“First rate staff couldn't have been more helpful”
Review of Carlton Inn Midway

Carlton Inn Midway
Ranked #45 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Babylon, New York
“First rate staff couldn't have been more helpful”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Carlton Inn for one night after missing a connecting flight through Midway. All of our luggage and toiletries had been checked through to our destination, so we only had the clothes on our backs. The staff was amazing. The shuttle picked us up at the airport as soon as we called the hotel to book a room, and when we arrived at the hotel, they gave us plenty of free toiletries and offered to drive us to a nearby Target to buy whatever else we needed. Instead, we walked to the nearby Walgreens, located just a few blocks away. The hotel is on a busy street in a working-class neighborhood where we felt safe walking around.

Our room had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, so we were able to buy some breakfast food at Walgreens and eat in our room prior to leaving for our very early morning flight.

The evening we were there, my son and I sat outside in the courtyard to watch a movie on the free wifi, and the staff brought us out coffee and blankets when it started to get chilly. We couldn't believe it.

Our free shuttle to the airport left right on time the next morning (super early) and had us to Midway within 10 minutes.

We were all very grouchy about missing our flight and having to spend the night in Chicago, but the staff at the Carlton Inn helped us to relax and make the best of the situation. I'm only giving the hotel 4 stars because it is not a luxury hotel by any means, but if I were to evaluate it just in terms of service and overall hospitality, I'd give it a 10.

Room Tip: Noisy street -- I assume rooms near the back would be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Oneonta, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Talk about hidden gems! This delightful gated courtyard-style motel should be held up as an example of excellence to it's big name competitors. Perfectly appointed spotless room. Even the parking lot was clean and well lit. The staff members were friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable of the area. Even the resident dog had perfect manners! The continental breakfast served included pancakes and Dunkin Donuts sandwiches. We had a minor car problem and were directed to the shop used by the Motel staff. The repair was quick and financially painless. Many restaurants are nearby, for which a personalized guide was provided that even rated staff favorites. The Motel was a straight run to the University of Chicago, which was our ultimate destination. We will be staying at the Carton Inn frequently, now, until our daughter graduates. One suggestion, however. A second mirror placed in the room would be of great help. Otherwise, a superior experience.

Room Tip: Ask to avoid the Archer Street side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Older motel, very well maintained. Helpful, knowledgable, friendly staff. Very clean room. Nice breakfast. Ask for restaurant list. Great Mexican food within 5 minute drive. 'L' stop 2 block walk and then 20 minutes to loop. Motel provides van shuttle to Midway. Motel faces busy Archer Av. Ask for room back from the street. Would absolutely stay again.

