“4 stories of character”

Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N Wabash
Description: Charming historic brownstone serving delicious breakfast & lunch. Coffee Shoppe on lower level.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were told this one one of the few building to survive the Chicago fire. It's brick structure may explain that. The atmosphere was a treat, the service was great, the food was good. Be sure to place your pin in the map of the world at the front door.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is an outstanding breakfast spot near downtown Chicago! The service at this place is unmatched - I have never encountered such tremendous service at a restaurant. We went during breakfast and it was amazing. The place is very clean and they have about two floors of seating. The bathroom was pretty clean too. The meal was amazing. I believe I had a skillet. The prices are moderate, pretty much all the breakfast meals including omelettes and skillets are $10+. Highly recommend! They also make their own butter for toast!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

On my first trip to Chicago, my daughter suggested this place and we weren't disappointed. My husband ordered the bacon pancakes, I ordered off the Fall Specials menu and got the pork with spinach and cheese with a sunnyside up egg on top; my son-in-law got the chiliquiles and after he let me taste them, I wished I'd ordered those. My daughter got the Southern breakfast so we could determine whether the biscuits and gravy were really southern (we are from the south). And, yes, they were! No one left disappointed and I will definitely be back on my next visit.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I would come here every time I am in Chicago. Dined in, and I will be trying the coffee shop next time, too. The building is gorgeous, as well. Great service.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband and I, and friends from England, discovered Sunny Side Up while vacationing in Chicago. It was a five minute walk from our hotel. Here you can get coffee and pastries downstairs, and a full service breakfast upstairs. The food is excellent, well presented, and delicious. Most impressive, though, was the atmosphere that the staff of the cafe created. We went three times and each time observed staff showing special attention to children and older people; they were friendly in a sincere way, not jaded by tourists of which there must have been many despite this being a well-regarded local spot. Best of all was Billy, our waiter for all three breakfasts. Service with a smile and a quip was what he clearly loved to give. Billy, we would come back to Chicago just to walk into Sunny Side Up and experience that cheerful attitude once again. Thank you for the going-away pastries - this made our day.