“Beautiful hotel but service was not 5 star”

The Langham, Chicago
Ranked #2 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Langham Chicago for one weekend night and were looking forward to the stay based on Tripadvisor ratings. The main disappointment was the service, which was not the seamless experience of a true 5 star hotel. Upon arrival, the bell staff unloaded our luggage from the car but then awkwardly handed the luggage back to us; I would have expected an offer to help us with the luggage up to the 2nd floor reception or even take the luggage directly up to our room. The valet could not spell my last name correctly, even though it is only 4 letters long and I spelled it for him multiple times. The parking charge never made it onto my bill, which caused further confusion and inconvenience upon checkout. The worst service blunder was with housekeeping. We took a nap on the afternoon of check-in and the privacy light was turned on. Housekeeping attempted to enter the room, announcing her presence and knocking but not waiting for a response before opening the door. I have no idea why the room would need servicing at 3 pm on the day of check-in as it was too early for turn-down service. Positives were the front desk staff who were gracious and friendly, allowing us early check-in at 10 am.

The hotel is beautifully decorated, and rooms were spacious and well-designed. It is already showing signs of wear and was not as clean as we would have liked. There was also debris on the hallway floor which was seen at 10 am and still there at 2:30 pm. It is not the most convenient location for shopping on the Magnificent Mile, but the short walk is not too bad. We got a highly discounted rate on Hotwire so we might consider staying here again, but I would not pay full price for this hotel when the service at the other 5 star Chicago hotels is much better.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yvonne C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,660)

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had the pleasure staying here for a brief stay on a trip to Chicago. I could not have been happier. ALL staff are fantastic and can't do enough for you. The rooms are large, fresh, and are full of comforts and numerous amenities. Location can't be beat.

I would not hesitate staying here for business or pleasure. I travel quite frequently, and don't remember staying anywhere this nice for some time.

Room Tip: Corner king rooms may be slightly larger. Hotel is on first 12 floors of a high-rise building and m...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank manktripguy
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Apparently it is the best hotel I've stayed so far. It's just awesome. Starting from the location, room interior and design and ending up with breathtaking views and delicious breakfast. Even the standard room is extremely spacious with incredibly comfortable bed and enormously big flat screen TV. There is a full size bathtub and three types of showers. There is a glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom, and it can be 'frosted' for privacy purposes. If you want to try a really luxurious hotel, its a perfect choice. Not my typical type of stay, but since I had a chance to spend a night here I was excited to do it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Begemoth
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just spent a week at the Langham Hotel in Chicago and had a great time. It's a new, beautiful hotel in a great location, but it was really the people and the attention to detail that made our stay so enjoyable. It seemed like everyone at the hotel went out of their way to be friendly – we really felt welcomed. They looked for ways to make our stay better. For example, when the housekeeper noticed that I was drinking a certain type of Nespresso pod in the room, she left extra for me along with extra creamers. Three days into our stay when I came to the front desk with a question, Dana – the woman who had initially checked me in – remembered my name and room number.

We ate in the hotel's restaurant on several occasions. They have an amazing wine list and the food was excellent. We used the fitness room most mornings and they have good quality equipment and the room is big with good natural light.

The hotel itself was lovely and well designed. We loved the view of the river out of the floor to ceiling windows. I loved the big shower with the large rainfall showerhead. I also loved how the shower and toilet doors opened both inward and outward – which was occasionally helpful when we were both getting ready in the morning. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. I was concerned that the hotel would be noisy because it's right downtown and we stayed on a low floor, but instead it was really quiet. The only day I could hear anything outside our room was one morning when there was some construction in the street.

I was in Chicago for a conference and the convention hotel was full, so I ended up here instead. The rate was comparable to what we would have paid elsewhere, but the Langham was so much better. I'm looking forward to coming here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Got to the hotel late in the evening after a three hour delay in Copenhagen, so I was off to a bad start, but the hotel completely changed my mood. Everything from the doorman to the check-in staff was excellent and so where the rooms, location and hotel in general.

Room Tip: The hotel is great, but for breakfast I would recommend to go restaurant "Sixteen" in the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Amazing place!
Everything is new, great service with personal touch.
Location is great as well, only 5 minutes walking to the center of Michigan Avenue.
We got a huge room with a river view, 55" TV, Bose sound system, nice sitting area and huge bathroom with double sink, and separate toilet and shower.
Turn-down service was great as well, paying attention to the smallest details.
Breakfast was pricey, but excellent as well, with a lot of choices.

Room Tip: Ask for a a River View room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ohad I
Reviewed April 9, 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, it's a beautiful hotel.
The service is very nice.
The location is great and easy to walk to many things.

The food could be better, both room service and in the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends