“Perfect stay at the Amalfi”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #21 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canton, OH
“Perfect stay at the Amalfi”
Reviewed February 17, 2006

I had shopped around quite a bit for our Feb.9-13 stay in Chicago, and I was so glad we settled on the Amalfi. The location was perfect for us, the staff was very helpful and friendly, and the hotel had everything we needed: a great room, free wireless access for our laptop, an ample breakfast spread right down the hall each morning, and a nice cocktail hour in the evenings in their comfortable lounge, which also happened to be on our floor.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on the Chicago forum--we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank edegenhard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati
Reviewed January 27, 2006

This is the third time I stayed at Amalfi. The room itself is not bad but the TVs have the most horrible speakers through which the CDs play. Asked for a street facing room, got to stare at a brick wall. Worst of all, had the do not disturb sign up so room service never came round (my fault) but called down in the evening to get room ready, came back very late at night and guess what ... not a thing had been done. Not a pleasant way to go to sleep. So, that's it for the Amalfi. Fortunately, there is no dearth of choice in Chicago.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank Mine_Oyster
Paramount, California
Reviewed January 18, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Amalfi in July of 2005. It was an expceptional experience. The staff was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. We showed the concierge our plans for the trip and he offered a few suggestions for changes. Thankfully we took his advice and saved money on the trip and had a wonderful time. We had no problems getting reservations to restaurants or taxis at anytime. The cocktail hour is also something that is not to be missed. Have the signature drink, the Amalfitini and don't miss the mushrooms. You will not regret staying at this hotel

5 Thank Starturtle44
Northeast Ohio (Cleveland/Akron)
Reviewed December 21, 2005

Stayed there 12/13 and 12/14-staff greeting the taxi was very friendly and front-desk staff very friendly and helpful when I asked where the ATM was. The room was pretty average---probably better than average for most hotel rooms downtown. Small, but decent.

Located right next to Redfish--great live music and pretty casual---a fun, lively audience on a Wednesday evening. I'll go there again when I return to Chicago.

If you want to stay close to the hotel, may want to check out Catch35. I had dinner there and after the 'locals' left, I hung out at the bar and chatted with the bar and wait-staff. Lots of fun.

I also had a great time at the Greek Islands---first time for Greek food and the owners/staff knew the person I went with. Very enjoyable and very down-to-earth!! I had a very enjoyable time when I was there.

I wish I could have seen Michigan Avenue all lit up for the holidays but I was sick and it was way too cold. I plan to return for work in January.

The only other thing I'll mention is that the morning continental breakfast, as others have stated, needs a bit more healthy items. I was very close the elevators and the staff woke me up the two mornings setting up the breakfast full of coffee and sweet breads. They have added fruit but could use some bagels and meats rather instead. Too much sweet stuff for most people. Being able to grab yogurt or milk would be great.

I'll consider staying there again as I travel to Chicago often. Just a few kinks to work out.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank vmarshcpa
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 6, 2005

A good small hotel, very nice rooms, attentive help, free Internet, happy hour, breakfast buffet. Unbeatable location! I'd stay here again.

Cautions:
You may have to ask how to work the TV and CD player. The bolster on the bed is kind of unwieldy to move; be a little careful. When we tried, we managed to knock over a lamp. Apparently rooms overlooking the alley get noise from the trash pickup in early AM. Enquire when you book.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank MiguelJ
SA
Reviewed December 2, 2005

I stayed at the Amalfi, basically based on other users opinions. Having never been to Chicago, it was quite a difficult choice to make.

I paid Rack rate for my "Great Corner Room", for which I received not my monies worth. On the positive side, I received an early check-in, which normally is difficult to receive if the hotel is full. My consultant however, never explained anything about the complimentary breakfast, etc. I received my room card and minibar-key with the words: "Call reception if you need to find anything out".

When I got to my "Great Corner Room", I found that I have been placed on the exact opposite corner, of the fabulous photograph that shows the hotel's exterior, facing rooftops at the back of the hotel. Included in the view was a huge watertank, air-conditioning units, the works.

There was no file or folder in the room that explained which services the hotel offered and I was not prepared to ring reception to find out exactly what services, besides the room service menu, the hotel was offering.

All of the concierge staff needs a pat on the back, they were always eager to get you a taxi, welcoming you back to the hotel and just generally being nice.

As a previous user justly pointed out, the hotel needs to get a few basics in order. For the rate I have paid, I expected just that something "extra". It is hard to explain... Will I go back? Probably not as I have spotted quite a few chain groups in the vicinity which I know for a fact delivers a consistent, excellent product.

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank VoyagerRTW
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 23, 2005

Stayed Nov. 19 to see the Brian Setzer Orchestra at the House of Blues. Hotel is a block a way, and a mile from Union Station so taking Amtrak from Milwaukee was a breeze. Check in was easy and quick, and the room was fine. A little small, but it's downtown Chicago. They do run some good deals, unfortunately not for the time we were down there. Check out travelzoo. Reception was fine, but not sure what all the buzz is about for the amalfitini. Very punchy, gave it to my wife and she passed on it as well. Bed very comfortable, even though it was a little scary :) to see a 2 story Harry Carray staring back at you. Soundproofing needs a little work. A lady in the room next door had a conniption on the phone at 2 am and we heard every word. :(
Check out the Redfish right next door for a nice dinner/drinks.
Would stay there again at the right price.

• Stayed November 2005