“Unforgettable Adventure!”

Pullman Rail Journeys
Ranked #103 of 213 Tours in Chicago
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Pullman Rail Journeys offers various amenities for its passengers. With historically accurate train cars, showers, wireless Internet access and power outlets all help passengers make the most of their trip. Pullman offers various holiday excursions including Christmas and New Years!
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Until someone invents a time machine, I'll rely upon Pullman Rail Journeys to take me back to a time when travel was something to be enjoyed, not endured. The rail cars are beautifully appointed, and the service was worthy of a fine hotel. Best of all, Pullman frames their service within a historically-accurate context. It's rare for a younger person like myself to experience what rail travel was like in its heyday. Can't wait to ride again!

10  Thank RossTX

Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you truly want to experience old world charm, elegance and hospitality in rail travel you have to EXPERIENCE PULLMAN~! We just returned from a 10 day adventure that included travel on Pullman and another rail service. NO comparison. Everything was beyond expectation. Many, many, many thanks to Jody, Paul, Kim, Rick, "Smilin' Jack" and all the folks who made this experience so incredible for my mom, daughter and myself. (So sorry but drawing a blank on other Pullman crew names).

Cannot say enough good things about these people, this company and those trains! Everyone traveling Pullman on our 2 legs of the Chicago/NOLA route were so FUN. You cannot help but to become friends with whomever is riding along. The internal set up of these cars demands friendly interaction and conversation. We experienced 2 different dining / club cars and both were arranged in such a way that visiting, sharing stories, photos, info with other travelers was like sitting together in a moving living room. SOOOOO nice!

Highly, highly recommend this adventure.... have FUN :-)

12  Thank R H
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Brian and I recently took the Pullman from Chicago to New Orleans to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.

To summarize our feelings about the trip it would take one word: FANTASIC!!!!

It was clear that every detail was covered and in a positive way regarding the restoration of the Pullman cars to the service provided. The cars are just beautiful. We had the luxury of having the master bedroom in the Mardi Gras car and a bedroom in the Chebanse. Both accommodations were wonderful. It was clear that the restoration of these cars was done with much love. The service provided by the staff (Jody, Jeremy, Paul, Dan) was perfect. We were never felt pushed but comfortably asked. Everything was wonderful including the food – thank you Dan for the great food. Speaking of food – it was a great treat to learn about the tradition of the Illinois railway to have pickled watermelon rind as an appetizer and potatoes Romanoff. Oh, it is so nice to see that you kicked up the “Railroad French Toast”!!! Wonderful!! We have asked Chef Dan for the recipe for the potatoes if he will share.

From the toilet paper to the room accommodations to the food, it is obvious the care and thought put into all aspects of the Pullman Experience.

We are already trying to figure out when we can do this again!

10  Thank Randine H
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I love trains. No, I really love trains. Every time I go to Europe I put overnight sleeper trains in my trips. In fact its a highlight of any trip for me. With that said, it's just not the same here in the United States... until now (affordable that is). Pullman Rail Journeys is a new kind of experience. It's vintage rail travel like that of the 20's - 50's. NOT luxury like the Orient Express, but of days gone by. I was fortune enough a few days ago to do a sight inspection of the train and had a super amazing lunch with cocktails. By the way, the trip is ALL INCLUSIVE. No really, all the food and drinks, even champagne you could want, service in the dinning car, or lounge or even your room. I am scheduled to take a round trip myself in a month and will report back, but for now I have all the photos you could ever want with details on the rooms, as their website is not robust enough for some people (like me :). Maybe I will see the ghost of Marlyn Monroe in the train scene in Some Like it Hot?

They only have space to sleep up to 90 (I think maybe 95). Price ranges from less then $500 each way on up to $2000+ per person.

From website: " Renowned for their stylish, Art Deco design, plush accommodations and superb service from attentive Porters and Stewards, the Chicago-based Pullman Car Company pioneered luxury rail travel with its creation of the world’s first first-class sleeping car."

13  Thank LeattaPerdue
See more reviews
Reviewed April 16, 2013

By Sue McCarthy

Kevin and I decided to take a trip of a lifetime on the rails from Chicago, IL to New Orleans, LA and enjoy the Inaugural Pullman Rail Journey’s upscale classic Pullman experience. It was more than just a train ride…it was the whole experience of riding the rails in style and class. The Pullman was brought back into service and detailed to be as historically accurate as possible.

The whole experience included not only the rail transportation, but also all meals prepared by Chef Boston onboard for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Dining Car
(the Scenic View), all beverages with food and beverage service available 24 hours per day.

The Club Car or Observation Car was a great place to sit and chat with fellow passengers while sipping on a signature cocktail and munching on a bowl of assorted nuts.

There is so much history to tell about the individual Pullman cars: some of the cars were used in WWII to move troops for overseas departures or home, some of the cars transported the rich and famous, other cars were part of the service for the Sante Fe’s SUPER CHIEF, Illinois Central’s CITY OF NEW ORLEANS or New York Central’s 20th CENTURY LIMITED. The cars offer first-class rail travel on the historic passenger train cars that have been fully restored. There are modern conveniences such as, free Wi-Fi, showers and power outlets. The services of your Red Cap, Porter and Stewards, Pullman Conductors and your Wait Staff are as good as those you would find in a five star hotel.

The Pullman Rail Journey arrives and departs from Union Station at 225 South Canal Street, Chicago, IL. We checked in at the lower level Metropolitan Lounge and waited to be called for boarding. Refreshments were provided in the lounge for passengers. The Red Cap loaded our luggage and the Pullman Porter escorted us to our room. The train pulled away from the station at 8pm. Due to the historic rail cars, there is limited service for passengers with mobility issues. Aisle-way wheelchairs can be provided onboard.

Accommodations Onboard

There are four types of sleeping arrangements:
A) Master Room, drawing room, private sink, toilet and shower.
B) Drawing Room, Compartment, Double Bedroom, sink and toilet, shower
by appointment down the hall.
C) Compartment, Double Bedroom/Single Bedroom, sink and toilet, shower
down the hall.
D) Classic Pullman, Lower/Upper Berth, sink, toilet and shower down the hall.

Our room had two chairs, a lower and an upper berth (guess who climbed up the ladder?),
a toilet, sink, a small closet and a shower down the hall. The chairs folded under the lower berth at night when the upper berth was pulled down. We were only in our room to change clothes for dinner and sleep. The wall can be opened ensuite to make room if a family is traveling together. Each passenger received four blue-striped Pullman towels woven just for Pullman Rail Journey’s guests. The bedding had premium white linens, with two pillows and two blankets. Robes were provided on request for our comfort and also for purchase. The closet space is minimal and holds about 6 hangers. We found a little door in the wall marked for shoe storage. After our delicious dinner and a nightcap all we needed now was to be rocked gently to sleep by the gentle rocking of the train as it sped through the night down the tracks to New Orleans.

After traveling overnight, the nineteen-hour journey arrived at Union Station in New Orleans, LA at 3:30pm the following day. Our journey was one-way only, but several of the other passengers had ticketed for a round-trip experience.

Getting to our destination was as much fun as arriving at the destination. There is a current promotion running “Better Together” featuring a Buy One Get One Free pricing through September 2013. www.travelpullman.com

Pullman Sleeping Car Co., LLC