“Simple yet amazing diner food”

The Little Goat Diner
Reserve with OpenTable
The Little Goat Diner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 9,839 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I'm deducting one star for the wait since there were plenty of people who were just 'chilling' at there table (literally for over an hour having finished eating) and they should manage that better. But, the food is well worth the wait. Nothing is over done and while the menu seems 'diner classic' it's all flavorful and sometimes a bit unique. I did the daily special omelet which was pulled pork with an onion cream cheese. AMAZING. We also did a side biscuit which I would go back for entirely. Someone else had the patty melt and fries and we can literally say those were the best fries we'd ever eaten. Again, seasoned, and cooked to perfection. Wait service and food delivery was friendly and super fast! Definitely worth the wait, but they could also do things to cut down that wait.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have read many mixed reviews about the Little Goat so I was quite anxious to try it. We arrived to a 45 minute wait and directed to the “bar/coffee shop” to wait if we wanted. We went in and ordered cappuccino (beautifully and artfully done, and tasty as well). People left the bar while we were waiting and we sat down, the bartender asked if we wanted to order….the regular menu. So we did rather than wait on our table. It was hard to decide what to get all of the options were unique, different and sounded delightful. We both opted for breakfast. I had the omelet of the day which was a crab rangoon omelet full of lump crabmeat and – oh – it was incredible. My husband had the bulls eye French toast that was a mess of different tastes that should not have worked well but complimented each other in the most incredible way. With multiple cups of coffee and a side of sausage to share our bill was $39, which I found to be reasonable for the city. Food was brought by a server, to the bar, and then the server came back to check on us, along with the bar tender. Top notch service, attentive, and knowledgeable. Very enjoyable meal, would highly recommend this place! Reviews I read stated it was just a “diner” but this is really not, it is an eclectic diner with goat on the menu and artfully crafted meals.

1  Thank tinleyparktraveler
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Seating ranges from booths to tables to counter seating. You can wait in the bar until your table is ready. I ordered a drink that had cucumber in it, which sounds like it would be really good, but the cucumber overpowered the other ingredients. I've never had goat meat so was pleasantly surprised at its mild flavor. We had the goat chili cheese fries which were really good and the garlic cheese bread (homemade bread) with a warm tomato onion sauce for appetizers. Yummm. Two of us ordered the barbecue pork sandwich. The sandwiches are huge, equal to four normal slices of bread, so I suggest sharing one unless you want leftovers for another meal. Hers was so juicy it was dripping and mine was so dry I had to ask for extra sauce. It must depend upon who is preparing the sandwich.

1  Thank 59travelmom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Went last weekend when it was wickedly cold outside. This messed up their HVAC because it was swelteringly hot inside. And no...it was not a "dry heat".

The eager to please Mgr was quick to drop off several free apps when our table of 7 was finally seated (the wait was a bit much actually).

The menu is truly imaginative and the food was expertly prepared. The ambiance was great too. the diner has been "effectively re-imagined" by the little goat folk. well done.

My only complaint is, and I know this will sound shocking, the portions are outrageously huge. Kinda gross actually. They, in fact, detract from the excellence of the overall experience. The interesting menu creates a dilemma...we wanted to try many things...for fun....yet we ended up with tons of leftovers...which went to waste. We still have so much to learn from the european approach to food. Focus on quality...not quantity.

"we" americans do not need giant portions. That mentality is out of step with our current food obsessed, body image obsessed culture.

This is soooo easy for you guys to fix.

The "kimchi pancake egg thingy" was deliscious and perfectly named.

And fix that HVAC issue....Please!

Cheers all!

g

1  Thank SkisTheDay
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This was my favorite restaurant of my Chicago visit and the only one I would make a point to visit again. It wasn't as upscale as some others and it wasn't as classic Chicago either. It was creative, delicious, and even fun.

The menu has a good variety. I splurged and went for the waffles with peanut-butter butter, bananas, and maple bacon syrup. It was delicious.

I also tried their soup of the day - a butternut squash with fried Brussels sprout leaves. It was amazing!!

The staff was also so friendly and helpful. They were more than patient when I couldn't decide what to eat and offered great suggestions. Can't wait to go back.