“Surprisingly good, casual brunch”
Review of Local Root - CLOSED

Local Root
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Streeterville
Cross street: Ontario
Transit: Walking distance from Michigan Avenue busses.
Description: An oasis of locally-sourced, organic freshness - tucked in the heart of Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood. Casual-by-day, dinner, wine and full bar by night offers a lunch-time lineup of fresh salads, soup, flat-breads, burgers & sandwiches featuring seasonal farm-to-table ingredients alongside house-baked breads, muffins, cookies and our own custom recipe sodas. By night, find seasonal favorites like free-range chicken and bbq pork ribs, grass-fed steak frites and fresh seafood special, teamed with locally sourced organic cheeses and charcuterie boards. A full bar includes local craft draft beers, regional wines and familiar liquor from unfamiliar local brands. Daily brunches offer innovative menu additions like crepes du jour prepared from prairie organic flour with seasonal fruit, bbq brioche and prosciutto baguette and bar service featuring the ever-popular Bloody Mary or your choice.
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were looking for a quick lunch during a business meeting, and found Local Root. The casual atmosphere is friendly and relaxing, and the coffee pot was bottomless. In our business day it was lunch, but as it was a Saturday it was actually brunch. The omelets, sides and sandwiches were all tasty, and no one in our group was disappointed. Our server was friendly and helpful with substitutions and not in the least put out by the request for separate checks. As the name implies, everything is sourced locally and the menu gives full description of the sources. I'd like to come back when I'm not pressed for time. All the signs are I'd be welcome.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Had the brisket omelet with blue cheese, so good! Came with wonderful potatoes and a sweet grilled bread. Cute little place with fantastic food.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Unfortunately I have to write a bad review.

I went there with 8 friends a few weeks ago. It was pretty cold outside and we had a table right in front of the door. It was that cold that the girls had their jackets on during brunch... We asked if it was possible to warm up the place a little bit and the waitress said "We are trying to save money...".

Waited more than 40 minutes for the smallest (but not cheapest) plate ever. 4 potatoes, some bacon and some eggs.

I wont go there again also because I did not like the menu. They do not have coke (even if I don't usually drink it, but had some friends who wanted it and they had to try the "alternative coke").

Again, I'm sorry I have to write a bad review but really had a bad experience. There are a lot of nice/good places around that area and I'm not risking to go there again.

Sonny C, Guest Relations Manager at Local Root, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Luca,

Thank you for taking a moment to prepare a review. We value our customers' feedback very much. We very much regret your experience. As you know, we’ve experienced exceptional sub-zero temperatures this winter. And the chill in the room was certainly not due to our trying to save money. The comfort of our customers is paramount. The response you received was inaccurate and we're sorry that is what you were told.

It’s true that as a locally sourced, sustainable and organic restaurant we don’t sell Coca Cola. The cola we serve is custom made to our recipe specifications by Filbert’s in Chicago. It is remarkable and you should try it!

We’re sure there are items on our menu you would certainly enjoy and hope you will return and give Local Root a second chance.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Charming environment with great food; locally sourced food. No pressure to leave and attentive service. Want to return time and time again.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

At the recommendation of our hotel concierge, we had our Saturday evening dinner on a recent Chicago weekend at Local Root. Just a few blocks off busy Michigan Ave., Local Root provided a quiet atmosphere to chill out after a busy day in the Windy City.

The menu is not extensive, but interesting. We chose two different sandwiches and split them; I also ordered a bowl of cheddar bacon soup. The soup was generously served and was tasty, though I could not detect any bacon. The bread served to our table as well as the bread on which the sandwiches were served was outstanding. Prices were a bit on the high side, but if I want a Saturday night bargain in the heart of Chicago, I will head to the Golden Arches.

I thought the drink menu was extremely interesting. Locally brewed beer; I chose the local hefeweizen draft which was outstanding. Lots of unique mixed drinks. Drink menu was pricey, but I was able to take advantage of the $5 pint special.

The service was friendly and unhurried. I will not call the service slow, because the atmosphere of this establishment lends itself to a leisurely, relaxing meal. I loved the cushy wing back chairs at our window side table.