“Great location, ok hotel”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #19 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 23, 2005

Stayed Nov. 19 to see the Brian Setzer Orchestra at the House of Blues. Hotel is a block a way, and a mile from Union Station so taking Amtrak from Milwaukee was a breeze. Check in was easy and quick, and the room was fine. A little small, but it's downtown Chicago. They do run some good deals, unfortunately not for the time we were down there. Check out travelzoo. Reception was fine, but not sure what all the buzz is about for the amalfitini. Very punchy, gave it to my wife and she passed on it as well. Bed very comfortable, even though it was a little scary :) to see a 2 story Harry Carray staring back at you. Soundproofing needs a little work. A lady in the room next door had a conniption on the phone at 2 am and we heard every word. :(
Check out the Redfish right next door for a nice dinner/drinks.
Would stay there again at the right price.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank locogringo1sttimerWI
Write a ReviewReviews (2,620)

Reviewed November 16, 2005

I booked this hotel for a business trip since I was able to get a $129 rate on Travelzoo and figured I'd save my company some money. I had also read excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. I had a guaranteed and confirmed room reservation for two nights in November. When I arrived in Chicago at 7:30pm I decided to go to dinner prior to checking in so called the hotel to request a late check in and was told "no problem." When I arrived at the hotel at 11:45pm I was told they didn't have a room for me and that I'd have to move to the Four Points Sheraton which they paid for. It was a major inconvenience to have to move and completely unacceptable that my confirmed room was given away. I was told that they overbooked and didn't get as many cancellations as they expected. I did check into the hotel the next day and once there did have a good experience.

I would recommend staying here but do ensure that your reservation is indeed confirmed and avoid any late check-ins or you might not have a room!

The "experience designers" were great and very helpful. The rooms were very nice and comfortable (felt like home). The breakfast could stand to add on some bagels for the "healthy factor." It was nice that they did have fruit.

I think that once the kinks are worked out that this will be a great hotel--they just need to get the basics down!

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank pamtravels
Reviewed November 13, 2005

After a few hours of hotel research, I decided on the Amalfi based on stellar reviews and somewhat reasonable prices. I was unable to book a room for a single night online, so it took a couple of phone calls to secure a reservation. I found the staff to be polite and accomodating. My husband and I checked in 2 hours early and perhaps we caught the reservation desk between shifts. Instead of being greeted by our "experience designer", as cited on the web site as being someone who will go above and beyond to execeed expectation, we were given a key to our room and a half-hearted "welcome to the Amalfi". We were not told about the manager's reception or the breakfast on our floor. I had to call the front desk to find out the time and location. The room was fine... small and tidy and suited for a single business person. The bathroom was above average. However upon removal of a towel, the towel bar fell off the wall. It was incorrectly mounted and needed repair. We reported this problem directly to the staff at the front desk. Three and a half hours and a second phone call later, the problem was remedied. The manager's reception on the sixth floor was bizarre. Located in a small conference-type room, about 30 people were not so much mingling as they were being hearded into a single file line headed by a staff member with a large plastic pitcher of "amalfitinis" in each hand yelling out "who wants what". A large flat screen was showing a football game and a dozen people balanced tacky, frosted martini glasses and plate fulls of supermarket deli meats and stale focaccia on small, dimly lit tables. Awkward and not tasty. I don't blame the manager for not attending his own reception. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the sheets were above average. Upon attempting to close the drapes, we were schocked to find this was not a possibility. There is no way to block out the morning light. Maybe this is a tactic to encourage early check out. The housekeeping staff and doormen were all very pleasant. It is difficult to find a decent room for less than a couple hundred dollars in this area, but I'd say it's worth further investigation.

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank austinegg
Reviewed November 5, 2005

I went to Chicago with two girlfriends for a nice relaxing weekend. We chose the Amalfi based on positive reviews and were sadly dissapointed.

Arrival: We checked in 1 hour after "official check-in" and were told by a rather rude clerk that our room wasn't ready and just because we reserved a room with 2 queen beds didn't mean that was what we would get. He recommended we take a king with a roll away. We didn't pay hundreds top rate to sleep on a roll away. We had pre-paid for a room with 2 queen beds and got that response.

Housekeeping: Bathroom items and coffee were not replaced during our stay. We had to ask for both the next day.

Breakfast: Extemely over rated. There was no nutritional value. It was muffins, danishes, coffee and juice. How about some fruit, bagels, or yogurt?

I think our review of the hotel would have been a lot better if we would have had a smooth check in and been treated like paying customers.

I will add that Amal (experience designer) saved the day. She was very helpful in getting dinner reservations and recommending places to eat. She was alway's polite and willing to help.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone after the customer service issues we had.

5  Thank Ramona M
Reviewed November 1, 2005

Stayed at the Amalfi Oct 28-31. Took Blue Line from OHare to Grand, walked 3 blocks across river, all for $1.75. Good location. MagMile is about 3 blocks away, as is Merchandise Mart & Furniture (!) district. Harry Caray's is across the street, Frontera Grill (excellent, but be ready to wait an hour) around the corner. Giordano's pizza, a must-eat, was maybe 5-6 blocks north on Rush. Room was fine tho smaller than expected. I like pastries for breakfast, unlike some other reviewers, tho a microwave would be a nice addition for heating them up. Free happy hour is a nice touch. Overall, a fine tho not especially luxurious hotel. We'd go back.

1  Thank WSmile5
Reviewed October 16, 2005

We stayed at Amalfi for 2 nights and i have to say after reading all the reviews here i expected a little bit more. It's a fine place with clean bathrooms and comfy beds but it's just not worth the money.

It does have comfy beds and free continental breakfast. The sheets though, made us itch for some reason and we are normally not sensitive to these things. The breakfast could really benefit from some bagels or yougurt. Otherwise, it's just an early morning sugar attach of muffins, danishes, sweet breads, and croissants.

There are plenty of restaurants around but they are all of the big chain variety, if you are into that sort of thing.

Also, the windows do not open and there is a climate control device in the room. The problem with it that it keeps blowing air all the time, alternating between cold and warm, right over the bed. There is a sign not to turn it off but we did once just to see what happens and the air in the room got uncomfortably stale.

They do have a business center where you can send fax and use internet for free. The problem is it is only one tiny room with one computer in there. One person at a time...

All and all, we will not stay there again. If we feel like luxury, we have to find some other place. But if we feel like a regular hotel in the heart of the city, maybe we will try Red Roof Inn or something like that. At least we'll know what we are paying for.

11  Thank AllyRi
Reviewed October 7, 2005

We attended a Bachorette Party in Chicago in Aug 2005. There were 10 girls total. We had 5 rooms ... and I did not hear one complaint from anyone during our entire extended weekend.

Never been to Chi-town before, I booked our hotel based on reviews from TA. And we were not disappointed. The staff is wonderful, the happy hour was just fabulous. The room was nice and clean, with a great double headed shower and Aveda products was an extra bonus! Then you also get free internet in your room!

The hotel was chic and hip without the pretentiousness. We still talk about what a wonderful time we had ... and we all agree that if we ever go back to Chicago we will be staying at the Amalfi again.

Trust me the pics don't do it justice!

• Stayed: August 2005