“Awesome Hotel”

Ranked #51 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
London, Canada
“Awesome Hotel”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and friends while travelling to Chicago from Ontario. We loved this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful always giving us directions and waving down cabs. The rooms were very clean, modern and pretty sound proof. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, although it became quite busy on the weekend. The staff that were in charge of that were very patient, helpful and pleasant. The only thing that wasn't so great was that the hotel was across from a fire station, which could be noisy at times, however, we never heard anything from in our room. I would recommend this to anyone, but especially to families!!

Room Tip: There is no pool or spa! Get up early if you don't want to stand in line for breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alyssa O
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
A hotel is only as awesome as its guests, and we have the best! Thank you for making us your hotel of choice while visiting from Ontario. We do have a great AM Skillet, which draws in a large crowd, but our extended seating in our Gallery provides plenty of room to accommodate our guests. We also provide trays to our guests who would like to dine in the privacy of their rooms. We hope you enjoyed Chicago, and hope to be your first choice in accommodations for any future reservations!

Many Thanks,

Hyatt Place Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Barnet, Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is the 2nd time I've stayed in this hotel, good location, really good service from all staff.

Bedrooms are clean and modern, room was cleaned really quickly but spotlessly clean, no matter what time I left the room - sometimes 2 or 3 and it was still clean when I got back.
The TV was modern and had a planner so I could see what programmes were on now and next and had handy ports at the front so I could plug my ipad in and watch programmes from my ipad on the TV.

Lots of sockets in handy places, by the desk and by each side of the bed. I usually end up un-plugging lights etc in other hotels, so very pleased that they had put some thought into this.

Wi-fi really speedy, had to log in each day but didn't take long and could have 5 devices, which was very handy.

I didn't notice the noise from the fire station. I was on the 11th floor, not sure if that was why.

Breakfast for toast and cereal was good, my favourite thing about breakfast was that they didn't insist on showing me to a table, you can sit where you want, but if you needed anything from the staff, they were always close by and quick to clear plates etc. Tea and coffee stations were set up by the elevators so if i didn't have time for breakfast, I could grab a tea before heading out and didn't need to go to breakfast to get it.

Good location for food and shopping.

The only thing this hotel needs was a safe in the room - not that anything got stolen, but it would have given me peace of mind.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ms. Fernandes,

Thank you for sharing your recommendation of the Hyatt Place Chicago River North with other Trip Advisor Reviewers. Seasoned business travelers like you have a keen eye and notice the little details such as the plug and play options on the televisions, easily accessible outlets and strong, continuous Wi-Fi throughout the hotel that keep our guests coming back for more. We appreciate that you have noticed our offerings, and we will also share your feedback regarding the suggestion of providing an in-room safe.

Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Came to Chicago for business at the last minute and booked the Hyatt Place a new hotel. The location was ok ( across from a fire station) but the hotel more than made up for it in service. Everyone who worked there went way out if their way to make me comfortable and make sure I had everything I needed. The rooms were modern, comfortable and spacious and they had a nice workout room on the ground floor. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013
I am very flattered to read that we were able to deliver an great traveling experience for you during your recent visit. We do our best to try to give our guests a home away from home, and that is not always an easy feat. I like for all of my guests to know we will honor any reasonable request to make your stay comfortable. Our hotel is an extension of our own homes, and we want all of you to feel welcome.

Warmly,

Connecticut
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with my son. It's a great location, central to everything. We were able to take the train from the airport and walk nearly everywhere....cabbed when we got tired. The hotel is very clean, the breakfast was good, lots of options, although I kept wishing for potatoes and they never arrived at the buffet. The service was terrific. We had one night which was particularly loud (there was a bachelorette party next door) and the hotel security took care of it pretty quickly. I would highly recommend this place for business travel or family vacations. We had no problem with the firehouse...although it was across the street. I heard it a couple times in the middle of the night, but nothing that kept me up all night. I was so happy there was a refrigerator....wished there was a safe though....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review on TripAdisor. It is always meaningful when our guests take the time to thank us for our services. We hope you will have lasting memories of your trip to Chicago with your son. I apologize on behalf of the commotion caused by the Bachelorette party. We appreciate that our guests visit is for a variety of reasons, and we gave them some alternatives to enjoy their celebration outside of the hotel as not to disrupt our other guests. I am pleased that you found we handled the situation swiftly.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Hotel was in terrific condition and very well-designed overall. Front desk staff at check-in, during the stay, and at check-out were superb. Free breakfast was good. Room was spacious, pillows were very comfortable, and the bath towels were soft and large (unusual these days from my perspective). Excellent location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
There is nothing like walking into a clean, comfortable room after a long day of travel. Big, lofty pillows and plush towels are part of that experience. We put thought into all of the small details with our guests in mind, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hyatt Place Chicago River North. Please think of us the next time you are in Chicago.

