“Would not return”

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The bad definitely overshadowed any good there could be found about this hotel. We were looking forward to our trip and were comforted by the reviews on TA that talked the hotel up. Maybe expectations were too high but for value for the money I would have felt cleaner and been more rested at a holiday inn express or Fairfield inn and suites in the city.

First off the pictures are not an accurate representation. The hotel was just run down and not very clean.

The reception in the evening is a nice idea but very crowded and again cleanliness. People leave plates and dishes in the hallway and they sit there for days.

The location is decent but because the hotel is the bottom 6 floors it is very loud from outside the windows. I have stayed at other hotels downtown and not had this problem.

Last as we were checking out this morning we noticed a bug crawling on our bed. I took a photo and looked it up online, and you guessed it, bed bug. I know that many hotels have bed bugs or have issues with them but just gross. Now I have to go home and worry about making sure the bed bugs don't also come home with me.

Overall not a four star hotel and not worth the value. Very disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jlmh49
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced on your recent stay; the bed bugs in particular. Our Housekeeping team is trained to constantly check all public areas, including guest rooms, for evidence of bed bugs. This is the first incident we’ve heard of at the hotel and we will be following up with you directly for more information, in order to inspect your room and cleanse if necessary. I’m also sorry to hear about the noise disturbances you encountered. We will be following up with our neighboring businesses to ensure this is not an issue moving forward. We take all guest feedback very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. We wish you safe travels in the future.

Cordially,
Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,592)

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We were looking forward to staying at Amalfi based on TA reviews. Unfortunately our experience did not live up to the billing.

Let's start with the good. Location (except for noise) central for exploring Chicago. The evening reception (if you ignore the lax clearing of dishes) is very nice.

We had a number of issues that add up to a bad experience. First off the on site parking is $56 per night. What made it worst is valet service was glacial. We called 15 mins ahead from our room. Then had to wait another 20 mins outside. They apologized (some problem with the gate we were told) but how about cutting our parking bill if you can't get the car in a reasonable time?

Our room was bad. About half the room was hallway (see pics). It faced a horrible brick wall (see pics). It was on the corner between some alleys. One night the yelling and swearing from the restaurant delivery below our room was so bad I almost called the police. I thought a fight was going to break out. The next night the garbage truck came at 2am and then another noisy truck at 5am. Not drive by, sitting in the alley making lots of noise.

As stated earlier, the evening reception was a nice touch, but again there is a dark side. The staff was lax in clearing dishes and glasses and forget about wiping down the tables and counters. Gross.

A lot of people rave about breakfast on your floor. But of course no hot dishes. I would have preferred the normal hot breakfast most hotels offer.

I do hope the hotel improved the cleanliness of the reception and either lowers the valley parking or improves the efficiency of getting cars. Not much they can do about the room we had.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize that your recent stay did not live up to the high standards we pride ourselves on. I’m sorry for the wait you experienced with our valet service; we will review with the parking garage management to ensure this does not happen again in the future. I’m also sorry for the noise disturbances you experienced as well; while rare, we do take all noise complaints very seriously and will be reviewing city noise ordinances with all of our neighboring businesses to make sure noise incidents do not occur in the future. I apologize if the view was not to your liking; we do have a number of rooms with city views, which are available upon request. While I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception, I’m sorry that the dishes were not cleaned up in a timely and efficient manner. I’ve passed along your feedback to our Food and Beverage manager so he may review with his staff. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and having you experience the full guest experience we pride ourselves on delivering.

Cordially,

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Amalfi on a 5 day business trip. I could not be more happy with my stay. The Amalfi offers exactly what I am looking for in a business hotel: a very central location, quiet rooms, inpeccable cleanliness, spacious rooms and comfortable beds. I woke up every morning well rested ready for the working day and one morning even made it to the gym on my floor.

The breakfast is a take away breakfast available next to the elevators. This concept is very nice, as on a business trip I don't want to use time to go downstairs full a breakfast. For European taste, the breakfast offering could contain less sugar. They offer juice, coffee/ tea, croissants, donuts, muffins, cereals and flavoured yoghurts, as well as a small selection of fruit. It would be perfect if the selection could be complemented with natural yoghurt and some savory pastries.

My room was cleaned every day to a very high standard. The reception personnel is very friendly. They also offer an evening reception, but I did not make it on any of the nights, as I was meeting friends and colleagues.

The location is perfect. The area seemed safe and has very many restaurants to choose from. The Magnificient Mile is close by, even though I did not have time for shopping this time either.

My favorite business hotel in Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Finnish_in_Berlin

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciate the convenience of it being served on each floor. We are currently in the process of upgrading our breakfast selection and will be sure to pass your suggestions along to our Food and Beverage department! I’m also pleased to hear you liked our central location in the downtown River North district. Hopefully next time you stay with us, you’ll be able to spend time shopping on the nearby Magnificent Mile! We truly appreciate such a glowing recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel has a great location for exploring the city and lots of action around it. Rooms were lovely. We lacked nothing. A nice breakfast is served on each floor in the morning. The daily cocktail party was great! We loved it here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m pleased to hear you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and that you were able to visit all the nearby sites. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our recently enhanced complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our evening cocktail reception. Your kind recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We spent four nights at the Amalfi and it was a wonderful experience. From front desk staffer Meg assigning us room #530 (as recommended in an earlier review) to the comfortable bed, to the convenient breakfast on your floor to the nightly reception (with great drinks & antipasto) it was all excellent. The Amalfi is ideally located to explore the City and with all the extras it represents great value.

Room Tip: End of halls is great - 430, 530, 630
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your Amalfi experience with the TripAdvisor community. We’re delighted to receive such positive guest feedback. I’m especially pleased to receive such thoughtful comments about our team—Meg, in particular. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast—recently enhanced with a bigger and better selection of breakfast items! I’m also happy to hear you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. Your kind recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Located just north of the Chicago River, this place is a hidden gem of a hotel. The staff was incredibly easy to work with during the reservation process, and our check in was smooth as could be. The nightly hors d'oveurs were a big hit for my wife and I, and the breakfast was conveniently located on each floor. Yes, I did hit the buffet in my bathroom... not ashamed to admit it!

It was a great location from which to explore Michigan and State streets, and was just a few short blocks from the El stop. Can't say enough about this place.. I have already recommended it to friends and relatives.

Room Tip: The view overlooking Harry Carry's place was kind of funny...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

What a flattering review! We’re delighted to hear you and your wife had such an enjoyable stay with us! I’m especially pleased to receive such kind words about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to know we came through on that promise. I’m also pleased to hear you found our central location in downtown Chicago to your liking and conveniently walk to all the nearby sites, like the Magnificent Mile and the State Street shopping district. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. We truly appreciate you recommending us already to your friends and family. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Amalfi was perfect for what we needed while we stayed in Chicago. They were very informative when we checked in. Kept our bags after we checked out, so we could go wander around the city. Every staff member was pleasant and very helpful. Even had discount tickets at the front desk for the Shedd Aquarium. Breakfast was right by the elevators on each floor. Everything was made very easy for us, would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for the lovely review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! I’m pleased to hear they were able to assist with you information and in purchasing our discounted VIP Shedd Aquarium tickets. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our recently enhanced complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!