“Very Good”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Streeterville
Cross street: East Walton and North Mies Van Der Rohe Way
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This place wows from the menu to the service. High quality ingredients with a personal touch. The price is up there, but worth it if you know that your going to a special place. they still paint their own touch to what is becoming more common in this country anymore.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great, authentic cuisine. Didn't make a fuss when we showed up with two children -- although they did put us in a corner where no one could see us. Very friendly staff.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I really wanted to love Masaki. I love Japanese food -- and after reading so many great reviews (on tripadvisor and elsewhere), I thought it might fill an empty spot in the Chicago dining scene - truly high-end, Japanese cuisine at a Michelin-level standard. I was extremely disappointed. It just didn't hit the mark.

I'll start with the good - the dining room is really nicely appointed. It's tiny - kind of makes you feel you're in Tokyo. And the overall decor is very well thought out. Unfortunately, it was downhill from there.

First of all, the menu is different than what's online. The key reason I wanted to visit was because they had a vegetarian tasting menu. Well - on the menu (apparently they've just gone to a new menu), very, very few vegetarian options (actually, none of the tasting menus were offered). To their credit, the chef ended up making me that same vegetarian menu that is online. My carnivorous other half had a sashimi roll and the seared duck. The problem was that the food, despite being very pretty and artfully presented, was just bland overall. Japanese food doesn't use a ton of spices; however when it's done well it's still extremely tasty because the flavors of the ingredients are brought out. Well, you will get far tastier Japanese food at any number of restaurants in Chicago - Japonais, Roka Akor, Sumi Robata Grill, even Gyu-Kaku.

Not only that, but we were rushed. Our reservation was at 10:15pm. We'd finished our meal by 11pm and asked for an extra miso soup. Well, the kitchen had already closed. They then brought over a little tray of complimentary sweet bites - the type of thing that you get right before the bill. Umm...no dessert menu? So, I asked for one. "Sorry, the kitchen already closed". The waitress walked away but I think she caught my shocked look because she brought back the dessert menus and said the chef could make us something if we liked. But at that point I really wasn't interested. What restaurant closes the kitchen before going around to the tables and letting people know? And what restaurant is prepared to serve up the bill without even offering dessert???

This is not up to the standard I thought it would be and I was really disappointed. We won't be back.

1  Thank Sunny77777
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Everithing was great: very fresh and perfectly prepared sea foos, a good wine list, just the cookies at the end were not good.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I love sushi. This is was our first visit to Masaki; it is an intimate seating arrangement; we had no idea that a party of 3 would be seated at the sushi bar (we were not told this upon making a reservation) which was a little awkward for conversation but not detrimental. The presentation of the dishes was beautiful. We had several "flights" of sushi and ordered entrees (mine was the duck and our friend ordered the tuna); the proportions were perfect as the "flights" were quite filling. Not being a duck connoisseur, my duck was pretty darn good. The sushi was good but it was not excellent; not one that makes you go "mmmm." Sake was great; my favorite part was the serving of the tea; had the Matcha green tea and the server was kind enough to offer me the chance to smell the tea leaves before he poured the water which is not anything I have done before. For that simple but unique experience, I give service an "awesome" star! For dessert I do recommend the matcha green mousse--yummie!