“Great Gelato”

Black Dog Gelato
Ranked #70 of 184 Dessert in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stopped by Black Dog Gelato this past weekend. I have to say it was excellent. I have had lots of Gelato in Italy and this shop rivaled what I had in Italy. I tried all of the flavors that day and ended up with two flavors, the goat cheese caramel cashew and the pistacchio. I didn't think the goat cheese one would be good, but it was fantastic and really worked. I do recommend getting Gelato here. Its a true treat.

1  Thank camckh
There are newer reviews for Black Dog Gelato

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The gelato shop is a tiny little unassuming place with a cozy atmosphere. The flavors, however are insane. They include a 3 Floyds milk stout gelato, mint oreo, and brown sugar & cinnamon. My only regret was not spending more time here while I was in Chicago. I will go back again.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I really like gelato (the Italian version of ice cream) and have sampled it in many places in the Chicago area and elsewhere. I have tasted some excellent gelato but my favorite, by far, is produced by Black Dog Gelato This shop sells to the public and also provides its products to a number of local restaurants. Standard flavors include pistachio, strawberry balsamic, and fiore de latte. However, what is really exciting about this place is that owner/operator Jessica Oloroso is constantly innovating new preparations, many of which made with seasonal fruits. For example, flavors currently being offered include toasted coconut, goat cheese caramel cashew, blueberry French toast, lemon ginger, black sesame, Mexican chocolate, and chocolate express. This gelato is always fresh, creamy, rich, and delicious. If you go to the shop, depending on the time of day you may find a crowd, but do not be dismayed because it usually moves quickly. Your biggest problem will be in making a selection because everything always looks so tempting. If you are unsure as to what to order, ask for samples. I do and the staff has always been very accommodating. If you go to a restaurant offering Black Dog gelato for dessert, don’t pass it up. It is simply the best!

1  Thank ChiMike606