“Very Pleased - Glad we selected Carlton Inn Midway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton Inn Midway

Carlton Inn Midway
Ranked #45 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Sugarloaf, California
“Very Pleased - Glad we selected Carlton Inn Midway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Best stay and reasonably priced. Rooms are clean and quiet. Continental breakfast provided a variety of choices, plus coffee makers are in the rooms. Hotel is conveniently located just a block from CTA (the El) and only 4 or 5 stops from the loop making travel to and from the city easy. Even though its only a short walk, the hotel will shuttle you to and from the El if you prefer not to walk. The staff provided outstanding service and was very helpful. We asked for information on museums and were given a list of attractions that contained times and step by step directions to get to them. At one point we ventured off on our own and got lost - a call to the hotel and the staff put us back on the right track. Don't be fooled when you drive up, it looks like a Motel but the service will be like staying at a 4 Seasons. This will be one of the best stays you will have in Chicago.

Room Tip: The hotel is shaped like the letter U. We had a room in the back on the second floor. It was quiet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I were in Chicago for the weekend, Apr 13, 2013 to do a bit of shopping and site seeing so we did our looking around and found this hotel. I am glad we did as our experience was certainly a good one. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly counter person who was very informative and extremely helpful. She pointed out all the amenities and services this place had to offer, which were many.

After checking in, we entered the room and found it to smell clean and fresh, two traits we enjoy finding. Considering the location and the price we were very pleasantly pleased as they had a microwave, a fridge and all the things we would look for in an extended stay location. To bad we were only staying one night as this room was defiantly a nice one. We often travel and have stayed in a wide variety of places, ranking this one pretty high up on our list. The thing that defiantly makes the difference for us though is the people. Straight through the check in to the cleaning staff, it honestly goes to show that these people have pride in this place. Certainly something that was extremely nice to see.

It was defiantly well positioned to get on the subway to head down town, only few blocks down the street, and considering the free parking, it defiantly saved us a bundle staying here for the night. The subway got us down town in only 15 minutes, which is pretty good, the only thing that sucked was how cold it was along with the wait for the train, I am guessing we just missed one. Beyond that it was pretty convenient having it so close to the hotel which provided easy access to any point within the city. My only concern was that if we came back late at night, the area around the subway exit was a little scary looking, especially for someone not used to that sort of site. Thankfully we didn't have that problem and I am sure if we requested the shuttle it would have come pick us up.

For the price, quality and location I would defiantly stay here again, without a doubt. My only thought though would be that if I am again coming down for one night, I will probably spend the extra money to get a place down town just to save the time on seeing the sites. However since my next trip here will be a longer one, I will defiantly be booking a stay here without hesitation and would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality place to stay with some amazing staff while in the city and area.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, make sure you have a few days to spend as it can take a while to get...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Bases on multiple reviews, we chose to deviate from our normal Chicago stays and picked a hotel outside the downtown area. The Carlton Inn exceeded our expectations particularly because of the the office staff. In all of my travels, we cannot recall any management as helpful and sincere as those at the Carleton Inn. We had wonderful suggestions and even a tutorial for using the train. Absolutely a great stay and opportunity to avoid expensive downtown parking fees.

• Stayed April 2013
Vancover, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This property is hard to rate -- a super-nice staff goes the extra mile in every regard, for an old-style motel in a dour area. Convenience to Midway Airport and to the Chicago transit system are big pluses. Our room was fine but not memorable, and plane-noise was noticeable. If you're price-conscious, this is a very good choice at Midway.

Room Tip: First floor might be better for many folks, as the stairways to the 2nd floor are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staye don business, and while an older hotel, definitely full of charm. I liked that it was slightly different and unique than a regular box hotel. The bathroom was stunning with hex tile covering almost every surface, exposed chrome bath fixtures and neat claw foot tub. I worked with an architectural firm and from a design standpoint, it was a good unique place full of character to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I am an over the road trucker in my truck broke down in Chicago today when I arrive at the Hotel the staff was very helpful the room was a lot better than I expected the stuff help me pull my stuff into the room they gave me a ride from the garage to the hotel then back to the garage the next day if I break down in Chicago again I am definitely staying here again

• Stayed April 2013
Brockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

One of my all time favorites and a genuine sleeper of a deal. Spotless and spacious rooms. Superb and hospitable service. All the staff fromYolanda and Valerie and YYvonne at the front desk to John and my favorite shuttle driverSteve made the stay the best part of the trip. An absolute bargain. Close to orange line. Great free breakfast with Dunkin Donut sandwiches and donuts. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013