“Clean, Fresh; Small Rooms”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #16 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Clean, Fresh; Small Rooms”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in December, 2013, during a holiday visit to Chicago. The price we paid (~$125/night) was very reasonable for downtown Chicago.

The hotel's location, on Illinois Street, was good--it's a short walk to a red line CTA stop, Michigan Avenue's shopping, and other downtown attractions. The hotel is within walking distance of several restaurants (including Rick Bayless' delicious establishments, right across the street). The hotel is on the same block as a few clubs, so late at night the crowd can be a bit of a 'party' crowd, but it was nothing too annoying.

Service throughout the stay was excellent. We were warmly welcomed at check-in, with Marriott Rewards status recognized and requested room type assigned. Every time we entered the hotel, staff welcomed us back, and the valet staff was happy to help find a taxi (which were readily available each time we needed one). Housekeeping did a good job with replacing toiletries, towels, etc.

The hotel's decor was modern, though a bit corporate-feeling. Colors were bright in the lobby and in the room. The room itself was small--small closet (could only hold a handful of shirts), only the bed (no sittting chair/couch area), and a small desk. The room was well-designed for the size, however, with the desk being on wheels, a small refrigerator tucked into the closet area, nightstands integrated into the headboard, etc. The bathroom had a nice-sized walk-in shower. The only design flaw was the limited number of outlets--no outlets by the bed, and barely in the wall. It was surprising that a relatively new hotel had such a shortage of outlets.

The room was very clean, as were hallways, etc. Internet was free and worked well. The bedding was acceptable but nothing fancy--sheets were relatively thin and pillows cheap. The air in the room was very dry, but that's nothing surprising for hotels.

There appear to be lots of complaints about noise in other reviews, but we had no issues with noise during our stay. Our room faced the back of the hotel--bad view (parking garage), but no noise.

Overall, certainly not the nicest or fanciest hotel I've stayed-in in Chicago, but met my expectatiosn for a Fairfield Inn and delivered a nice stay considering the price. Wouldn't be my first choice, but also would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are likely to be more quiet, since the hotel is across the stree...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
What a wonderfully comprehensive summary of your trip to Chicago! I want to thank you for taking the time to add to our online reputation and with such detail and high remarks. I am very happy to hear you thought the service was excellent and that the hotel and rooms were very clean - cleanest and friendliest is what we go for, so thank you for acknowledging! I also wanted to let you know that we have recently been approved my ownership to go ahead and add that same charging station that is on the desk, over by the nightstands in order to give our guests more flexibility during their stay. Glad to see that you would return, thank you again, and enjoy the holiday season!

Matt Noonan, Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Took the train to Chicago for a little get away. We had a great stay at this hotel. The customer service was really remarklable, without feeling oozy or over the top. It seems the desk clerks were jack of all trades, and seemed happy about the various duties they were required to manage. In the mornring when we checked out, the desk clerk also slipped my 8 year old neice a travel treat.

The rooms were very modern and clean, with comfy play and sleep components. Everything was in fine order.

Breakfast was nothing fancy, but was sufficient. Since bfast is free, it allowed us to spend our money on way more fun stuff. They kept the dining room tidy in spite of it being busy, and had plenty of space to sit.

Wi Fi worked well.

]Fire station noise could have been have been a problem, but with fair warning from other reviewers, expectation was set. Ear plugs are provided, but honestly - did not bother me.

The only challenge was that with an 8 year old, the walking distance to many attractions was a bit far, and I am too cheap to use a taxi. The upside is that we got great exercise to work off my favorite Lou Malnati's pizza!

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with everyone! It sounds like you all had a great time visiting Chicago and I am very happy to hear that our staff was able to be a part of that. We are very fortunate to have a staff that truly cares about making sure each and every guest has a positive experience and I am very happy to hear that this resonated during your stay. Enjoy the holiday season and come back soon!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My family and I traveled here on points from PA just to see the Chicago Bears game. I read a lot of the reviews about the noise and had a lot of concerns before checking in. We were given a room right on Illinois street across from the firehouse, which my kids thought was so cool and honestly it wasn't that bad. Saturday night was noisy but we didn't mind it. We came to experience Chicago, so noise is part of the city life. The location was perfect to walk to local attractions and restaurants. Our room was very clean, breakfast was OK (free so cant complain). The valet parking is pricey, but well worth the convenience. It served us well and we loved Chicago!!

Room Tip: Take noise canceling headphones if firetrucks bother you.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Go Bears! Glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and that the Fire Department wasn't too much of a bother and that it actually positively added to your kid's experience! Next time you're traveling through the Windy City, be sure to look us up. Take care!

