“Fantastic place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sarnia, Ontario
“Fantastic place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My son, friend, and her daughter all stayed at the Amalfi hotel for four days in mid August. The hotel was clean, close to everything, and the staff was excellent. Yes, some of the furniture in the lobby had very small rips in the leather (or vinyl?), but it was all spotless! We were met with smiles, and constant offers of assistance. I had just broken my foot, and was in a wheelchair for most of the trip. The Amalfi staff were very accomodating, and extremely helpful when it came to arranging cab service with the extra space for my chair. We arrived too early to check our bags into our room, and upon leaving we also had nowhere to put our bags while we hit a few last minute tourist attractions. The hotel graciously held all 7 of our bags (I did mention that three of us were ladies, right? Hence the 7 bags for 4 days...) while we completed our trip. Breakfast on the floor was such a plus, and even though the variety was small, it was certainly enough to satisfy everyone! Cocktail hour was fantastic, and we met folks from France, New Orleans, Kentucky, and a few other places. The bar room is a bit small, but really it just forced us to talk to strangers, and it made the trip that much more interesting. I had been corresponding with one of the staff at the hotel previous to our arrival, and she helped to make our trip ten times better. A very big thank you to Ms. Bertetto - you deserve a pat on the back from the management there - before I even arrived I knew I had found my favourite place to stay!!! I've travelled often, stayed at Four Seasons, Fairmonts, and many other places. I believe the Amalfi beats them all with their uniqueness, proximity to attractions, and the dynamics of the staff.. The only complaint I have is one. After we left on the first day we had slept there to explore, we came back to a room that had barely been touched. I was a little surprised by that. BUT it was only once, and the room was kept neat and tidy for the next three days. KAC from Sarnia, Ontario

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Many thanks for the thoughtful review! We’re so pleased to receive such positive guest feedback. I’m especially pleased to receive such wonderful comments about our front office team—Magan Bertetto, in particular. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear our team was able to assist with cab service and more. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our evening cocktail reception. I think the evening reception is a great way to mix and mingle with other guests and I’m pleased to read that you agree. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your warm recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel is so well situated to see all of downtown Chicago and is close enough to walk everywhere. The staff were helpful and it was great to have a continental breakfast and evening reception included. The room was comfortable and clean and quiet at night. A little noise each morning with street traffic but overall a really good stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you kindly for the lovely review! We’re delighted to know you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I’m pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our convenient downtown location and walk to all the nearby sites. I’m also happy you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate your 5-star recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked the hotel for 7 nights through Hotwire secret hot rate and specified we were a family with a teenager. Apparently, we were booked for a King bed. The hotel wanted to charge us additional $ to switch to two queens. Most hotels we have booked through Expedia and Hotwire (and even priceline) have always accommodated a request for two doubles but the Amalfi charges extra for it's two queen beds, even though it is the same size room as it's King bed room.

However, after much wrangling with the hotel management based on just the principle that we had specified we would be three people in all and a teenager can't be expected to share a bed with parents - they moved us a two queens beds after the first night at no extra charge. Even so, we were paying almost $190 per night after taxes and fees.

The management did send us a letter of apology and complimentary cookies & drink the second night.

The hotel itself is highly recommended. The beds are very comfortable and room was clean. The complimentary breakfast is adequate to get you started and convenient since it's on each floor. The hotel also has complimentary Wi-fi. We did not use the parking so cannot comment on that. The location could not be better - we walked to quite a few sights and connections to most EL lines is just few blocks from hotel. There are also many restaurants nearby.

Despite the unpleasantness with the bed type and the slight tension due to that (not a great feeling for a vacation), I would recommend this hotel based on the location and room and the fact the hotel did resolve our request satisfactorily at our insistence. Though I would ensure that the room is booked via a service that allows to specify the bed type since the rates are different.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from alleys or on a top floor. Also, if bed type is important, book from a servi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize for the room type issues you encountered at check-in. We have several different room types available and charge different rates for each one. We have a limited amount of rooms with two beds so we do recommend confirming your preferred room type upon booking your reservation. If you don’t see the room type you need online, we recommend calling the hotel directly. I am happy our front office team was able to resolve the issue and accommodate you with your request for two beds. I’m pleased to hear you found central location in downtown Chicago to your liking, especially with our close proximity to many of the city attractions. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast to your liking and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned home from Chicago. We stayed at the Amalfi Hotel from August 20 to August 24. The location was perfect for us. We had booked the Hop on-Hop off bus. The spots for pick up were close to the hotel. The hotel is convenient to restaurants and the downtown area. Upon arriving at the Amalfi the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our friends had arrived the day before and the staff made sure we were in the same floor as them. Each day we returned after seeing the sites, we were always greeted by all staff in the front foyer with a smile and "how was your day".

A breakfast was provided every morning. Just by the elevator on each floor there were bagels, muffins, cereal, juice, coffee, tea and milk. Breakfast was to be eaten in the comfort of your room.

Each evening from 6:00 to 8:00 pm on the sixth floor in a "lounge room" there were hors d'ouvers and drinks offered at no expense to the guests. Complimentary drink tickets were given upon arrival. It was a nice way to relax for awhile before going out again for the evening.

