“Excellent Burger”

Ranked #58 of 10,277 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Side
Description: A diner-style bar and restaurant with a passion for eggs. Loosely translated, the name Au Cheval means to put an egg on it...and we do
Reviewed July 22, 2016

We had been told about the burger, so went for it. Put down our name at noon, were told it would be 90-120 mins and we would be emailed and have 10 mins to arrive. That is exactly what happened. A crazy wait of course, but if you walk about and plan well, it is fine. Waiter was really great and the burger and fries were excellent.
A very good experience. Would have been perfect..but for the guy who took names and assigned the tables. He was remarkably rude. He behaved in a manner to make clear that it was our privilege to get a table and we were at his mercy to make it happen. All others in the restaurant were great.

Reviewed July 21, 2016 via mobile

Being on the top of tripadvisor, one should expect good quality burgers. Well, the are just normal and a little too much salt for my taste. The concept of this restaurant is marvellous, but they should put a lot of effort in preparing those burgers!. Great aloili and hand cut fries... Nothing more

Reviewed July 21, 2016

I had the double cheeseburger, which was good but didn't blow me away. What did set this place apart though was the thick cut back bacon...Awesome. I would go back for the bacon alone.

Very small space and gets really busy, so expect a wait. If you are eating alone they can seat you at the bar which is cool.

Reviewed July 20, 2016

Stopped here on the way to college visit at UChicago. For a "diner" it has lovely decor and the staff is wonderful! Gage was our server and he was fantastic! He took the time to explain the menu and make suggestions. He recommended the goat patty melt, which I tried because I'd never eaten goat before. He also recommended the goat chocolate milk and waffles to my daughter. I was not crazy about the burger. Goat is not gamey, per se, but it is a pungent meat. I ordered corn elite on the side and that was delicious! The chocolate milk was a treat for my daughter. And her waffles came with a peanut butter butter ball, if you can follow that. She liked the waffles well enough. We shared the cheezits ice cream - not a favorite. However, it was all very interesting and I am glad we had the experience.

Reviewed July 19, 2016 via mobile

You just need to be patient. The wait was more than and hour but we went to the bar next door and had a couple of beers so it was not bad at all.