“Outstanding in every way”

Hyatt Place Chicago / River North
Ranked #47 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Really, I cannot praise this hotel highly enough. The bed was super-comfortable, the room frankly embarrassingly enormous, and decor just spot-on. Bathroom perfect, wifi super-fast, breakfast a great range. And staff super-friendly. Location is brilliant just a few minutes away from Magnificent Mile or Lake Street and the center. Sure we were near a fire station which did cause sirens early morning, but the windows muffled the noise quite well.

Yes, I know I've just filled this review with superlatives, but there's not much else to say. Just stay here... You won't be disappointed. Hyatt Place have hit the perfect balance with quality/value/facilities.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

We appreciate all of your praise and feedback. We enjoy all of the superlatives, and you are certainly welcome to use them on your next visit to our hotel. Thank you for being our guest, and for taking time to share your experience.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Chicago / River North

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is a great place to stay if your looking for a hotel downtown. The staff made the stay amazing, and the breakfast was awesome. They supplied ear plugs to block the city noises if u need them. I did not use them since the room was very quite.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Greetings Dale,

While we do have many a peaceful night here in Chicago, the reality is we are in a big Urban environment. We understand that our guests deserve a restful night, so we like to have options in place for those more eventful nights. I'm pleased you had a quiet stay, and hope we can provide you with another great stay in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Hyatt Place Chicago River North

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the location for our Valentine's Day getaway 2014. The hotel is new and the price was perfect. The staff and local restaurants made the trip very enjoyable....but the room HVAC was horrible. The air return, thermostat and outlet vent were all located on the same wall which from a thermal/mechanical system setup having the thermostat within inches of the vent caused the unit, which should blow hot air in intervals, to blow hot air continuously at 90 degree temperatures. We were transferred to another room and we had a similar problem but in this case the unit blew hot air and then cold air to immediately cool the room, most HVAC units use the ambient temperature of the room to judge the heating the cooling. Needless to say we were either freezing in the room or were burning up sweating. This is a very poor design and setup for the HVAC system, other than this issue the hotel itself was very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Greetings Kevin,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Place Chicago River North. I'm disappointed that you had a less than stellar experience and I thank you for your feedback regarding our HVAC unit. I will discuss this issue with our Engineering team so we may promptly address the matter. Please accept my sincere apologies, and feel welcome to contact me by calling the hotel directly at 312-755-1600. I would love the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Place River North for work purposes recently and was really happy with my stay at the hotel and would highly recommend this property. Rooms are much larger than your traditional Chicago guest room, furnished in a modern and clean style and very comfortable. There is a very busy fire station across the street from the hotel, and as such, I asked for a quiet room on a high floor - if you are concerned about possible noise, I'd suggest doing the same, but recognize that you might then have a room without a view. My room looked out onto another building, but was absolutely silent, which was perfect for me, especially as I was staying at the hotel for business and really just for sleeping!

As others have noted, the breakfast each morning is fantastic - a great selection of items, from fruit & cereals to tasty breakfast sandwiches, and I thought this was a great differentiator for the Hyatt Place, and something that many other "standard" hotels do not provide.

The location of the hotel is also terrific with a lot going on in the popular River North area, so I'd highly recommend this property for both business & leisure travellers.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room without a view, ask for one that faces away from the street - mine was pret...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler104
Joshua S, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your comprehensive review, and look forward to your next arrival.

Kind Regards,

Hyatt Place Chicago River North Management

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Very attentive and personable staff, in a great city location with proximity to many great restaurants. Hotel is very new, with large spaces, aery, and plenty of light. The menu although not extensive offers enough variety to satisfy a happy hour snack. Wonderful warm chocolate cookie. Very tasty free breakfast for a limited service property. Better than some full service properties. Will stay there again as well as return to this flag

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Nicolas,

We are delighted to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel. Many of our guests have similar comments regarding our location, staff, rooms and amenities - and I never tire of hearing the great feedback. Thank you for being our guest, and for sharing your review.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Place for three nights in what was my first ever trip to Chicago, and I would definitely return here. It's a really nice property smack dab in the centre of the city, and it's tremendous value for your money. The room and other facilities were immaculately clean and well appointed, and the complimentary breakfast was quite good - a refreshing departure from the sad excuses for free "breakfasts" offered at many hotels. The arty decor in the rooms and elsewhere is appealing, and the staff were wonderful. My only complaint was the fire station across the street, but there's not a whole lot anyone can do about that. All in all it was stellar and I look forward to coming back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Benjamin F

Greetings Benjamin,

We hope you enjoyed your first visit to the Windy City. Hyatt Place offers guests all of the amenities to make a great stay - including an amazing breakfast - at a great price. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel. My wife and I stayed there for our anniversary. The people were generally very nice and the place was clean. It is centrally located. The only issue is the fire station across the street.

• Stayed: December 2013

Happy Anniversary!

We thank you for choosing to spend your special day with us. Perhaps this will begin a tradition of our hotel as your clebration location? Thank you for being our guest, and on behalf of the Gallery Team we wish you continued happiness in the years to come.