“EXCELLENT!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
HARRISON
“EXCELLENT!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

The staff here was just excellent and so accomodating.. I am definately staying here during my upcoming visits. A++++++++++++++

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

I decided to stay near the airport with an early morning flight but did not have reservations. I stopped here and found the staff was very accomodating and the accomodations were a good value. The location was great to make my morning easy. I would definitely do this arrangement again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AngelaAK24
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Our family of four stayed at this motel while travelling through the Chicago area based on the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. Check in was easy and the gentleman who checked us in was very helpful, even recommending a great restaurant for Chicago-style pizza which turned out to be very good. The motel is within walking distance of the orange line for reasonably priced access to downtown Chicago. We drove downtown the next morning on a Saturday (no rush hour) and arrived at Navy Pier in about 10 - 15 minutes. The room was clean, smelled clean (we booked a non-smoking room), and the bedding and towels were adequate. Appreciated the complimentary breakfast which we took back to our room to eat...Dunkin' Donuts breakfast sandwiches, donuts, yogurt, fruit, bagels with cream cheese, coffee, tea, and juice. We made use of the free internet on the computer in the small lobby. When we checked out, the hotel staff (Gina in particular) provided us with several options of good routes to take to exit the city. We would definitely stay at this friendly motel again (great value...under $100 for Chicago) and would recommend this motel to friends.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

As I was stuck with an unexpected layover at Chicago’s Midway airport I began looking for an inexpensive but comfortable hotel for an overnight stay. I flipped open my laptop and consulted Trip Advisor to examine the choices and improve the odds of finding the right hotel at the right price. My criteria was simple – close to the airport with shuttle service, clean, comfortable, inexpensive, and high speed internet. Browsing the selections with these in mind, out popped what seemed to be a clear choice with the Carlton Inn. Tucked a bit in the shadows of the airport, though not isolated, on a major boulevard, was this jewel of a hotel. Though I called first, I made reservations over the internet direct from their website as the price was about 10% cheaper . The free shuttle service was fast and efficient in what appeared to be a new van. The driver was courteous and friendly whom I later discovered would also be the bellhop and the cable repair guy. Check-in was fast and efficient, and I was assigned a room on the top (second) floor of the hotel. As I had an extra bag or two an elevator would have been nice, though it did not prove to be an impediment.

The property contained multi-building structures and was apparently a motel purchased from prior owners and renovated. They did an excellent job of making it look like new. All rooms were exterior entry. The room was a bit Spartan, though fashionably decorated, clean, comfortable, and reasonably spacious. The main furniture consisted of a queen size bed, two night tables with lamps, a TV shelf and storage cabinet, a small quartz topped table/desk with two chairs, and a small upholstered chair. For clothing storage there was an upright 7 ft. tall cube module, simple but adequate. While the furniture wasn’t top quality, it looked nice – then for the price what was I to expect ? (reminded me a bit of Ikea style furniture). It was obvious the most money was spent in the bathroom which had fairly top class fixtures and did not have the pre-fab glued in look typical of hotels in this price range. The TV seemed about a 26” CRT with a detached cable box; while there was no “on-demand” capability, there were ample premium content via standard premium cable channels with multiple HBO, Showtime, and Encore channels. There was a small microwave and a small refrigerator I believe about 3.0 cubic ft. size, so if one wanted to economize on meals, one could. There was also a coffeemaker. The wireless high-speed internet had several zones and worked flawlessly, giving me the impression there was a wireless router perhaps sitting on top of every third or fourth room. It was obvious from the surroundings and amenities the owners have cleverly figured how to provide high end features without high end costs.

While there was no restaurant on the premises, there was a continental breakfast in the front office area that I didn’t try. The hotel provided a list of about two dozen restaurants, several within walking distance, some with delivery, having a wide diversity of food. The location is also close to a commuter train station, which allows easy and cheap transportation around the city.

All staff was very courteous and friendly and aiming to please – it seemed as though the place was run by one big happy family (and several staff appeared to wear many hats).

On the con side, the bed was not plush, though I slept comfortably. The through-wall A/C unit was competent but a bit hard to get dialed in to a set temperature. The cable box didn’t initially work and had to be replaced, but the service was prompt and no problems thereafter. It would’ve been nice if the cable box were attached to the TV as it was difficult getting used to aiming the remote at the cable box sitting beneath the TV and rotating the box appropriately as well as the TV as I switched viewing positions around the room. An extra table and a few more electrical outlets would have been nice. The alarm clock radio went off at midnight, but fortunately I was not sleep – ideally, such things would be checked prior to a new guest arrival.

Overall this hotel experience was much better than one would expect for a <$100 hotel room, and a real value/bargain. I would recommend it without hesitation, especially for someone on a budget, or just plain frugal. It would even be quite tolerable for an extended stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

My family and I stayed here this past weekend when we traveled to Chicago for a wedding. The rooms were clean and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. We really loved the location because it was readillyeasily accessible by train from both Midway and Downtown. Thanks great service and excellent breakfast!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Coldwater, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

I was visiting friends, when they had to leave for an unexpected family emergency. I was referred to the Carlton Inn- Midway, and was pleasantly surprised with my visit! Warm and friendly staff, well maintained and clean, and convenient access to the orange line and downtown. Felt like I had received more than the price I paid...Thank You for the great stay!! We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Granfair
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

I had a very pleasurable experience at the Carlton Inn Midway. The only room with two double beds available was a smoking room, and I was hesitant about the potential for a stale smell and dirty sheets and such. We arrived in Chicago late at night and the front desk were more than helpful in providing us with plenty of maps and brochures for downtown activities.

We got to the room and were very pleasantly surprised with the level of cleanliness and quality that we found. The room had a microwave, a coffee maker with several packs of rather good tasting coffee and condiments, and a TV. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. Most importantly, the room smelled as clean as any non-smoking room that I have found in a motel. The bathroom was quite nice as well. In general, the room was extremely well kept and was pleasing.

In the morning there were Dunkin Donuts bagels with meat and cheese available in the lobby. There wasn't a lot of room so it is possible that you would have to eat in your room or outside, neither of which I see a problem with. There was also some water, coffee, yogurt, and a few other choices with a toaster.

After breakfast was when the staff's generousity really came into play. Although we only booked one night at the motel and had said that we would be leaving that day, they allowed us to leave our vehicle parked in their lot for the day while we went downtown so that we could avoid parking costs and the hassle of driving downtown. They also gave us a lift to Midway station instead of the closer Pulaski station on the Orange Line so that we could purchase a daypass ticket and were helpful on telling us the route that we should take to get to each of our planned destinations. When we got to Midway it turned out that they no longer sell day passes, so as a future reference for those visiting and taking the rail or busses you can save your time and have them drop you off at Pulaski station and save about 10 minutes. The parking and shuttle were both free of charge.

The neighbourhood was also fine. Nothing exceptional and probably 15-20 minutes from downtown by the rail and was nothing special, but it was a decent enough neighbourhood for walking in and finding food and such.

If I return to Chicago and need a cheap place to stay with great service, I will definitely be looking up the Carlton Inn Midway location again!

Definitely recommend!