“Good value and very helpful staff”
Review of Carlton Inn Midway

Carlton Inn Midway
Ranked #53 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel was in a great location for us and was a great value. The room had an overwhelming smell of cleaning products, but the staff was incredibly helpful, going out of their way to find info for us. I would definitely recommend it for value and convenience for people who are in town to see Chicago, rather than a fancy hotel room!!

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed August 22, 2011

Travelling with family on a leisure trip. This is a basic exterior entrance motel that has put effort into nice stylish furnishings. The best part of the stay was the helpful friendly staff who kept the generous breakfast constantly replenished, and gave terrific detailed transportation instructions. On the downside, it is a solid 30+ minutes to downtown museums using the train. The free (very safe) parking is nice but if I returned, I will opt to stay downtown where attractions are within walking distance (Downtown parking can be found for $20 per 24 hours).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank spekkala
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights and I was extremely impressed with such a stylish room for such a low price. It's in a lower-income neighborhood but I never felt unsafe. The staff is very friendly, bends over backwards to help out and is generous with valuable local knowledge. A 5 minute walk to the El train station and then 20 minutes to downtown.I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2011

stayed two days at this hotel, and would recommend it in a second, clean fresh room and the staff were super. two blocks from the over head train to downtown, and a great restaurant two minutes away called Pindos. the staff were great very friendly and helpful. they will drive you to the train if you want even though it is a five minute walk. no worries with leaving your car overnight the place was safe and i felt very secure in leaving my car and even items in the room. 100% recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2011

If you are rich and you don't care about how much money you spend in your travel to get good accommodations, this hotel is not for you. Just skip it. You can find tons of better hotels in Chicago downtown.

However, I'm not that kind of guy. When I go to Chicago twice per year, cost for hotel and parking creates some pain in my wallet. This hotel saved me in that point.

One train(CTA) stop from Midway Airport, five-minutes walk from CTA station and 20 minutes to downtown by CTA...I believe this convenient location is the best part of this hotel. (You can use the shuttle bus to go to airport and CTA station, too!)

Furthermore, the room price is around $100 per night if you book in advance. You cannot find such good deal normally with such convenient location in Chicago. This price includes complimentary breakfast, fitness center and free parking!

I believe you can save $200 per night just by staying at this hotel. With this saving, you can enjoy good meals, concerts and museums in downtown!

Accommodations are kind of average or above a bit with this price but I have no complaint about them. Only complaint I have for this hotel is there is little space to have breakfast in the lobby. It means I have to bring the meals back to my room. As an additional caution, if you come here by your car, be sure arriving earlier to ensure your parking space. Normally, it would be a bit difficult to find a single space in late evening or night.

The above things are kind of minor drawbacks (at least for me). I'll keep using this hotel for my coming Chicago trips.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stopped here for an overnight stay heading west from the East Coast. Wanted to avoid driving into downtown Chicago, yet be close enough to get there via the train. This was the perfect location! Two blocks from the train station (easy walk), yet the staff offered a ride due to the extreme heat during our stay. They also sold train passes & were very helpful explaining how to use the Chicago Transit system based on where we wanted to go. It couldn't have been easier to get downtown....and no driving/traffic and free parking.

The room was clean, the breakfast offered was above average, and I can't say enough about the friendliness of the staff. I'd stay here again next time in the Chicago area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We needed a place close to Midway so we could get to the airport but also get to downtown. And because we needed four rooms, we were definitely on a budget. This hotel was perfect for the occasion. The staff was so very helpful and courteous. They went out of their way to help us get to Chicago for a day of touring and then to the airport bright and early the next morning. Because our flight left at 7 am, we had to be at the airport before 6 am (and before the breakfast was out). The staff got out donuts and drinks extra early to send us on our way and took two vans to get us all to the airport. The rooms were nice and comfortable and the price was right. Thank you so much, Carlton Inn Midway!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Southwest Side
Kenwood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago - Lake Shore
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#4 of 5 in Bedford Park

Been to Carlton Inn Midway? Share your experiences!