“Amazing! The food, the service, the patio!”
Review of Carriage House - CLOSED

Carriage House
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Paulina Street
Description: Given the various types of seating at Carriage House, including outdoor options, there may be additional availability. Please call the restaurant directly to check for reservations. From its origins as a tack room to its contemporary incarnation as a hospitable retreat, the Lowcountry Carriage House has evolved from its rustic roots to offer genteel repose-much like Southern culinary culture itself. Our modern carriage house beckons with both intriguing history and fresh inspiration, enfolding visitors in a simpler way of life where a small plate of shrimp and a nip of bourbon are the evening’s star attractions. Find this culinary excursion in chef Mark Steuer’s menu at Chicago’s own Carriage House, bringing “down south” up north.
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing! The food, the service, the patio!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant was great! The food was really amazing. We started with the best shrimp and grits and fried green tomatoes. The grits were so rich and creamy that I really only needed a fork full to be satisfied. We then shared the skillet cornbread, which is a must have. For our meal we had the buttermilk marinated rib eye. I am not much of a meat eater, however this was the best, juiciest, flavorful steak that I have ever had. There was not one thing that we tried that I would not go back for.

We were lucky enough that we got to sit in the newly renovated indoor patio. It was so cute and romantic. It was candle lit, and the restaurant provided cute little throws that you could put over your shoulders in case you got cold.

I would go here again in a second!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank TravelingTre

“Loved it!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stumbled on this restaurant after trying to get into another but not wanting to wait an hour (it was Chicago's first sunny warm (Sun)day of spring and everyone but everyone was out and about)... Anyway, we waited 15 minutes for a table by sitting on stools next to the kitchen and it started to dawn on us that we had entered southern world--Charleston to be exact. I ordered a Mimosa, Shrimp and Grits and a Biscuit. My daughter had a fried green tomato dish, and my husband went for cornbread and scrambled eggs. Everything was delicious!!!! We enjoyed the atmosphere, staff was congenial. Perfect place. Definitely will go again.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank weedpatch
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the places of 2013”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I went here with a group of friends. This is one of the best restaurants I've been to in 2013 - and that's saying something with so many popping up. Our waiter was very attentive - he took the time to answer our questions and provide recommendations. I had the Charleston she crab soup as an appetizer. It was so flavorful that I passed it around the table because everyone had to try it. We then shared shrimp and grits; picnic board; mushrooms, truffle and egg, carolina gold rice balls, skillet cornbread, crispy braised pork shoulder and some AMAZING ice cream and shortbread dessert.
Out of all the dinner items, the soup, shrimp and grits, skillet cornbread were my favorites. The dessert was to die for. The carolina rice balls reminded me of arancini and the picnic board was just ok, but the overall meal was fabulous.
Aside from the food, the atmosphere is warm and friendly. The space gives me a farmhouse/outdoor BBQ feel. The communal tables are big enough that you aren't on top of one another.
I will definitely be going back!

• Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“I like the interior and the food is above average”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Fairly straight forward review here: Really cute restaurant with a warm interior country type feel, and the food is better than average but nothing amazing. Take it for what it is and you will enjoy. Only downside is they have a very high corkage fee, I would have returned several times since if they cut the corkage fee in half as I take wine everywhere.

Visited October 2012
Houston
“looking forward to what they create next.....”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went to the Carriage House for restaurant week not seeing the menu and having a leap of faith that they would have vegetarian (ecto-ovo-lacto) options. South Carolina cuisine is pork heavy. Well to my surprise, they were able to accommodate. I started with fried green tomatoes (without the shrimp). It was not like the ones I had in NOLA but they were satisfactory. Next came my main of Carolina Grouper with beans and collard greens. It was wonderful. The grouper was very tasty and firm fish and better than the grouper that I had in the Caribbean. My boyfriend ate the greens and peas just in case it was cooked with pork. I concluded the meal with beignets with coffee froth. The froth was a nice element that made the beignets take on a new flavor. My boyfriend had the she crab soup, where he was scraping the the bottom of the bowl. Next came the pork belly with grits. He packed what little he had of the pork belly to make a sandwich later at home. So, I would recommend this place for those who eat fish, but if you are more restrictive, this will be a tough option for you. Happy Restaurant Week!

• Visited February 2013