“Horrible experience”

Ranked #49 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Kansas City, Missouri
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in January when I was interviewing for a job. I got to the Airport at about 11:30pm. I reserved the room a week earlier through hotel.com but they lost the reservation. I ended up paying $109 for the room. For that price, there was NO hot water in the morning. If they are going to charge me $109, I expect a hot shower in the morning in freaking January. I told the front desk about the hot water and they were very rude and said "no body has ever complained about no hot water before" as if I was lying. Breakfast is not excellent but adequate. The heater made so much noise. I think this is an excellent room for $60-$65, but for $109 I expect more. Will NOT STAY HERE AGAIN!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Mahomet, Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed at the Carlton and used their park and fly option. We got to and from the airport seamlessly. The van was ready to go as promised and got us there quickly and efficiently. We called when we arrived back at Midway and they were ready and waiting for us after we gathered our luggage. The driver(s) and all the staff were professional and polite. All requests and questions were answered. The rooms were clean and tidy. We had no concerns about our safety in the room or when we went out for a bite to eat. This is not an upscale option. But, it was reasonably priced and met all our needs. If we were to fly out of Midway again I would not hesitate to book this location. As you can see from the vast majority of their reviews most others are also well satisfied. We always consider that a good measure on trip advisor as you know that you will not meet everyones expectations. Thanx Carlton Inn and staff. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ely
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you appreciate excellent, polite and helpful staff, this is the place to stay. The hotel appeared to be an older hotel that has been updated. It was not spectacular, but definitely sufficient and very clean! The area did not appear dangerous to us as I had read in one review, but even though the orange line into Chicago was only 2-3 blocks, the hotel staff was happy to provide us a shuttle to and from the station. We called at the stop right before ours when we were returning for the evening and as we walked out of the station, the shuttle was pulling up to pick us up each night. The drivers were pleasant and friendly. The front desk staff was very polite and went above and beyond in several ways, including providing a ride to Midway Airport an hour after our checkout time. Breakfast was provided by giving us vouchers toward a full breakfast at a restaurant just a few steps from the hotel. The restaurant also had polite, accommodating staff. If you are not requiring luxury, this is close to downtown Chicago and a fair price for the accommodations. I will stay here on my next visit. Queen size beds are a definite perk too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you need to catch an early morning flight at Midway and you have no other choice you may want to stay here. Otherwise, look somewhere else. This place needs a complete overhaul. Rooms don't feel very clean nor safe

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Newbury, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Clean, quiet place, amazing how quiet. We spent the weekend downtown and wanted a place convenient for an early flight. Only thing was a dirty towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door. Really liked Pindo's for breakfast. Staff, front desk and shuttle driver, very nice.

• Stayed June 2013
Davis
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Google "Chicago Blue Light Cameras" as this hotel's neighborhood is full of them. Your surroundings are dangerous here. The property itself is awkward. I had trouble finding a parking spot. The room had carpet so dirty that it made my socks black. I wasn't sure the bed sheets had been changed and saw a couple of hairs in there. I have stayed in hundreds of rooms on business travel. I'm not pretentious, but this place was in my top 5 worst rooms. You should avoid this place unless they are practically giving it away, and even then you might be taking your life in your hands because of the neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scott P
Gary G, General Manager at Carlton Inn Midway, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Scott P,
I sincerely apologize that your recent stay did not meet your expectations- a call to our Guest Service Agent at the front desk could have easily addressed your concerns. I will reach out to you through Trip Advisor to further discuss the issues you brought up.
Regarding the Archer Heights neighborhood the property is located in-The excerpts below were taken from a recent newspaper article about neighborhood safety:
Currently the community of Archer Heights only has a few of the 10 thousand police blue light cameras installed in Chicago “There isn’t a justification for more of a police presence in the community, mostly petty crimes such as vandalism are committed here” stated a police spokesperson.
One parent told Youth INK on 18th that violence in the neighborhood is not a big issue.
She said “I don’t see that much violent crime but what I mostly see are teenagers mostly tagging or fighting
I am guessing that your GPS routed you through the inner city when you exited the interstate. Our area is very big on red light cameras but I couldn’t even tell you where the few blue light cameras are in our neighborhood.
Again, I sincerely apologize and thank you for taking the time to comment-I will be in touch with you.
AL
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel is great! It is very conveniently located near the train/bus station and restaurants. There is also a complimentary free shuttle bus that runs 24/7. Their kitchen was being remodeled, so they provided vouchers for a free breakfast each morning at a local restaurant that was close nearby. The hotel is clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. I definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple