“Excellent meal if you're willing to wait”
Review of Au Cheval

Au Cheval
Ranked #58 of 10,277 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Side
Description: A diner-style bar and restaurant with a passion for eggs. Loosely translated, the name Au Cheval means to put an egg on it...and we do
Reviewed August 22, 2016

I have had the burger (two patties with egg and bacon) on several occasions. It pairs well with the root beer on tap and their fries. I love going for lunch because the line isn't as long. I once tried to go for dinner and arrived at six but was told the wait would be 6 hours - no joke. The food is fantastic - just be prepared to wait or go really early to put your name in.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

Awesome cheeseburgers! I had the double cheese with an egg and a side of hash browns! The burger was great, best I've ever had and the has Browns were perfectly crispy, all served with a pickle and washed down with a good range of IPA's. They also do a mean Bloody Mary!

Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

Anyone who doesn't like this place is absolutely crazy. Believe all of the hype, it's that good! And yes, you will have to wait. But their app is super cool. We just went across the street for a drink and waited for them to message us. This was far and away the best burger I have ever had. So delicious!

Reviewed August 21, 2016

Fun restaurant with music playing on a tape deck! Stand outside for a beer on the sidewalk and enjoy meeting new friends. They did not even ask me for a credit card, pretty trusting group. Come later in the evening around 9, and your wait will not be too bad. They may tell you 2 hours, but I waited about 45, just enough time to finish my first beer outside. Food is OK, it is a diner, and the quantities are huge, but great selection of draft beers, and fun service. I would go back for the crowd there, met some fun folks, and enjoyed the music and ambiance!

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed August 17, 2016 via mobile

This place obviously gets tons of notoriety and I've been hearing about it for years. Everything I've read has been glowing but some locals I know have said it doesn't live up to the hype. So, with the hassle of waiting in line to get in, we've never really made an effort to get there for fear of an impossible standard to live up to. However, this is one of those rare places where everything positive you read is absolutely true. The burger was phenomenal, the best I've ever had. Why? Simplicity executed to perfection. No temp preference, they cook the patties to a lovely medium and stack them with plenty of cheese (easiest way to ruin a burger is to skimp on cheese) then too with their dijonnaise, a little bit of pickle, and minced onion. It blends to make a fantastic version of tartar sauce, in my eyes. Astoundingly, my wife declined bacon AND egg, but that turned out to be a pretty solid decision. They don't bog it down with lettuce, tomato, thick sliced onion, or any other weird combo toppings. It's a simple burger, executed well. Everything you've read in the food magazines and blogs and seen on tv is true. It's an incredible burger. But we also had the matzah ball soup which still has me dumbfounded as to how they could pack so much umami and chicken flavor into a broth. I can only imagine having that on a cold winter day with a stuffy nose. The marrow bones w/ beef cheek marmalade was sinfully rich and one of the best dishes I've put in my mouth. Had a fantastic gin cocktail. Dessert was mildly disappointing but the rest was so good I didn't care.