“Amazing stay!!”

Ranked #3 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have stayed at beautiful 5 star hotels around the country, and this is the first time I am writing a review because people need to know how awesome this hotel is!!

I got an amazing deal on this gorgeous hotel through Hotwire because they are still in the middle of their soft opening. Let me tell you this place is ready for showtime!

Upon arriving the hotel, I was greeted by a very helpful doorman (from my home state) and a very friendly front desk attendant who happily accommodated my request for double beds and river view room.

When I entered my room on the eight floor, I was beyond impressed. The travertine floors were beautiful, the bathroom had two granite sinks, the toilet was separated by a glass enclosure as was the shower/soaking tub. I loved how instantly the glass wall between the shower area and the room became opaque for privacy at the press of a button (at other hotels a shade usually comes down). My ONLY complaint (and this is probably a kink they're still working out) is that water was a little warmer than lukewarm in the shower...I could never get it hotter than that.

The bed was very comfortable. I really loved the view which overlooked the river and you can see Lake Michigan in the horizon. I had the added bonus of watching the Navy Pier fireworks on Wednesday from my room.

There were also smaller, yet thoughtful details to make you feel at home. There was a nespresso machine, giant umbrella (invaluable for one of the rainy Chicago days), and I loved this one...the shower cap even came with a hair tie.

I have no doubt this will be one of the best hotels in Chicago after the grand opening. The staff is top notch, rooms are amazing...this hotel is luxury at its finest!!!

Oh, and I even saw recording artist Jason Derulo! :)

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank MichiganGal421
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences here. Wonderful to hear that you were well rested, and that the views and Nespresso machine enhanced your stay as well. Thank you as well for your note on the water in the shower--there is a button to increase the water temperature, and we need to make this crystal clear to each guest. Again, thank you for visiting and spreading the word about our hotel.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I used to live right around the corner from this brand new hotel and I recalled when the building was actually offices for IBM. What a difference remodeling and upgrades can make to a rather undistinguished edifice. Whoever had the vision for the rooms must have taken cues from Stanley Kubrik's "Eyes Wide Shut" given what appeared to be an intense white luminescence from the strategically placed light fixtures. Another noteworthy feature is the bath/shower is transparent to anyone in the bedroom but at the touch of a "privacy glass" button the large square window clouds up instantly. I think there are good things to come for this place and I am looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank johnnymaze

Thank you very much for staying with us--it's very helpful to hear
about the guest experience from someone who knows Chicago and the area
so well. Glad that you appreciated the privacy glass during your stay
as well. Again, thank you--we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I live in Chicago and stayed here for a week while my house was having some work done. If I had to get stuck moving out of my home, this was certainly a great place to be "stuck." The staff was incredible, from the doormen and bellmen, to the front desk staff, to the restaurant staff, to management. I had a late arrival, and was greeted by the bellman by name, even though this was my first visit. Because the hotel was only partially full, they could have figured out that there was only one person left to check in for the night, but the fact that they made it a point to learn the name of that person ahead of time was symbolic of the overall treatment I received. Everyone thereafter greeted me by name.

I booked the smallest, least expensive room possible, and it was still huge! It had plenty of room for me to unpack a week's worth of work clothes, something I almost never do in a hotel. My first room had a glitch with the bathroom fan so they had to move me after my first night. (Because I was the first person ever staying in that room, they didn't realize there was a problem.) The staff helped carry all my things down to the next room. A few minor glitches in the second room but nothing horrible (a sink handle fell off, but there was a second sink!) and everything was repaired promptly. I guess this is to be expected of a brand new room. It was worth it to be the first person ever in a room and know that no one else had ever used my sheets (soft) or towels (giant bath sheets) or walked barefoot on the carpet (plush). I'm certain that all those glitches will work themselves out. Like other guests have commented, I, too, experienced trouble with the consistency of the satellite TV. On the plus side, there was a built in DVR feature and I was able to catch up and keep up with shows I like.

