“Good Hotel in the Heart of the Action”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #22 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 17, 2013

If you are looking to stay near the night life, this is the hotel for you. I stayed there over Memorial day weekend in May. The hotel is within walking distance of several bars and restaurants in the River North area. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff is very friendly. They gave us several recommendations for lunches and dinners. Overall, it was a great experience.

The complimentary cocktails are nice, but the room is weird and there is a weird vibe...but it is free.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review. We’re delighted to know you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend with us. I’m pleased to know you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to enjoy all the many bars and restaurants surrounding us. I’m especially pleased to receive such warm feedback about our team and happy to know they were able to assist with dining recommendations! Your gracious recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Amalfi Hotel was not a planned stay. It kind of happened by accident and we were lucky to get a room on such short notice. It was my first time in Chicago. I dream of the day I can go back and experience this city and this wonderful, fun modern hotel and it’s wonderful, accommodating staff. The room was beautiful and the food served at breakfast was great. The happy hour food was truly a wonderful experience of Italian delights. My husband bought be a robe because they were so so nice and he wanted me to always remember our stay. I would highly recommend this hotel for the professional on business or the romantic as I was both on my stay here. CMG

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re so happy to know you chose to stay with us for your first visit to Chicago. I’m pleased to hear you found our rooms to your liking and enjoyed our in-room amenities, like our new, fluffy robes. As you mentioned, our robes are available for purchase and I’m delighted your husband chose to buy one for you to remember your trip by! I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast as well as our complimentary evening cocktail reception. We’re truly delighted to know your first stay with us was such a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed three nights at the hotel and found it to be a fantastic spot for us. We traveled as a family of four, with two children, and we had plenty of space in the room (2 queen beds) which is sometimes a problem in central urban hotels. In addition, the hotel provides a refrigerator in the room which was very helpful for us in keeping snacks, etc. The location is excellent--easy walking distance to Millennium Park or Navy Pier and an easy walk to two different L lines. We went to a Cubs game one of the days we stayed and it was an easy 20 minutes on the Red Line. Maybe the best part of the hotel, however, was the food! They provide a great continental breakfast--although not hot, it's a great way to start the day and included yogurt and hard-boiled eggs as well as the usual cold breakfast fare. In addition, from 5-7 in the evenings they provided free drinks (1 per guest) and an antipasto selection including cheeses and vegetables and meats. This was great and honestly served as our dinner one of the nights as we'd had a late lunch.

The only negative I would mention was that the price of parking was very high ($56/night) and was more than was advertised when I booked the hotel ($49/night).

Overall, a great hotel that I would definitely recommend and would stay at again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lizzy502
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for the kind review! We’re pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us! I’m happy you found our rooms to your liking and appreciated the in-room amenities, like the small refrigerator. I’m further pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the recently enhanced selection of breakfast items, including Greek yogurt and hard-boiled eggs. I’m also happy to hear you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception with two drinks per guest and newly extended hours, from 5-8pm. I’m especially pleased to hear you liked our central location in downtown Chicago and take advantage of both the nearby attractions as well as the convenient CTA system. As you mentioned, our parking rate recently went up from $49 to $56. Unfortunately our rates are dependent on city of Chicago taxes and our parking rate was forced to go up with the recent tax raise. We truly appreciate your 5-star recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have stayed at the Amalfi about six times over the last three years for business and never had a bad experience. It is perfectly located on the north end of the Business district. Only a block from the Chicago River, easy walk to Michigan Avenue shopping and only a few blocks from State Street and the theaters. The staff is caring and attentive. The room is immaculate and comfortable. There is a continental breakfast provided on each floor by the elevators, so you can grab some thing to get your day started. The coffee is good, they have bagels, sweet rolls, fruit, cereal, granola bars, juice, etc. There is a complimentary happy hour that serves terrific appetizers and cocktails. It is a very nice space and many guests gather in the friendly atmosphere. This place is a gem, you will be well treated and well rested for your Chicago experiences.

Room Tip: I would recommend that you ask for a room away from the elevators because of the traffic of all the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gem0607

Thank you for taking the time to share such a thoughtful review. We’re overjoyed to receive such a kind recommendation—especially from a frequent guest! I’m happy to hear you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and found it convenient to both your business and leisure needs! I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our recently enhanced complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also pleased to hear you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception and mingle with the other guests! Your flattering recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Good hospitatlity and very clean and great for business trips, i would recommend this hotel to any leisure and business traveller. The best part is the coupons you receive for 2 free cocktails at the Raviolli bar situated in the hotel. The bar has a nice atmosphere and you get to have a causal drink, very relaxed.

Room Tip: I've stayed here twice and all the rooms have been great.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the rave review! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m happy to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception and take advantage of our newly extended hours, from 5-8pm. We truly appreciate your 5-star recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel is one of the best I've stayed at. The staff is helpful and friendly. The rooms are quiet. The location is perfect as it is near many of the local attractions like the Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park, Museum Park and a variety of restaurants. The complimentary continental breakfast provided on each floor makes it easy to get coffee or something to eat while others in your room such as your kids are still getting ready. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel and plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view so if that matters to you, you may want to check on it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! I’m pleased to know you enjoyed our recently enhanced complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and walk to all the nearby sites like the Magnificent Mile and Millennium Park. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I loved this hotel! Check in was a breeze, and we were very pleased with our room. It was modern and clean, and as the airline had lost my luggage, I appreciated the Aveda toiletries! The room also had a large bar fridge, which was handy for keeping some cold drinks during the Chicago summer.
The extras are what makes the Amalfi so great. Free evening cocktails with anti pasto snacks were lovely in the bar, which had a great atmosphere. The breakfast was also very generous. Placed in the elevator foyer on each floor, there is a great choice of fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries, bagels, bread for toast, etc etc, plus bottles of juice. On top of all this is cookies and lemonade in the afternoons. Awesome!
All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. It was always nice returning after a day of sightseeing or shopping (we stayed 6 nights).
It is also a fantastic location. It's a 5 minute walk to Macys or Nordstrom and loads of other great shopping. It is also surrounded by dozens if great restaurants and bars, with all types of cuisine and all price levels. We walked everywhere, in using the Art Institute, Willis Tower and most other Chicago attractions. It's only a 3 minute walk to the train station, which we used to get to Wrigley Field.
I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chicago for business or pleasure. Great location, great staff, great value!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

What a flattering review! We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m pleased you found our rooms to your liking and appreciated the in-room amenities like the Aveda spa products and honor bar. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the newly enhanced selection of breakfast items. I’m further pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our complimentary evening cocktail reception and enjoyed the selection of Italian-inspired hors d’oeuvres. And I’m pleased that you were able to walk to all the nearby sites like the Art Institute and Willis Tower. Our location in the downtown River North district puts us in the center of all Chicago has to offer and I’m delighted you were able to take advantage of it. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!