“Great location...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“Great location...”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The web site claims "A luxury boutique hotel located in downtown Chicago’s River North district, the Amalfi Hotel Chicago offers the ultimate in modern style and hospitality/For some, an experience is more than a brief flash of the extraordinary. Rather, it’s a brilliant assault to the senses that leaves you glowing for hours, days, even years." Well, the location is indeed excellent, just north of the Chicago river and within easy walking distance of most attractions. It offers a very good happy hour buffet. Our "Experience Designer" was very helpful at check-in - we also found that our room had external noise from air conditioning on adjacent property and we were given a choice of rooms for the next day and a discount for the first night. All good. However, this is not a luxury boutique hotel compared to our experience elsewhere: our reaction on arrival was disappointment at the décor and finish, the breakfast would disgrace many motels (stale pastries, boiled eggs that someone had peeled and put in one container, so goodness knows how many fingers had caressed any egg that we might have chosen, sugary packaged cereals) and staff service was sometimes warm and friendly but sometimes cold and perfunctory. So it's a bit oversold for the price. Overall satisfactory.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms because they overlook properties with aircon units on the roof.
1 Thank letouquetlover
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re happy to know you had a pleasant stay with us. I’m pleased you found our central location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to walk to many of the nearby sites. I am sorry to hear that your first room was not satisfactory but pleased that our front office team was able to easily resolve that issue for you. I’m disappointed to hear that the condition of our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast was not up to our high standards of quality. I’ve passed along your feedback to our Food and Beverage manager to ensure those issues do not occur again in the future. I’m also sorry that not all our front office team members lived up to the high level of service we pride ourselves on. I will use your feedback to review and retrain our associates in order to meet and exceed the level of hospitality that you deserve. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your helpful comments. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and show you our commitment to a positive guest experience.

Cordially,
Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed October 24, 2013

when in Chicago i will only stay at the Amalfi.
great location, five star staff,perfectly run hotel.
breakfast buffet on each floor is more then just convenient.
rooms are very appealing .even the towels are first rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to be your “home away from home” in Chicago! I’m pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our hotel team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m further pleased to hear you found our rooms to your liking and enjoyed our in-room amenities—like our new, oversized, fluffy towels. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. Thank you so much for the warm recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

California
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Location great, most staff very friendly, continental breakfast buffet (on each floor) very nice and generous, room well appointed, cleaning staff very thorough, happy hour mostly very good. Overall "very good"! Cons: no view (but this boutique hotel only 6 stories with offices above)---we were fine with this as we were out and about all day and evenings; attended 3 of 5 nights happy hours: 2 had very nice simple but generous appetizer buffet: cheeses, bread, pasta salad, veggies, salami. One night, however, I arrived about 1/2 way through the 3 hour "happy hour" and there was a 1/2 platter of veggies, 1 bowl of cheese chunks and some stale bread; I asked if they were replenishing and staff just said "no, we ran out and no more"--I thought that was weird. Hotel allows dogs; I like dogs and wouldn't have know had I not seen a sweet one in the halls AND, unfortunately, a very yappy dog one night was left by owners as they went out for evening. Concierge could not do anything about this; fortunately by the time we returned that night the owners were back and yapping stopped. Finally, I just have to say we were a bit put off by the lack of grace when we checked out. No "thanks for staying with us"... We left our bags for a couple hours and when we retrieved them to go to airport, again, not even a smile or a good-bye from desk staff. Hmmmm.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cvcalifornia
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. While I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, I’m disappointed to hear that not all our team members lived up to the high standards of service we strive to deliver. We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and I will be following up with you for more information on your stay. We will use your feedback to review and retrain our associates in every department in order to meet and exceed the level of hospitality that you deserve. I’m further sorry to hear that the appetizers were not replenished in a timely fashion during our complimentary evening reception. I will also be passing along your feedback to our Food and Beverage manager to ensure this is not an issue again in the future. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the newly upgraded selection of breakfast items. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your helpful feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I chose the Amalfi hotel while in Chicago for a meeting as it seemed like a good location and included a lot of extras that other hotels didn't. The room was a reasonable size and the bathroom quite spacious, even though the shower was over the bath. The toiletries were great (Aveda) and individual 'serves' which I appreciate - I hate the trend at some hotels for the shampoo and body wash to be a pump attached to the wall - always seems so unhygienic.
The TV had an overwhelming choice of stations and you could either watch from the comfort of the bed or from a sofa seat in the corner of the room. There was also a small/narrow desk to use your lap top at, which was great.