Wake up calls, assistance and information were all given in a very friendly manner. We would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

A most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2013
What a flattering review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s always a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m happy you found our central location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of the nearby Chicago Trolley bus. I agree their “hop-on, hop-off” tour is a great way to see the city! I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed the complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. And I’m happy to hear you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception—a great way to relax at the end of the day, as you mentioned! Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Toledo, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I booked directly on the Amalfi website for a two night stay in a deluxe King nonsmoking room for two adults and a 10 year old. The cost was $429 before taxes.

I asked for a 5th or 6th floor room facing the city because I had read the reviews. The reservation supervisor assured us 8 days before our trip that the desk staff makes their very best effort to meet such requests. We were given a room (room 212) on the second floor.

Our room was so small they could not fit in a roller bed for our daughter. They offered us a room that could take a roller bed for $25 per night extra; however this room was also on the second floor and would have us facing a brick wall across an alley where homeless people meet (read other reviews). We decided not to accept this "upgrade".

At that point our consolation was that at least the room was not as noisy as described in other reviews, but that was before the night. The night noises from the street were very loud and kept our daughter awake most of the night. It also did not help that the room was constantly cold and the air conditioning control unit was ineffective.

The room carpet and bathroom tiles are of a color designed not to show dirt, however along with the room window, they were noticeably either dirty, stained or grimy. The bathroom ceiling clearly needs repair.

The furniture in the room were flimsy and chipped. The furniture in the public areas on the second and fifth floor (where the gym is) are also chipped. The TV is not high definition and is appropriately sized for such a small room.

A faint putrid smell during the free breakfast should have warned me not to go early morning jostling for the rancid eggs, which eventually left me with an upset stomach.

It was not all bad though, there was great weather and we visited nice restaurants and many attractions. This hotel is within walking distance to many Chicago attractions. Wifi was good and and the gym was nice (at night). In summary I did not have to apologize too much to my wife and daughter for making such a poor choice of an hotel as the other aspects of the trip covered up.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dominic W
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear that your room was not your liking. We do try our best to accommodate all room requests; however, it is difficult to do so during busy periods and I’m sorry we were unable to accommodate you with a room on a higher floor. I’m further sorry to hear the condition of your room was not up to the high standards we pride ourselves on. I will pass along your feedback to the appropriate departments to ensure these maintenance issues are fixed immediately, if they have not been remedied already. I’m sorry to hear that the breakfast was not to your liking as well; we confirmed with our Food & Beverage manager that we get our eggs fresh every day and though they are served in a freezer-cooled bucket, the eggs are never frozen. We appreciate you taking the time to share your helpful feedback. We wish you safe travels in the future.

Cordially,
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We recently booked this hotel through Hotwire and got a very good price. I hadn't checked the hotel out before as it was always a bit above our budget. So I was pleasantly surprised when I booked this and read all the fabulous reviews. My daughter picked Chicago as our annual road trip so we drove into the heart of the city and it was very easy to get to the hotel. When pulling up for the valet parking pull up in front of the front doors as there is also a private valet service just at the corner and this is not part of the hotel. Check in was fabulous and they unloaded our car and took our bags up to our room. The rooms are not overly large but with so much to see and do in the city there is little time to spend n the room. We were lucky enough to be on the 6th floor, just beside the elevator, which you could not hear once inside your room. The hospitality room where they serve happy hour was just down the hall and was a fabulous treat. Breakfast is put out every morning just outside the elevators and we could slip out every morning in our pj's and robes to help ourselves. The selection of food was fantastic and was more then enough! The hotel is in just the right location and made it very easy to get to all the sites and eateries. I highly recommend a restaurant not too far from the hotel called Centro, it was fabulous! they serve homestyle so order a couple of dishes and share them. We also had stuffed pizza at Giordanis and it was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and loved the city of Chicago.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re delighted to hear you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us. I’m happy to hear you found our central downtown location to your liking and that you were able walk to all the nearby sites. And I’m happy to hear you were able to take advantage of all the delicious restaurants surrounding us, like Centro and Giordano’s! I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also pleased to hear you were able to indulge in and enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate such a glowing recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again for another Chicago getaway.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you looks for a no-frills/no drills hotel in a good central location at a good price, Amalfi is your pick. Check-in and -out is efficient and fast (maybe a given in USA bu I live in China...and for you who travel to China, you know what I mean..)
Rooms are "just right", clean (but this is a given for me in USA), bathroom is relatively large when compared to the room and amenities are good quality (Aveda). I loved the choice of sweets and nuts offered in the room. The breakfast is quite peculiar as it is self-service by the elevator at each floor, with a good choice of muffins, bakery, cereals, yogurts etc
the gym is small but well equipped.
The bar offers complimentary drinks during happy hours...very crowded..so I guess people like it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank barbara b
Thank you for sharing your kind review. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m happy you found our rooms to your liking, as well as our in-room amenities like the Aveda spa products. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the newly enhanced selection of breakfast items. Your thoughtful recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!