Room Tip: Motel faces busy S. Archer Av. Ask for room away from street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Wow! Where do I begin? I went to Midway to fly home last Thursday, but the Baltimore airport was shut down, and all flights to nearby cities were booked, so I needed a place to stay for the night. I tried to check reviews, but I couldn't get reception, so I asked a very nice elderly man at the info desk near Midway baggage claim. He suggested a handful, but strongly suggested the Carlton Inn. I again tried to check reviews, but no luck, so I called the number on the card he gave me. The nicest person in the world took my call and answered all my questions. She said Steve would come pick me up. A few minutes later, Steve actually picked me up, along with another gentleman who was in the same Baltimore situation. Steve gave us all the scoop about the hotel and area, including restaurant recommendations, and said he would even take us to whichever restaurant we wanted. In the lobby I was greeted by a very nice dog and exceptionally nice people. The manager checked me in and gave me a nicely organized restaurant guide they had printed themselves. I asked the man near the dog if he was the boss, and I told him the service was superb, but he modestly deflected the praise to the others. It turns out he was indeed the boss. I dropped off my bags and Steve took me to a wonderful Thai restaurant, then came back to pick me up when I was finished with dinner. The room was just adequate (after all, it's the Carlton, not the Ritz-Carlton). The bed was fine, the A/C worked better than the A/C at many of the "fancier" hotels I've experienced, the room was clean and functional, and most of the ammenities were just standard fare, more of a motel than a hotel atmosphere. I received my wakeup call on time, and another driver (a young man whose name I forgot) took me to the airport after I enjoyed a nice breakfast (Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches and more). I had a delightful conversation with the young driver, and again expressed my gratitude for his assitance and that of his colleagues. This airport hotel is probably not ideal for most Chicago visitors who have business or pleasure near downtown, but if you need a room near Midway, this is absolutely the place to stay! And did I mention the service?? Yes, I did, but it's worth mentioning again. I came in contact with seven employees, and each one was nicer than the other. And not just nice "yes sir, no sir" fluff talk like you get at higher end hotels, but genuinely nice people who seemed to genuinely love their work. Who could ask for more?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David H
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 9 nights.
I can attest to all the positive things already mentioned before, but I would like to highlight that all members of staff that we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful.
Special mention must be made for Yolanda and the manager (I think that's what he is) Gary.
We had to make a trip to Evanston and sought advice from the front desk. Gary advised that we take a free hotel shuttle to Midway Airport and hop on a 303 taxi for a flat fare ride to Evanston.
Not only did Gary arrange for the free hotel shuttle, he provided us with a print out containing information about the 303 taxi service. On the date of departure, he personally supervised the loading of our luggage on the hotel shuttle and made sure that we understood that the 303 taxi fare was a flat charge (i.e. not by meter). On our return, he asked whether it went well. Of course it did, with his help, it was a breeze.
Yolada, the counter staff who checked us out advised on how to get to O'Hare with three options. We decided on taking the 'L' train (Orange Line at Pulaski, change at Clark/Lake on the Blue Line). Another member of staff also at the counter then gave us pinpoint accurate directions on how to change from the Orange Line train to the Blue Line train.
I get the impression that the mission of the staff at this hotel is to ensure that their guest get a great customer experience, and they do this so well.
The location of the hotel is a little far from downtown Chicago, but in our next trip to Chicago, we're going to aim to stay here again, just to meet these great folks again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gwee2013
Ontario
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and for the price, it was excellent. The breakfast selection was quite good and area was kept very clean and had a nice outdoor area to eat your breakfast at. The room was clean except for the carpet and a nice size, the bed was very comfortable, was pleasantly surprised for the price, especially keeping in mind it is only a 2 star We parked our car (free parking) and did not have to move our car all the time we were there. The train/subway was a short walk and easy access to Chicago. The staff was the best I have come across anywhere in my travels. They bent over backward to help in any way they could, whether it be directions, restaurant suggestions, places to go in Downtown Chicago, etc. We even forgot a backpack and one of the staff actually loaned us a backpack of theirs to use during our stay. Amazing service!! They even offered (and even sometimes insisted) to drive us to the train station, restaurants, etc. Very glad to have stayed there and would definitely stay again if ever returning to Chicago and were very glad we did not stay in downtown Chicago where we were away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown and the exorbitant prices as well, including the extra parking fee. i

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaytee4349
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at this property for two nights.
The Good:

-We were impressed we could get a hotel in Chicago, in August, for a rate of $104/night-
-The room had a fridge and microwave and a whole dinette set.
-The room was clean (other than the carpet)
-You can tell that it is an older building, but the exterior is well-maintained
-We felt secure walking in the neighborhood
-It was close to the "L" station. (FYI, you can buy day passes at the front desk, not the "L" station)

The Not-So-Good:
-The carpet needed a shampoo.
-The room was on the dark side.
-The bathroom was small, but adequate.
-We occasionally heard airplanes and people coming and going at night.
-The internet connection was wretched. We even called in and the connection was reset, but our signal was still terrible.
-Make sure you confirm your reservations. We had booked two rooms on Expedia, when we called they only had one. They were able to research it and find our other room without a problem, but it was a good thing we called.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple