“Christmas family gathering”

The Guesthouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is to confirm the rave reviews for the Andersonville Guesthouse Hotel. Our family of six shared a 3-bedroom apartment over Christmas that was spacious, spotless, and very well managed. We enjoyed shopping in the diverse array of stores in the immediate neighborhood (especially the Swedish bakery), baked cookies and bread in the well-equipped kitchen, and even hosted an extended family gathering. The management kindly provided a gift of champagne and excellent chocolates! I've stayed in many vacation rental apartments, and this one was hands down the most pleasant and professionally managed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us! I am so happy we could add to your holiday experience and that you enjoyed the gift our Guesthouse Elves left for you! We're so lucky to be in this amazing neighborhood with local gems like Swedish Bakery. There is always something new to discover, so we look forward to your return very soon! And remember, returning guests receive a 10% discount off our standard rates! All the best for the New Year!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Chicago is one of the great cities of the world. So much flavor, so many neighborhoods, such a distinct personality. Recently revisited Chicago, stayed in a "neighborhood," the up-and-coming Andersonville. Andersonville Guesthouse? How cool. Here's the bottom line: A flavorful, textured n'hood, filled with cool stores (from 1-10) and amazing eateries; nicest people I've met, at any given venue, in years; and the Guesthouse? OK, here's the deal (from someone who rents apts. around the world): Huge space, nicely appointed, anything and everything you could want is there, from soap, etc., to culinary implements that I no longer possess at home; management is beyond wonderful, certainly world-class but more than that; no intrusiveness, which is important to me, but one is aware of "caring" from the management if one should need it; every single person with whom I dealt, from the Guesthouse to any and every shop or cafe or restaurant which I visited, was dear/amazing/lovely/stunning. Is this an accident? No. So, I return to the Andersonville Guesthouse, which starts the tour, advance to the n'hood with its amazing stores and eateries. I am left with this query: Am I imagining this?

Room Tip: I am not a "difficult" person, by any means, but I must have my creature comforts. This w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Jan,

Thank you very much for your review! I am so glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and took time to explore our wonderful neighborhood. With so many things to see and do in our great city, we cherish coming home to our neighborhood with its amazing restaurants, charming shops and smiling faces. I am delighted you were able to do the same and “live like a local!” It only leaves us imagining when you might return!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I do not take the time to write many reviews on Trip Advisor, but I feel so strongly about this location - I will take a moment of my valuable time. I have stayed at these units at least 5 times and it is the only place I would consider when visiting Chicago. Having parking is great, access to both bus and the train is a bonus. It's easy to walk to all the great restaurants in Andersonville, and delivery of food is a breeze! The steam shower is a treat! Everything is clean and plenty of towels and sheets. The washer and dryer are nice to have so you can head back home with all your laundry already done!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for the taking time to write such a lovely review! Returning guests are always a great compliment and having one that visits so many times makes it that much nicer! I am so glad you have been enjoying our wonderful neighborhood on your visits to Chicago. We’re delighted to be called your home when visiting Chicago and look forward to welcoming you back for #6!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our family takes a 4-5 day trip each year to a different MLB ballpark and in 2013 we descended on Chicago. We are always looking for something more than "just a hotel," somewhere where we can cook together, play cards and just get all 16 of us together in the same room.
Andersonville Guesthouse was IT in Chicago! Each unit was like a nice-sized apartment, beautifully appointed, fully stocked kitchen and spotlessly clean. The cost per couple came to less than it would have cost to stay in a hotel and eat out for each meal.
Andersonville is great neighborhood with restaurants and pubs in walking distance of the Guesthouse, if you choose to use them.
We would stay here again, absolutely!! Also there is a concierge who helped us with luggage storage, directions in the city and was an all around great guy. Can't say enough good about the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay with us. It was great meeting you and your family during your ballpark reunion. Nothing is more Chicago than catching a Cubs game at Wrigley Field! Having family and friends gather here let’s Andersonville Guesthouse become a home rather than just another hotel and I’m happy we could create that experience for you! I’m so glad you were able to explore our wonderful neighborhood with its great shops and restaurants. Andersonville is such a gem and we relish in sharing it with our guests. Please let us know when you’re ready to continue your ballpark tour…perhaps the White Sox next time? We look forward to welcoming you back then!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I hosted 6 friends from college here in late July. We go to a different city each summer and we all agreed this was the top place we've stayed over the years. The general manager, Rick Verkler, from the beginning of my inquiry, communicated fully and quickly to questions. Once we got there, he helped us figure out transportation, restaurants, and other tips to help us have a great trip. There is room for one car to park (garaged); the place is right on the Clark 22 bus, and less than half a mile from the Red Line subway/el (which takes you downtown). Both are fast and safe. You are also fairly close to Wrigley Field (also on Clark Street). Andersonville feels like a neighborhood, which is a great way to explore Chicago, where neighborhoods are a key feature. We had originally wanted to stay in the Loop, but are really glad that didn't work out, as this place was perfect. I recommend a unit on the top floor, as you have some nice views. There is no pool and no fitness room, not that we had time for those, since we were so busy exploring Chicago!

