“Amazing Stay”

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #21 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Stayed downtown to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. They gave us a suite at no extra cost when they found out we were there for a special occasion. Super clean room and great location. We walked to dinner and there were tons of places to choose from all in walking distance. We did not take advantage of the coctail hour as we went out but the continental breakfast in the morning was a nice touch. Will stay again without a doubt.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,635)

Reviewed February 2, 2011

My sister treated me to a night on the town and this was where we stayed. I loved it!

The room: small but lovely; amazing view

Customer service: AMAZING! From the moment we pulled up in my ratty Civic, every staff member treated us with the utmost courtesy. They anticipated every need we had.

Breakfast/happy hour: A great perk! The breakfast was better than the typical continental breakfast but the happy hour was great!! Free drinks (and they were pretty good!), free appetizers (also good)....

I would love to stay here again. It's chic but not pretentious, comfortable but modern- perfect!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I stayed here in January 2011 while in Chicago on business. The hotel was very conveniently located for my trip, and the room rates seem very good for a nice property in downtown Chicago.

The downtown location is convenient to the Magnificent Mile and other touristy sites. There are tons of restaurants nearby, and the Blue Line (to/from O'Hare) train stops just a couple of blocks from the hotel. Overall the location couldn't have been much more convenient for me.

The hotel is very trendy and contemporary. The public areas and the rooms appeared clean and well maintained. The staff that I interacted with were all friendly. The hotel was suitably quiet despite the location in the heart of downtown.

I did make use of the business center, which was great for printing boarding passes. I also made use of the fitness center, which isn't huge, but has a nice enough selection of cardio equipment and weights/machines. There is a free nightly reception, and in the morning breakfast is laid out on each floor, rather than making you go to a central location. (The breakfast offerings were just so-so though.) There is free wi-fi throughout the hotel, which was also great.

The room itself was clean and reasonably comfortable. The rooms aren't huge by normal standards, but for downtown Chicago they're pretty nice. The TV was a little disappointing. They're on the small side, the TV reception isn't very good, and the remotes are pretty terrible. The clock/radio appears to have many features, but it was actually kind of difficult to use. The bathroom was pretty spacious, with lots of counter space and a dual-head shower.

Overall I would return to this property if I need to be in downtown Chicago again. For the price it's a pretty nice hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 night, booked directly through the hotel website for 109 dollars per night + tax. The overall experience was very good. We stayed in a few other hotels before, but would choose this one if we had to return. Included in the price is breakfast (a bit weird - they sere it next to the elevator and one needs to take food to their room) and evening reception which actually served us a dinner (they had nice selection of food and free drinks, including wine). Rooms nice and clean, good shampoos and soaps.

For cheaper parking, go to Sterling parking - we paid 28 dollars for 24 hrs, pretty good for centre of Chicago. Address: 345 N LaSalle Dr

We had a couple minor problems. First, they charge you extra 50 dollars per day as a deposit and they did not tell us anything about that. So we thought that the hotel was 50 dollars more per day then we booked. Second, the iron didn't work properly, it was hardly warm. Third, air con is noisy, so we had to turn it off for the night.

However, all this is just little things and the good things make up for it many times.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2011

As a new guest to the hotel, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! Your travel advice and comments on our complimentary amenities are much appreciated – we also recommend the nearby public garages as an alternative to our valet services for those not needing in-and-out parking privileges.

Regarding the deposit, we apologize if the policy was not clear and we will follow-up with the front desk team. It is standard practice to authorize funds to cover any incidentals; however, the amount on hold is released in full if there are no charges after check-out.

I’m glad these minor concerns did not affect your experience and we hope to provide you with continued value and comfortable accommodations on any future visits!

Melissa Driza, Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed January 20, 2011

The staff is great. Their always friendly and helpful. Everytime I go I see some of the same guest each time. To me this means people keep coming back. It may not have all the amenities that the larger hotels have, but it also doesn't have the noise and the strangers behind the desk or at the front door.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I found this hotel on Price Line. I didn't expect much because we just needed a place to stay while visiting friends for Thanksgiving. I was pleasantly surprised. I think it is a boutique hotel with a small lobby. The room was adequately sized and nicely furnished.
It was comfortable. They also had a room for happy hour. That was nice. The people at the front desk were very helpful and friendly because we did not know Chicago at all.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I stayed at the Amalfi for 4 nights while on chicago for a conference in November, 2010. The staff was helpful, the room was attractive and clean, and the complimentary breakfast in the elevator lobby on each floor was very nice. The complimentary nightly happy hour was an unexpected and welcome treat. The group of colleagues I was with met there every night for several drinks, and to make dinner plans. This was a great bonus to stay at the Amalfi. Finally, the River North neighborhood had numerous restaurants and bars in easy walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business