The breakfast being provided in the elevator lobbies of every floor seemed a strange concept, but worked quite well. Luckily my room was away from the area so noise didn't bother me. There was a reasonable choice of pastries, muffins, donuts, bagels, fruit, yoghurt and juice. In the evening there was the complimentary cocktails and appetisers which was really convenient and as a solo traveller meant I didn't have to leave the hotel or fend for myself after a long day of meetings. The appetisers included a variety of cold meats, cheese, crackers, antipasto (some nights), tomato/bocconcini skewers and a pasta salad (one night). I think the trick was to come early as once the food ran out it didn't seem to get replaced. The bar staff were great and friendly and Marco could make you whatever cocktail you wanted ... as long as it was on ice (not shaken).

My only issue was that of noise in the room. When I first arrived I had a room on the 6th floor and there was a constant hum. When I looked out the window I saw the building next door's air conditioning units at eye level and assumed this was the source of the noise. I asked to be changed to another room, which I was, but the second room was a lot worse. It was on the 2nd floor and overlooked the street (in particular the bar Harry Canary?) which was terribly noisy until the wee hours of the morning right through the weekend. In addition, the room had a constant droning noise that I now think was the ducted air conditioner throughout the whole hotel. If I had kept my ear plugs from the flight it may have been bearable but even when watching TV the humming/droning noise was constant. I didn't complain about the second room as I felt that the staff had already tried to accommodate me, but after not getting much sleep on my last of 4 nights (which was a Saturday) I regretted my decision to put up with it.

Would I return if in Chicago - probably yes, but I would definitely ask for a quiet room on a high floor away from the street and bring ear plugs!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Seabird21
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We’re pleased to know you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m happy you found our rooms spacious and to your liking. I’m pleased you enjoyed our in-room amenities like the Aveda spa products and our newly upgraded cable TV package with a wide selection of channels to choose from. However, I’m sorry to hear about the noise issues you encountered. We take all noise complaints very seriously and I will be following up with you for more information so we may rectify the issues you experienced immediately. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the wide selection of new breakfast items. I’m also happy you were able to indulge in our evening cocktail reception and appreciate the kind comments about our Ravello Lounge team—Marco in particular! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughtful review. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Mississauga
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Was visiting Chicago for work and extended my stay to enjoy the city since it was my first time in Chicago. The Amalfi was in the best location - close to Michigan Ave for shopping, across the street from Harry Carry's for drinks and dinner, and everything is walking distance! I really enjoyed the continental breakfast that was prepared every morning on each floor, by the elevators so you could grab a bite to eat and bring it back to your room - great idea!

Room Tip: The only reason why I didn't rate this as excellent all around is that my room was right across...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the glowing review! We’re flattered you chose to spend your first Chicago stay with us and thrilled that it was such an enjoyable visit! I’m pleased to hear you found our central downtown location to your liking—especially our close proximity to the Michigan Avenue shopping district and all the great restaurants surrounding us, including Harry Caray’s Steakhouse. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each guest floor. We truly appreciate you sharing your kind recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon!

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel, and we have had a great experience both times. The staff are always cheerful and a great help. We love the reception they have every night - with free drinks and appetizers! Also, the location is great - near the Magnificent Mile and many great restaurants. Will definitely stay here again next time we are in Chicago

Room Tip: The reception is on the 6th floor - great to have a room on that floor so you can easily get your dr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank so much for the rave review! We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I’m especially pleased to receive such lovely feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s such a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception and appreciated the wide variety of hors d’oeuvres. I’m also happy you found our downtown Chicago location to your liking—especially our close proximity to the nearby Magnificent Mile! Your 5-star recommendation is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay with us very soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great location, amazing service, excellent continental breakfast and evening cocktails. We were there to visit universities with my granddaughter and we both had a great time.
have booked another stay in November, the location is so convenient to shopping, restaurants and transportation.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ami I
Thank you kindly for the 5-star review! We’re delighted to hear you and your granddaughter enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. I’m pleased to hear you found our location in the downtown River North district convenient to all your shopping and dining needs. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your warm recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back in November!