Room Tip: We liked the room that overlooked Clark Street on the top floor. We didn't find it noisy at nig...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Simona K, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Hello and thank you for taking time to write such a thoughtful review! We’re so glad your enjoyed your time with us and took time to explore our wonderful neighborhood. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods and we feel Andersonville is tops! We’re always so happy to spend time with our guests and help them discover the real Chicago. I’m glad you found our information and tips helpful. I look forward to your return to Andersonville Guesthouse when, as a repeat guest, you will receive a 10% discount off our standard rates!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Previous reviews have properly praised the great features of Andersonville Guesthouse ("AG"). I endorse the high praise for the excellent features of accommodations. But I also have several criticisms ...

AG's reservations policy is daunting. $200 non-refundable deposit upon booking; then the entire rental charge due and payable 30 days in advance of arrival.

AG's other policies (rules) also make for worrying reading, with many threats of "fines" and "fees" for violations... although I have no idea how they might be applied in practice, because I didn't infringe on any of them. Examples: -
Failure to comply with check-in / check-out times? "Guest may be subject to a minimum fine of $250."
Damage to the property? "... will result in a minimum fine of $250" in addition to repair costs.
No smoking, even "within 20 feet of the Guesthouse". "A $500 fee will be charged for violating this policy and Guest may be evicted".
Removal of trash. "Failure to take garbage outside and place in the dumpsters will result in a $250 fine."
Quiet Hours. "Violation of this policy may result in a $250 fine and possible eviction."
"... disturbance to other guests will result in a minimum fine of $250."
"Guests will be charged $50 for every set of keys lost and $100 for the garage door opener if lost."
The excessive and repetitive emphasis on fines for policy violations makes AG sound like a harsh military school, not a haven of rest for mature, sensible, considerate adults.

Another criticism, that was not wholly of AG's making, but perhaps should have been reflected in a discount for its rather high prices: -
Anyone staying in one of the rear apartments, those facing the alley rather than Clark Street, will have endured much noise and disturbance in the summer of 2013. Immediately adjacent to AG, to the North, construction (6 days a week) of AG's new apartment block. A few yards South of AG, another construction site (apparently more apartments). And, just across the alley, yet another apartment building (facing onto Ashland) under construction. Constant noisy use of heavy equipment, plus hammering, sawing, etc. No peace and quiet outdoors at all.

But, if these criticisms and warnings do not worry you, be assured that you will enjoy staying at AG. I stayed at AG because one of my children, resident in Andersonville, was about to have her first baby. I wanted to be close, but not stay at her home. AG's location was perfect. And AG offers much more desirable accommodations than any of the motels in the general area of Andersonville. I would stay at AG again.

Room Tip: Sound proofing at AG is good. Request a "front" apartment (overlooking Clark Street) while...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ManxJack
Simona K, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of Andersonville Guesthouse and congratulations on the birth of your grandchild! We always enjoy hearing from our guests and greatly appreciate the feedback. We owe much of our success by listening to our guests and taking their suggestions constructively.

As a vacation rental property, some of our reservation policies and guidelines differ from a traditional hotel. We post our policies on our website and ask every guest to review them during the reservation process. While we do ask for a $200 initial payment to secure a reservation, the majority is refundable provided proper notice is given. As a small family owned property, cancellations can be difficult to re-book since we never oversell our rooms.

The vast majority of our guests are extremely respectful and considerate however, there are a small number of guests who take advantage of our good hospitality. Smoking and property damage policies are in place to deter such guests, allowing everyone to enjoy a comfortable stay with us. As we expand to become a boutique hotel, we will be reviewing many of our policies and thank you for your thoughtful suggestions.

We are very excited about our expansion, which will add 15 new units to our property. Since construction began, we have been proactive in notifying our current guests and letting potential guests know prior to reserving with us. We have also included an announcement on our website.

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate your feedback and suggestions. We look forward to welcoming you back to Andersonville Guesthouse when visiting your family.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

David & Simona,

We had another excellent stay at Andersonville Guesthouse. I wanted to let you know that everything was as we expected and then more. The location is nothing short of perfect for our needs. The neighborhood is fantastic and we are made to feel as if this was our on personal home.

As this is our second stay I thought I would offer up as a few improvements that I think can only make a great place better. Service from Rick was excellent and I appreciated being let into the unit early so the caters could setup everything for my event. There is no doubt that we will be back and that my some of my friends will become quest of your establishment.

Finally, Congratulations on the expansion (family and business). I am sure the rooms will be very successful, but why the name change? Seems like you have a good thing going why confuse people?

Warmest Regards,

Russell L. Cotton

There are a few minor improvements that would make Andersonville Guest House much better.

1) There are way to many flood lights for this place not have them on dimmers. Dimmers are an inexpensive $12-$25 option that would help with lighting the place. I would suggest the hallway ,living room/kitchen, and master be placed on dimmers. Also, maybe some labels above all the switches (there are quite a few, it feels like a little trial and error when flipping a switch).

2) Bathrooms are great, but the extra small bathroom floor mats need to replaced with larger ones. The master has double vanities so there should be two mats.

3) Scissors should be included in the kitchen. You never know when you need to open something.

4) TV wired into the surround sound system would be nice as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rlctexs
Simona K, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Russell,

Having a guest return is a wonderful compliment and we thank you very much! I am so glad you felt at home and were able to entertain your friends comfortably during your stay. We strive to not only meet our guest’s expectations, but exceed them, and I am happy we achieved this on your most recent visit. Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. We owe much of our success from listening to our guests, understanding their needs and when appropriate, implementing new ideas.

We look forward to welcoming you back and introducing you to The Guesthouse Hotel.