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The three best things about this hotel are location, complimentary buffet breakfast and free WiFi in the rooms, followed closely by a very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient staff. This hotel is very convenient to everything downtown - Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, and great restaurants. We stayed on points so I can't really comment on value other than the points requirement was less than other Marriotts downtown. It is relatively small (180 or so rooms) which is good. No problems getting breakfast when we wanted it or getting an elevator. The rooms are an adequate size with an adequate bathroom - one sink but a nice large shower. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on a HIGH floor in the BACK. There is a fire station across the street in...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rwalk1009
I want to thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip to Chicago and for adding to our online reputation. I am very happy to hear that the amenities and the service provided to you were your favorite parts of your trip! We take pride in providing our guests with the essentials, accommodating the best we can with any requests, and delivering a level of service that makes your stay as enjoyable as possible. While we cannot control the noise from the Chicago Fire Department, we do offer rooms in the rear of the hotel that tend to be more sheltered from the city noises. Thank you for your Marriott loyalty and we look forward to seeing you back sometime soon we hope!

Dana Point, California
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I appreciated the suite upgrade as a Marriott Platinum member as well as the high floor. The room was perfect for our two night stay, the bed was very comfortable, and we were not bothered by the occasional sirens from the fire dept. This is the city after all. Breakfast was fine and I thought the staff did a great job keeping up with the high level of activity.

After checking out we took a side trip to Indianapolis, and returned to Chicago a couple of days later just prior to catching our flight. Even though we had checked out a couple of days earlier, the front desk staff was happy to store our bags while we had a final lunch before heading to the airport. I think this shows extraordinary hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Fantastic! I am so pleased to hear that you and your wife were able to enjoy a memorable trip to Chicago and that our hotel and staff were able to be a part of it. Your Marriott loyalty shows that you have a lot to compare us to, so thank you for the kind words and seal of approval! Thank you for taking the time to share this with everyone and we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We came here on points, and for free this was good enough. But, if I had to pay, I would surely go else where. We arrived at about 10 in the evening. We requested a room on an upper floor because we read about thenoise due to its location -- across from the firehouse. However, we were given a room on the third floor. We voiced our complaint, and they gave us a room on the 6th floor. I just wished they would have done that from the start, instead of having to change rooms and waste 30 minutes so late in the evening.
The room was very sleek, and it was not at all functional. If you want to stay for a couple of days, and like to unpack (like we do), there is no drawer place for clothes. The water pressure in the shower is nominal. The lighting in the bathroom was also very poor. there was no vent in the bathroom, which translated into trying to wipe the mirror down after a shower. this was also a bit difficult, because the depth of the sink was such that you have to have really long arms to do this well.
The white curtain in our room had a very large stain on it, which just made the room feel dirty. I did tell the front desk about it the next morning, and they did try to spot clean it, but it should have been done the right way, by taking it down and cleaning it thoroughly.
We needed to use the phone to call the front desk. Again, very sleek, but who wants to be taught how to use a phone in this day and age? It took us 15 minutes to figure out how to dial the front desk!
The alarm clock did not light up at night, so it was impossible to see what time it was. We asked the front desk in the morning about it. The woman said she would ask engineering. Later that day when we came back to the room, after being gone for 10 hours, the clock was still not illuminated. We went out again for dinner. When we came back, we asked another front desk clerk about the clock and she said that there was another complaint about the clock and it did not light up because the clock did not have a battery. She said she would send someone from engineering up to put in a battery. In the meantime, I was thinking, this should have been solved after the first time we mentioned it in the morning. The gentleman from engineering came up and as it turned out, the clock did not light up because it was not plugged in. It wasn't plugged in because there were not enough outlets by the nightstand. There weren't enough outlets by the nightstand due to poor design. I know the minimalist look is back in, but to me, function is much more important!

Room Tip: Upper floor only, but go somewhere else, if you can.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
I wanted to apologize again for the issues that you have encountered during your stay. While these issues are not typical, it still doesn't excuse that your experience here was negatively affected due to them. I know we have spoken in person this evening and I sent you a follow up email as not to continue to disturb you while you relax in the room, but like I said, please do not hesitate to reach out to myself or someone at the front desk should you need anything before you check out tomorrow. Safe travels and we look forward to the opportunity to provide you with a much more relaxing stay in the future.

Regards,
Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 2, 2013

From the moment I walked in the door I was impressed with this property and in particular the staff. I was offered an upgrade to a suite when I arrived as I was staying for 4 nights. I originally declined but after seeing a normal room I thought the upgrade price was very reasonable so I switched. The suite was large and spacious, definitely a nice place to stay for 4 nights. I was right around the corner from the elevator but it never disturbed me. I cannot say enough about the staff. The people at the desk were always friendly and helpful. The gentleman that greeted me at the door always asked me if I needed any assistance. They even lent me an umbrella when it was raining. The gym is nice with new equipment and very clean. There are so many places to eat around this hotel, I wish I could have stayed longer. If I end up at another meeting in this area of Chicago, this will definitely be the place where I chose to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Wow! What a great description, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with everyone. Our mission is to provide you with an exceptional experience and not just a room to sleep, so I am happy to hear we delivered on this and I will be sure to share this with our team. I am very pleased to hear that you will defnitely return, and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Regards,