The negative side was the dining experience, which was not horrible, but wasn't up to par with the rest of the hotel. The new restaurant Travelle didn't open until a few hours after I checked out! Bad timing on my part, apparently. There was a kitchen for meals, and the food tasted good and the menu was broad. (And like everyone else, the staff was terrific.) But, I never received a meal hot, and mostly not even warm, and I'm not even that picky when it comes to hot food. This was true whether I ordered room service (where cold food might be expected), or ordered in the dining area, where there was no one else even there but me. I'm not sure what was happening there. But in the meantime, when I finally did say something, the staff couldn't have been more apologetic and accommodating. Again, I think this is something that will work itself out in time. On my second to last night, when I ordered room service, while chatting with the person taking my order, I casually mentioned that I think on my last night, I was going to treat myself to the milk and cookies when I got back from a late meeting, knowing it would be too late to eat dinner. When I got to my room on the last night, I called down for the milk and cookies and at the same time, room service was already knocking on my door (actually, ringing my doorbell) with the tray of milk and cookies. This meant that someone from the dining room told someone on the main floor that day that when they see me come in to let the kitchen know so they can bring up the milk and cookies (on the house). What a nice, personal touch that cost them very little but meant quite a lot.

I'm hoping to not have to stay in another hotel in my own city again, but if I do, I know where I'd go.

Room Tip: Rooms that adjoin to other rooms don't have full length mirrors, only mirrors in the bathroom fr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank K R

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing so much detail. I
also appreciate your patience with some of the details of your room
and especially the food and beverage service--I have shared all of
your comments with our team. We appreciate your choosing to stay with
us among the many Chicago hotels, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The weekend stay was excellent!!!!!!! the room, was fabulous the view overlooking the river and watching the boats go by was great. The service was outstanding from the time we pulled in front of the hotel until we checked out. The greeter's around the hotel wished my husband a happy birthday whenever we came in contact with them. The turned down service was wonderful turning down the comforter and leaving out robes and slipper's.The hotel and spa is so beautiful we'll definitely stay here again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your kind review--and Happy Birthday once again to
your husband. I am especially glad to hear about the quality of
service and I will be sure our team sees your review. We look forward
to your next stay at The Langham.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

One night is not enough! Elegant, simplistic and refined, you'll want to make sure you have time to soak in all the details. I loved the spa and fitness center - and a pool with Bisazza tile! Classy. The employees are polite, attentive and extremely helpful. They have really created something special with this property, and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephen H
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with a discerning eye. Wonderful to hear that you discovered the pool at Chuan Spa, and that our details and service were to your satisfaction. We look forward to seeing you again in the years ahead.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

What a wonderful stay we had at the luxurious Langham. The staff were all so helpful and gracious, and treated us like royalty. Our room on the 8th floor had a gorgeous view of the city, and it was perfectly quiet and relaxing. They have thought of every detail to make sure your visit is relaxing and comfortable. The furnishings are impeccable, modern and clean and perfectly suited to the classic style of the architect, Mies van der Rohe. This hotel has a lasting quality feel to it - setting the bar very high for the City of Chicago. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong! We heard the Club floor is amazing - next time, we will upgrade so we can st...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

So glad that you had a wonderful weekend—thank you for staying with us and sharing your thoughts. The Langham Club opened earlier this week, with vast views of the Chicago River and skyline, as well as butler service, cocktails, and light fare. We look forward to your next visit to Chicago and sharing the Club Level experience with you.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had an excellent stay at The Langham Chicago. Hotel is brand new. From the moment we arrived the staff were just incredible; They remembered our names (not the easiest to pronounce), and were oh so sweet and helpful. We felt really welcome.

The room is nicely appointed. Bed was incredibly comfortable, rooms are a decent size and all the amenities you need and then some are present. It all had a very nice luxurious feel to it. Pool area was great as well.

Two small complaints, but nothing that could take away the 5/5:
- TV (or actually the signal) was very unstable for the entire four days we were there. Continously stopped, paused or just entirely disconnected.
- A bad miss in service on our last day: We called to get someone help us with the luggage at checkout. Nobody showed, and we had to remind them TWICE before someone finally showed after more than half an hour. No apologies. As one of us were waiting outside and in the reception area we are sure that it was not due to all bellboys being busy (which they didn't claim either) - there were several of them hanging around with luggage carts. Not good.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dusin
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing the details of your stay. I appreciate as well that you shared the minor shortcomings during your time here. We apologize for the missing luggage service at checkout. Also, we are working to repair the satellite connection on some of our televisions. At the same time, I am very glad that you had the opportunity to visit our pool, and that the service and amenities were excellent.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share the details from your stay. We look forward to welcoming you warmly on a return visit.

Robert