“Fun spot, new neighborhood”

La Sirena Clandestina
Reserve with OpenTable
La Sirena Clandestina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #400 of 9,604 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Melbourne
“Fun spot, new neighborhood”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

It's part of the gentrification of the Chicago meat market (Grant Achatz' Next restaurant is just across the road) and it's a fun spot. Specialising in South American cooking with a distinctive USA twist, there's plenty to choose from and it's of a very good standard. The cocktails going out looked great. It's an easy walk up from the Morgan CTA station or you can get a cab from the city if you're staying downtown. Very enjoyable and good service the day we were there.

• Visited June 2014

Chicago, IL
“Simply delicious”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have been wanting to visit this place for a while and finally had a chance to take an out of town acquaintance last night. Really good. Its a little off the beaten path if you are in one of the downtown hotels. Not more than a 15 min cab ride away depending on the traffic. Worth it. We had the grilled short ribs and the grilled lobster. The ribs were phenomenal. So flavorful. I did not get to taste the lobster (that's another story...) Anyway, we split an empenada (meat version). very spicy but not unbearable and really, really good. We did not even mind that we had ordered the vegetarian version. We split an order of black beans and rice. Nice size for two but if you have more than two in your party you might want to order more. We also split the dessert (cotton cake?) The decor is kind of rustic industrial (wood and steel). Casual. You could wear jeans or a dress and not feel out of place.

• Visited June 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Solid Food, slow service”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I work very close and try to get to this cool spot as much as I can - but now I obey one rule... don't go if you have to watch the clock. As everything here is made by hand and cooked to order, the kitchen moves at a very slow pace. Additionally at lunch, there is just not enough help on the floor.

That said, I love their food and like bringing guests here as it is a hip and funky West Loop hidden gem. Empanadas are flaky and delicious (I especially love when they carry the pork).... kale salad is superb... and sandwiches and plates spot on.

Just make sure you have plenty of time..... :)

• Visited May 2014
Sanibel Island, Florida
“A good dining experience”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was our first experience at this restaurant, our kids second.
The menu is not extensive, but offers up a good variety of dishes. We started with the empanadas which were delicate and well seasoned. We moved on to the fried whole snapper, which at 1.5 lbs, I shared, the other mains were grilled octopus and moqueca. I have sampled fried snapper as specialties at the Hyatt in Estero and in Viet Nam. All delicious, but thus was the best. It was cooked to perfection, moist with a crispy exterior. The moqueca was judged as excellent, even better than expected. My husband pronounced the octopus as superior to any he has tasted. This is quite the compliment as he orders octopus everywhere we travel. The texture was perfect, not one piece was chewy.
As sides, we shared the garlic fries that arrived crispy, just the way we like them and coconut/cilantro risotto, which was quite good..if you like cilantro.
The drink menu is exciting and enticing. The mixes were a huge success. At least 5 were sampled, the favourites being the Pisco sour, the caipirinha and another that had an artichoke infusion.
Dessert was a house mix of salted caramel shortbread cookies and a yummy cake whose name I cannot remember.
The reason I did not give this restaurant 5 stars is that the noise level is loud and the chairs are wooden, school like and really should be replaced to offer more comfort whilst dining on such exquisite fare. As well, as another reviewer commented, we, too were seated right next to the door - not pleasant as the night was chilly.

• Visited April 2014
“Really enjoyable new experience”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I ate here as part of a large group from my company's local office so a fixed menu had been pre-arranged. I really enjoyed everything that was brought out from new items I'd not had before(cold mahi spread and homemade crackers) to a wonderful steak. While I stayed with a couple of different beer selections, some of my coworkers sampled the various specialty mixed drinks on the menu and seemed to really enjoy them. I don't know that I'll have the opportunity to dine here again but if I do I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

• Visited March 2014