“Chicago's Finest”

Ranked #2 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Chicago's Finest”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I spent a wonderful weekend in Chicago at The Langham! From the moment we arrived until we left, we were absolutely pampered. Our Suite was spectacular with a view of the River and Lake Michigan. This was my second visit to The Langham. Our Butler, Carlos saw to our every need and remembered what our preferences were from the last visit. Carlos is unbelievable!! I can't wait to visit The Langham again - the attention to detail is incredible - you have to experience it to believe it! And, of course, I can't wait to see Carlos again, as he's now our "friend". In short, The Langham is......Perfect!

Room Tip: 8th floor and above have spectacular views!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jaqmo77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Wonderful hotel in super location. Staff very welcoming and efficient. Rooms are beautiful with many nice extras. Spa devine . Will be returning to Chicago for longer vacation and will definitely be booking back at the Langham.

Eagle, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Refinement and the defined art of hospitality. This was our first visit and already looking to visit again. We had a most wonderfully appointed one bedroom suite with a few of the river. The staff is remarkable and engaging. It is no small feat that the hotel is rated number one in the city, well deserved. Congratulations to the Langham team!

Room Tip: Stop to see Kevin in the lounge, passionate about his trade.
Chicago
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I come into the city a few times a year to just enjoy a weekend away from it all. We have favorite hotels including the Trump right across the street but I have to say that The Langham moved to a very high spot on my list of favorites! We arrived just a few minutes after the 3pm check-in time. We were warmly greeted by the doorman and the bell staff immediately jumped in to help us unload our bicycles and luggage. We thought we'd have to store our bikes in our room but they happily took them and assured us they'd be well taken care of and easily available when we wanted them early the next morning - and they were. We entered the hotel and were greeted by a lovely lady in pink who directed us to the elevators and told us where to go to check-in. Though our first impression was office building - in spite of it's pedigree as a Mies Van der Rohe, it is still a brown box and rather plain - exiting the elevator in the hotel lobby disabuses you of that feeling immediately. The decor is exquisite and we started soaking up atmosphere immediately. When we checked in, the room we had booked was not yet ready so they asked if it might be okay to upgrade us. Really? Who would turn down an upgrade?!?!? We happily accepted and much to our delight we were upgraded a rather significant amount because we ended up in a Classic River View Suite with around 1000 square feet of beautifully decorated warm ambience with a lovely view of the Chicago River and State Street. Let me say right here that even if we had been given our original room I'm pretty certain this review would be almost exactly the same. We definitely enjoyed our suite and in the first few minutes thought that if the weather wasn't so gorgeous, we'd have difficulty prying ourselves out - it really was quite the spectacular room (I'll attach pictures). Less than five minutes after entering our room our luggage arrived along with Daniel who walked us through our suite and showed us how to work all the lights, curtains, the Nespresso, etc and assured us that if we needed anything at all, the staff were at our disposal. The entire weekend was just delightful. We have friends in the city so did not utilize the hotel restaurants or spa - something we will have to do another time but we did take a tour and wished we had more time to utilize all the facilities. I do have to agree with a previous reviewer that the beds aren't quite as comfy as those at the Trump but I still slept really well and the room darkening curtains are very effective. The bathroom was beautifully appointed with very nice toiletries from their Chuan Spa. The shower had both a 'rain' shower head which my husband loves and a hand held shower. The water pressure was awesome! My one and only complaint is that the bathroom comes equipped with a night light setting that illuminates the entire underside of the vanities and is far too bright - lit up the entire bedroom. But without it, a trip to the toilet was perilous because you could not see your hand in front of your face once within the bathroom due to those extremely effective curtains. I used my cell phone to light the way. I think it would be beneficial to have a small light just in that area of the toilet. Anyway - small thing - we managed. Since my husband and I are avid bikers and came down this weekend to Bike the Drive, we were delighted to find that just on the other side of the river off of Wabash and Wacker, there is a long ramp (goes behind O'Brien's) that takes you down along the river directly to the lake shore biking/running path. We only had to negotiate one small block of city traffic. What a bonus! We loved the location of the hotel for biking but it would also be awesome for shopping on State Street or enjoying the theater district just across the river. And Michigan Avenue is just a short walk away. The River North area is full of great restaurants too. We had an excellent weekend in the city and The Langham was a big part of it. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Jewelsworld
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This hotel stay was perfect from beginning to end. When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by name and escorted to the club level to check into my room. Once there I offered a glass of wine and quickly checked into a stunning room with views of the river and the Chicago skyline. We had twice daily maid service and the turn down service included placing bottled water by the bed, and linen towels placed on the floor along with slippers for our use. The furnishings were lovely and the controls for lights and everything else were simple to understand and right where you wanted them. The hotel also has a wonderful fitness center, sauna, and indoor pool. The only slightly negative moment occurred when we returned late for dinner and decided to grab a nightcap in Travelle, it was almost closing time but we grabbed a seat at the bar. While the bartenders ignored us, the bar back named Salim welcomed us, quickly wished away all the dirty glasses in front of us and got the bartenders busy making us a very nice cocktail. It staff like Salim and those who took care of us on the Club floor that make this a really outstanding hotel

Room Tip: Its worth splurging for an Executive Club Level Room just to gain access to the morning breakfast, a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We had a great time at the Langham Chicago.

The rooms are absolutely beautiful, spotless and contain everything you may look for.

But it's not just a beautiful hotel in a great location. What makes it special is the service, which is particularly good, including
- the Russian/Polish (?) doorman suggesting a great breakfast place (Sunny Side Up) rather than the one we were going to go based on Tripadvisor (Wildberry Pancakes), which was a much better choice without having to wait for an hour to be seated
- Benjamin delivering our suitcases and explaining the room with a lovely smile and spirit
- the gentleman responsible for the shoe shine ensuring that my old shoes look brand-new for our celebrations
- the concierge enquiring at a pharmacy to ensure they had a supply of crutches when my wife hurt her foot, sending ice to our room immediately and immediately providing me with my Explora Phone for the journey
- the ladies at reception providing an uncomplicated check-in and check-out process

When we return to Chicago, we'll definitely come back to the Langham!

Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have lived in Chicago for 60 years and have enjoyed many of our beautiful hotels! The Langham
is by far the best!!
Less than a year old the old IBM building never looked so good!!
The Grand Suite was as modern and high tech as you can get.....with EVERYTHING first class.The staff was delightful..especially Sheena at the front desk......a pure delight!!
Cocktails in the lounge to kick off the stay was perfect was to start the visit
The "ultimate" perk was a ride in the Langham's shiny Jaguar to our evening's destination...not too bad of a way to travel!! Thanks for a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor and that is a perfect view of the Lake!
Thank Mr.Buffett