“Location and Staff where Fantastic!”

Aloft Chicago City Center
Ranked #39 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Not only is this hotel in the heart of downtown, it's close to various colleges, the shopping areas and countless cool eateries. We checked in and found we had a crappy view. We asked to change rooms to a better skyline view and the front desk was absolutely great about the change. They knew are faces and strived to know our names. The room was large and comfortable. The beds were great. Only downside is parking like $45 a night. Use other options for that which is way cheaper. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kev313
Craig P, Manager at Aloft Chicago City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you for the great review! I am happy our front desk was able to accomodate a better view for you. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Andres, was by far one of the best front desk guys I've ever had check me in. I highly recommend this hotel. It's accommodating as well as friendly. Valet may want learn to smile a little more, I understand that the hotel is busy but if a guess is checking in, they shouldn't feel rushed to move their vehicle if they are not valet parking. Other then that, great hotel, location as well as amazing, friendly staff. I highly recommend and shall return.

Room Tip: Call in request prior to checking in. Hotels are busy, accommodating guest is much easier. Then you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank LorenzoGQ

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. Andres is a great talent on our team! We will certainly work with our valet team based on your comments as well. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in July. The hotel is in a great location - close to everything in downtown Chicago. Michigan ave is under 10 minutes away. The hotel has a very contemporary design. Check-in took less than 2 minutes, and we were on the way to our room. Room had an interesting layout - shower is only separated from the rest of the bathroom by the curtain only (could be because this was a handicapped room). It was very clean, and stylish. The bed is super comfortable - I slept like a baby!
I have to recommend checking out the restaurant Beatrix downstairs - it's great. Good food, great servers. Also, check out their bakery. Yum!

One thing I didn't particularly enjoy is the sound isolation - we could hear everything in the corridor from our room. There wasn't a lot of traffic there, but when people are talking you can hear them as if they are right next to you.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as well as your dining experience in Beatrix! Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed at the Aloft a few weeks ago. The room was very clean and comfortable, but it was a little small. The location is fantastic though..walking distance to many major sights and the train. We didn't try the restaurant although it looked to be a popular brunch spot. The gym is well-equipped and spacious. I wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coconino1

We'd love to have you back again to check out our restaurant, Beatrix!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I recently completed a two night stay at the Aloft Chicago City Center. Without a doubt, this hotel exemplified the casual, youthful, and urban lifestyle that the brand caters to.

ROOM
Room 1803 is a standard Aloft room with a king bed. That means a room with an open floor plan with a clean, retro modern style. Power outlets are numerous and conveniently located on the bedside stands and desk. (No need to hunt around for hidden outlets!) Moreover, the complimentary wi-fi had a strong signal throughout the room and good speed.

Despite being on the top floor, neither water pressure nor water temperature was a problem. Being on the top floor, the room is well isolated from street noise. Regardless, this a hotel in the middle of a city so don't expect complete noise isolation: the fire station nearby can be a noise offender.

LOCATION
The hotel is in the heart of River North dining scene and nightlife. Some of my favorite Chicago restaurants and lounges are within a 5 minute walk of the Aloft. For the tourist, Michigan Avenue and the Loop are five blocks away. Access to the CTA subway lines is easy: two blocks to the Grand (Red Line) and a ten minute walk to Clark/Lake where you can get to O'Hare (Blue Line) or Midway (Orange Line).

SERVICE
Service here meets my expectations for the Aloft brand: casual yet professional; accommodating but not intrusive. Any requests put through the front desk were completed without hassle and I was always greeted by a staff member, whether walking past the front desk or riding the elevator.

DINING
The in-house restaurant, Beatrix, was great: good food at very reasonable prices in a lively setting. I had a delicious breakfast one morning with the savory Spicy Chicken Tinga and sweet Honey & Cinnamon Latte. Combined with a $5 voucher for participating in the hotel's 'Make a Green Choice' program, the meal cost less than $10! I definitely regret not eating here more during my stay.

OVERALL
I had a very good stay at the Aloft Chicago City Center, a hotel that embodies the lively spirit of its surrounding neighborhood. I would certainly return if the price is right; Aloft hotel rates can easily equal or exceed the rates at full service hotels. Nevertheless, it is a great choice for staying in Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Keane N

We appreciate you taking the time to give a detailed review of our property! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your experience at the hotel, restaurant, and with our staff. We'd love to have you back again!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was first experience at an Aloft and I came out impressed. They have check-in 'kiosk' which typically has 3-4 employees ready to answer questions for get you quickly checked-in. There is nice large restaurant/bar on first floor in conjunction with the hotel so it has very lively atmosphere. Also a gathering area on the first floor to meet with people or get on your computer. Room was small but very well-designed, so it seemed perfectly spacious enough. Bathroom also well designed. Bed clean and comfortable. Location centrally located to different parts of the city. If you are solely going to shop on Michigan Ave, you may want something closer, but this is well-located to access a variety of activities in the city.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank abcdef999

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

First off, just to know, they do not have self parking at this hotel. They do have valet but it is costly, however, self park which is two blocks away is $47 a nite with in and out privileges. Not a great deal but I don't think you will find any better in the city. My daughter and I felt safe walking from the garage to the hotel because this hotel is smack in the middle of the most trendiest neighborhoods with very happy people! Upon entering the hotel you are immediately greeted by not only someone behind the reservation desk but a greeter. All very friendly. The first room they gave us was in the back of the hotel facing a brick building and very dark. I thought it was a mistake because it was also a special needs room. I called the front desk from this room and told them that it would drive me crazy to be in a dark room. They immediately changed us to a 2nd floor room facing the street. It was great and right outside our window was a beautiful terraced roof top garden. The bed was very comfortable and the shower water flow was very nice as well. Now to room service. We were pretty tired from our trip so we ordered room service. Everything on the menu is organic. We split the hamburger, fries and a Cesar salad. The downside was that it came in a cute paper bag but no plates. It was more like a to go packaging. I really didn't get this because it was delivered to our room. I don't know if they were trying to cut down on washing dishes? So we washed the tray that was in the room that had the coffee pot on it and used that for our "plate". Just an FYI you can't buy wine by the glass here. You could buy a bottle at the bar downstairs but no glass of wine sold on the room service menu. There is a Walgreens within two blocks so if you wish to have a small glass of wine with a meal you have to walk there and get those little bottles or you can buy a less expensive bottle of wine than purchasing at the bar. The only complaint I have is that there is not a working ice machine on every floor but if you phone the front desk they will send someone up to get ice for you from another floor. Don't hesitate to do this, they really don't give you any attitude at this hotel. One more thing, look for the year of birth special, that means that you can get the 2nd and subsequent nights for the price of the last two digits of your birth year! What a steal if you are older!!

Room Tip: Anything on the street side would probably be really nice, watch out for those rear rooms with a bri...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank nativecalifornian

Thank you for your review! I am happy you were able to enjoy a city view room while you were here. I appreciate the feedback about room service. We will certainly look into our packaging for future. We hope to see you again soon!