosing The Langham and for sharing so many details from your stay. We appreciate your kind words and notes, and I will share them with the hotel's team. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next Chicago visit.

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I have had the privilege of staying in some very very nice properties all over the country. None of them- not a one- can compete with The Langham. From the second we pulled up in our cab, I was just blown away by the place. I could write volumes about how wonderful it was. I'll limit myself:
1. Stunning property. Spend the $$ on a river view room. I'm a cheapie and normally never would say this but it was worth it.
2. Bathroom - amazing. AMAZING. Rooms- amazing. Champagne and red wine glasses in your room in case you need them- amazing. A lot of thought went into the rooms and it is obvious.
3. Alice in wonderland book in the drawer because it came out the same year as the first Langham property - so thoughtful and witty.
4. Top notch staff. All of them.

The negatives:
1. High tea: not so fab. They could do better.
2. Spa: the space is lovely. Great space, great great amenities. However, I was underwhelmed by the spa services. That was disappointing. They can do better.

Final words: I'm never staying anywhere else in Chicago. If I could stay at The Langham everywhere I go, I would.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Penn B
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is a truly great hotel. From the moment you arrive you know you are somewhere special. The hotel does not seek to shove luxury in your face through overly elaborate decor and furnishings. It knows it's 5 star and its not gong to rub your face in it. What a change from so many US brands whose "never mind the quality feel the weight of the drapes, the twee way we fold the lavatory paper" and the training school greeting. The staff care, they engage with you personally, and they deliver.

Yes it's expensive for Chicago - but if you're used to New York, San Francisco - let alone London or Tokyo - it's a snip.

We didn't eat there - the restaurant seems to be stuck away where it doesn't benefit from the great views down the river to the lake that you get in reception and the bar - where they mix great cocktails!

Don't be put off by the pink and the curlicues on the website - it is definitely not a pseudo-Victorian country house hotel experience!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Malcolm R
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed at the Langham Chicago for the weekend. We had the executive room which was very spacious. The bedding was comfortable and we had a nice view of the city. The bathroom was quite luxurious with towels that were so soft and cushy. The shower was amazing, but you can see yourself in the mirror! There was a high attention to detail by the staff from the moment we walked in. In addition, location was very convenient. We were within walking distance of the theaters, shopping and restaurants. We particularly loved Seasons 52 and Waffles. We would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business