Warmly,

London
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel is lovely! Actually stunning! I usually do not use the word stunning but I have to say that I really love the décor of the Hyatt Place hotels. They are very neat, clean, modern with burst of colour here and there. I prefer this over the overly elegant and velvet curtains and gold fittings look of some hotels.

The rooms were a good size, clean with a huge window. I love the corner sofa in the room because it offers a nice place to sit and relax.

The television was a generous size (37 or 42 inch) with available ports. Not sure if they worked as I forgot to try.

I saw two types of bathrooms. One had a large standing walk in shower, the other a shower with a low tub. Both large, simple and spotless. Plenty of towels and washcloths. The shower wasn't handheld in my particular room.

Nice desk in the room. FREE internet but you have to register each day. Speedy though.

Housekeeping was very good…..never saw them! No housekeeping cart...nothing. My room was always refreshed when I returned.

ALL of the staff encountered were staff were warm and friendly. I felt very welcome by everyone. Joe (tall guy) was exceptional with the conversation and advice.

The 24/7 food served was great. The value for money was just as much as you would probably pay if you went out to eat. The prices weren't bad at all. I don’t usually do hotel room service but it was worth it here….and we had it twice.

Although the hotel was nearly perfect, there were a few things that kind of bothered me.

1. The windows unfortunately have poor soundproofing. Stayed on the 11th floor and heard cars as if I were near the ground floor. I heard cars/bikes revving engines. Although not entirely distracting (for me), it was noticeable. The windows has a small window inside of it that opens for ‘fresh’ air.

2. The air vent in front of the bed was a bad design choice for the room. It is loud if you are light sleeper and no doubt cold/sore throat inducing.The room was too cold for my liking when I arrived so I turned off the unit. Later when going to bed, I turned the unit back on and it blew warm and cool air until the room settled to the right temperature….all while I was in bed, right in my face. I didn't like that...very odd location for a vent. Part of the ‘Windy City’ attraction?

3. The AM skillet breakfast sandwiches items were hard from sitting out too long or sitting on the warmer too long. I hope that they find a better way to serve them, keep them moist as we were really looking forward to them and were let down by the execution. The bits that I ate were pretty good though. I am sure that I could have asked for a fresh one but kind of defeats the whole purpose. There was also no signs for the breakfast skillets. I (and other guests) had to guess what was in them. One of them had a mildly spicy spread which could have been a problem for someone. Another day there was a different breakfast selection of eggs, sausages and French Toast....all good.. but again, breaded items should be covered when on a warmer to avoid them being hard or dried out.

The hotel location is ideal. Very close to The Magnificent Mile and the blue line train that goes to the airport (up to 15 mins walk in both directions). Plenty of buses. Lots of nice restaurants in the in the area… for example, an up-scale Mexican and a Maggiano's right across the street. The night-life is vibrant at the weekend with bars and clubs nearby.

I highly recommend this hotel and will certainly stay again when visiting Chicago!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and photos of the Hyatt Place Chicago River North.

We are delighted that you found our 24-Hour Gallery Menu a good value, enjoyed our calm decor, spacious rooms and our warm staff. We always strive to provide our guests with a great experience, but we appreciate when issues are brought to our attention so we may address them. Our team is committed to finding solutions to deliver the experience our guests deserve.

We look forward to your next trip from across the pond.

Newcastle, UK
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights, and overall we were impressed. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are smart and particularly large and very clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and the location of the hotel is spot on (especially if you like your food!! You are surrounded by some amazing restaurants). We enjoyed our breakfasts, although it can get extremely busy in the morning - so much so that we had to take our breakfast up to our room due to the fact they did not have enough seats in the breakfast area.

The issue with the hotel, as many other people have mentioned is the fire station which is directly opposite. We had purposely emailed ahead and requested a high room at the back of the hotel (which they did give us), however, the sirens were still loud enough to wake you up in the night. I'm not a particularly heavy sleeper, but I'd imagine that if you were on a lower floor at the front of the hotel, the sirens would wake up the heaviest of sleepers. Although we did really like the hotel, we'd hesitate to return because of this reason.

Room Tip: high up / back of hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gwhizz75
Thank you for sharing your review of Hyatt Place Chicago River North with other Trip Advisors.

We hope seven days was enough to see all of what Chicago has to offer. Of course, if you missed anything, we would certainly welcome you back. We are in an undeniably busy part of the city, and we understand that some guests may be sensitive to the buzz of our metropolis. We are looking for solutions to improve the sound quality for our guests. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit so I may do what I can to make your next stay a more peaceful one.