New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Carlton Inn Midway

Carlton Inn Midway
Ranked #47 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Normal
“A Great Value and A Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here while on business on the south side. While not particularly close to the airport, they do offer a free shuttle (call in advance for schedule confirmation). My ground floor room, while not overly large, was big enough to be comfortable. It included a microwave and refridgerator, coffee maker, and a new flat screen TV with a very nice channel selection. The room was spotlessly clean and smelled nice. Free parking is available as well as free wireless internet. Breakfast is also offered. There are several food options with in walking distance, and even more a short drive away. Perhaps the best thing about this hotel is the staff...they are friendly, professional, and willing to help. I can heartily recommend this hotel, and will definitely be staying here when work again brings me to the neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Hamilton, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Since we were driving to Chicago I was pleased to find a hotel that would not charge me $50 per day to keep my car in their garage. The Carlton was located close to a mass transit station for easy access to downtown, the staff was very helpful, and the rooms were well maintained and clean. Their continental breakfast is not on site, but you are given a voucher for $7 to use at a restaurant at the end of the block. The restaurant was nice and you had a complete menu to choose from and just pay the difference taking the voucher off the bill. My only 'fault' of that change, was that one of our party could not walk the distance, so we drove to breakfast. But I would still have no hesitation in staying at the Carlton Inn Midway again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just got back from a trip to Chicago. We needed a hotel for 5-nights near Midway Airport and we chose the Carlton Inn based on their AAA discount, and its location and price. We were definitely not disappointed. The two story hotel has lots of steps for access to the second floor. The rooms were very nice and clean with a microwave, refrigerator, TV, Wi-Fi and high speed internet access a nice dining table and two chairs,, and a window on the front and back of the room which was great. Gave lots of light, and had it been fall, we could have opened the window for outside air. The continental breakfast turned out to be a voucher for a nearby restaurant which was great and easy walking distance ... we were able to pick anything we wanted to eat for breakfast and just paid anything over the voucher amount. Worked great. Definitely will come back to the Carlton Inn the next time we visit Chicago. The hotel staff, especially Yolanda, were very helpful and informative and always pleasant and ready to assist us. They also have a printer in the hotel lobby for printing boarding passes. Barajas family from Florida

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The saying don't judge a book by it's cover comes to mind immediately. The Carlton Inn Midway Chicago, IL is not a pretty face. In fact the outside will sort of scare you but the rooms are fresh, clean and sound proof. There is free secure parking (other hotels charge from $30 daily upward); free breakfast voucher at neighborhood restaurant just a few steps from your room. This "free" breakfast is not bagels and cereal but a full service Mom and Pop facility. I ordered the HouseStyle Omelet. OMG, it was served on a platter. 3 eggs and stuffed with real cheese, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, ham, bacon, lots of yummy stuff; hash browns and toast. Carlton Inn gives you a $7 voucher so my breakfast cost me $3 plus tip which I gladly left...waitress Donna was like a family member. Checking on us and kept the coffee coming. Hotel's front desk friendly, knowledgable about how to get around Chicago. You can buy your three day transportation pass right at the front desk. Free shuttle to train station and last night they were willing to travel out of the radius because the trains broke down to get us back to the hotel. I cannot say enough great things about this hotel, front desk and quality of the rooms. Family oriented establishment. I will definitely stay here in the future. I give it FIVE STARS PLUS!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Request first floor room if you are elderly or walking (climbing stairs) is an issue for you. Other...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in January when I was interviewing for a job. I got to the Airport at about 11:30pm. I reserved the room a week earlier through hotel.com but they lost the reservation. I ended up paying $109 for the room. For that price, there was NO hot water in the morning. If they are going to charge me $109, I expect a hot shower in the morning in freaking January. I told the front desk about the hot water and they were very rude and said "no body has ever complained about no hot water before" as if I was lying. Breakfast is not excellent but adequate. The heater made so much noise. I think this is an excellent room for $60-$65, but for $109 I expect more. Will NOT STAY HERE AGAIN!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Mahomet, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed at the Carlton and used their park and fly option. We got to and from the airport seamlessly. The van was ready to go as promised and got us there quickly and efficiently. We called when we arrived back at Midway and they were ready and waiting for us after we gathered our luggage. The driver(s) and all the staff were professional and polite. All requests and questions were answered. The rooms were clean and tidy. We had no concerns about our safety in the room or when we went out for a bite to eat. This is not an upscale option. But, it was reasonably priced and met all our needs. If we were to fly out of Midway again I would not hesitate to book this location. As you can see from the vast majority of their reviews most others are also well satisfied. We always consider that a good measure on trip advisor as you know that you will not meet everyones expectations. Thanx Carlton Inn and staff. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ely
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you appreciate excellent, polite and helpful staff, this is the place to stay. The hotel appeared to be an older hotel that has been updated. It was not spectacular, but definitely sufficient and very clean! The area did not appear dangerous to us as I had read in one review, but even though the orange line into Chicago was only 2-3 blocks, the hotel staff was happy to provide us a shuttle to and from the station. We called at the stop right before ours when we were returning for the evening and as we walked out of the station, the shuttle was pulling up to pick us up each night. The drivers were pleasant and friendly. The front desk staff was very polite and went above and beyond in several ways, including providing a ride to Midway Airport an hour after our checkout time. Breakfast was provided by giving us vouchers toward a full breakfast at a restaurant just a few steps from the hotel. The restaurant also had polite, accommodating staff. If you are not requiring luxury, this is close to downtown Chicago and a fair price for the accommodations. I will stay here on my next visit. Queen size beds are a definite perk too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends