“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #47 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

On June 7 and June 8 we had three rooms at the Carlton Inn which I found on TripAdvisor. Our family of 11 was in Chicago for a grandson's participation in the Pitch, Hit and Run event at U.S. Celluar Field. I wanted to be close to the ballpark, the front desk was very friendly and helpful in arranging for the rooms. The rest of the staff was also friendly and helpful in meeting our needs that weekend. We would stay there again.--A Thankful Grandfather.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jimdixie99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Spring Lake, Michigan
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Went to the Chicago Blues Fest, and my Wife and I normally stay downtown. We decided to save a couple bucks and stay outside of town. I chose this hotel based on all the great reviews, and the others did not fail us. This place was perfect. The rooms were great, they treat you like gold, they offer free shuttle service to the train station (two blocks away), and to all area restaurants. One of the shuttle drivers named Steve is the greatest!! We took the train (orange line) from the hotel to Grant Park for the festival for $4.50 round trip. The hotel also gives you a $7.00 voucher towards a full service breakfast just a couple doors down from them, which was great! We told the hotel that we were also going to the Kingston Mines blues bar and they said hold on, we have a coupon for that which was get 4 people in free which was also a $60.00 savings! I'm the kind of person that will let a business have it if I feel I didn't get treated well, but folks, take it from me, the Carlton Inn Midway is the way to go! My Wife and I will definitey stay there anytime we go back to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GMAN42726
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We needed an affordable yet good hotel in Chicago to stay for almost entire week. We traveled for business and needed a place with free parking and Internet. Parking in Chicago is expensive ($20-$30 for couple of hours in a public parking in the Downtown). This hotel is far from the Downtown, but just 5 minutes walk away is a CTA train station and you can get to the downtown in 20 minutes. Hotel is secure and safe though located not in the best place possible. I left my laptop and passport there. Customer service is very good indeed. Staff at the hotel is really carring about their customers.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Alex M
Rochester, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Based on the rate and the TA reviews, we booked the Carlton Inn for a vacation trip to Chicago and were very pleased! The hotel is located in a pleasant, safe neighborhood, and is built around a courtyard where guests park. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable (we paid the extra $10 for a queen bed). Breakfast was quite adequate (if you like Dunkin Donuts sausage bagels), and there is a pleasant outdoor terrace to sit at. but it was the service that wowed us. First of all, free parking!! How rare is that in Chicago? At check-in, we were welcomed by Nicole, who gave us great maps, explained how to get anywhere we wanted on the CTA, and answered all of our questions patiently and thoroughly. In short, she and every member of the staff made us feel at home, which is how we quickly came to think of the CI. You can buy your 3-day CTA pass at the hotel desk! The CTA station is only about 2 blocks away and it is a 25 minute ride to the loop. Any time, day or night, the CI will drive you to the station or pick you up if you phone them, which was incredibly helpful, given the stress on middle-aged feet and the daily evening thunderstorm! The staff helped us sort through the options for the architecture cruise on the Chicago River, and sold us the tickets at a steep discount. Every day, we had questions about something, and they always provided the answers, with a smile and often with personal information based on their knowledge and love of Chicago.

We hope to visit Chicago again, and I will not even shop around for a hotel; I will just go straight to the Carlton Midway! Kudos to all!!

Room Tip: We were offered a choice of first floor or second. The site looked secure enough, which it was, so...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard S
Fresno, California
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed our stay at this hotel; we stayed six nights. When we arrived, the front desk representative was very friendly and addressed all our needs. They offered to shuttle us to the tram station, a local grocery store, and even to Target. My partner and I tend to be walkers and so anything w/n a 3 mile radius, we prefer to walk.

The room was smaller than expected but it served all our needs. We were in Chicago to enjoy the culture and museums, not to "live" in a hotel. The room was clean and we did not have issues with our neighbors. The rooms are equipped with shampoo and bodywash dispensers as oppose to soap bars and units of shampoo; I tend to prefer soap but managed with the complementary bathing products.

The hotel dog is friendly, has soft fur, and loves attention from guests; there's even photo or two of him in the rooms.

The only sad thing to say is that the complementary continental breakfast setup was changed from having food in the reception area to that of being offered $7 vouchers to a local restaurant just down the street. Originally, breakfast entailed a choice of two dry cereal choices, an assortment of doughnuts, bagels, and an egg-saugage-cheese bagel; coffee and orange juice, and fresh fruit (oranges and apples). This was a wonderful assortment and looked forward to having breakfast there. After a couple of days of this, they said they were changing things and were in "transition" and offered the vouchers. At the restaurant, there is not much of a selection for breakfast and cannot get much items for the voucher amount. The food quality is similar to Denny's but lower quality. I expressed my disappointment to the desk representative on my last morning in hopes that they will reconsider going back to serving breakfast themselves like the first morning.

I will definitely stay here again and I encourage others to book their stay here. Though it's not in the downtown area, it's only a 15-20 minute tram ride from downtown and for 30 dollars for a week pass, it's totally worth the difference in cost for not staying in a hotel in the heart of the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago

+ 2 beds in a room
+ Close to Midway airport
+ Orange line stop nearby
- Mattresses were too springy, not a good sleep
- Breakfast was merely average

Overall, stay here only if you are on the way to/from Midway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Detroit, MI
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I just needed a place to stay for one night. . .this was a business trip and we were on a more strict budget than usual. I was very happy to see this hotel rated highly on TripAdvisor, because the price (for Chicago) can't be beat! Throw in free parking, free Wi-Fi and continental breakfast and this is truly a great value. This is a motel-style property, with no elevator. The front desk was friendly and very helpful. The rooms are basic, but very clean and comfortable and included a small fridge, coffee maker and microwave. Noise from the street was fairly minimal. This is close to Midway Airport, but we didn't hear much air traffic at all. I didn't use the Fitness Center, but there is one available with decent equipment. I would highly recommend this property for those looking for value in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business