“Great Location and comfortable accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Location and comfortable accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2008

My husband and I spent our anniversary in Chicago and stayed at the Amalfi Hotel. We had a FABULOUS experience. We loved the views from our room. It was also nice that they had breakfast on every floor so you didn't have to venture far to get a croissant and juice...we would throw on our robes that were provided in our room and would walk down the hall to grab breakfast.
The location of the hotel is great as well. We were within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile and the theater district. Anything further is just a cab ride away, which the hotel would gladly arrange for you if you asked.
We will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — location, comfortable room, breakfast on every floor
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EVMartinez2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jupiter FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

It didn't start out well when our town car pulled up to the Amalfi. Our driver jumped out to unload our bags, but the doorman just stood at his post as if he didn't see us. Not exactly a four star welcome. We brought our own bags inside (tiny lobby, nice, modern but not somewhere yoou would want to relax after a long trip) The bell boy quickly taged and stored our bags and the front desk staff was nice and helpful. We were early and no rooms were read. No problem I said but please do your best to try to get us a nice one, we'd rather wait than be looking at an air shaft.
Got a call during our lunch and we were offered an upgrade to a suite, not 2 beds as we had hoped for, but a suite. It was Beautiful. Curved windows, great space. Thanks!
Really a nice comfortable small hotel, great continental breakfast in the morning, clean rooms and perfectly located. Only lacked a heater in the bathroom.
I was surprised that no one had mentioned the construction acroos the street when I researched the hotel, but there was no real disturbance from it!
The staff was not the most welcoming and friendly I have encountered in Chicago, and I always felt they were lacking adult supervision, but the service was professional.
There are lots of choices for nice hotels downtown and I think The Amalfi deserves consideration.

• Liked — Great design and space
  • Disliked — Door man, lack of joy in the staff's attitude
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank CTandFLGuy
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2008

The Amalfi is a fabulous, hip boutique hotel in a happening part of the city. The rooms are chic and extremely comfortable. A wonderful touch is the free continental breakfast that's provided every morning--each floor has its own array of fruit, cereals, pastries, juices, and coffee. My husband and I really liked being able to bring our breakfast back to our room and climb back into bed to enjoy it. This isn't the best hotel for families, but if you're a single or a couple and like sophisticated pleasures with a reasonable price tag, the Amalfi Hotel is a terrific choice.

• Liked — Amazing room at a great price
  • Disliked — No restaurant or bar onsite
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rogamil
Donegal, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2008

If you looking for a nice clean central hotel - this is an excellent choice. House Keeping was great and staff were very helpful.

• Liked — Cleaness & Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

The Amafli was a pretty hassle-free stay. The location was great, lots of nice restaurants nearby. The rooms were comfortable, soft bed, lots of pillows. Aveda products (shampoo, contitioner, bar and liquid bosdy soap). The towels were pretty rough, though. Magazines were laid out on the desk and changed weekly. The day before checkout we found that the alarm clock had been upgraded to an IPod-compatible model ( I had remarked to my husband the day before that I needed to remember to bring my IPod adapter for future trips and, voila!) The view was pretty nice, but my dh went crazy - you look right across to Marina City, two apartment towers that look like corn cobs. These buildings were featured on the cover of Wilco's album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Nice stay, no fuss, good location

Stayed May 2008
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

I just recently stayed at the Amalfi Hotel in Chicago for a short personal/business trip. My boyfriend and I stayed there the weekend before I had a conference for work and then I stayed 3 days there by myself. My boyfriend and I both agreed one really good thing about this hotel is that it is in a really good location. Most everything is within walking distance with the exception of the main tourist attractions (museums, navy pier, aquarium, etc). To see those we had to take about an $8 taxi ride.
The hotel staff was nice...not over the top accomadating, but nice. The entire hotel has a modern feel to it. The rooms are really nice, clean and simply decorated. The bathroom is a good size with lots of counter space (which is important to a woman...at least me). I have to say, I travel quite a bit for business and normally have a hard time sleeping, but the beds there are very comfortable.
One thing that bothered me about the hotel was their room service...they technically don't have any. There is a restaurant next door called "Harry Carry's" which they order room service from. You place your order with room service in the hotel, they place the order with Harry Carry's, and bring it back to you. I ordered room service both nights I was here alone and the food was marginal if that. My food arrived luke warm (if that), it arrived late (they quoted me 30 min...took almost an hour), and the dinner rolls were hard as rocks (both nights). On top of all that it was very expensive...over $30 for a plate of spaghetti, a salad and glass of water. If room service isn't important to you...I reccomend staying here. Overall pleasurable experience. Tip- Visit "Rockit bar and grille" right down the street. They have really good food, cool/young atmosphere, and a cool after dinner lounge upstairs.

• Liked — The comfy beds, excellent location, good bathroom, cleanliness, free wi-fi
  • Disliked — The room service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Jmparson
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

We stayed in Amalfi Hotel between 20-25.April. The room was nice and clean, the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was spacious. The hotel's location is very close to nice restaurants: my favorites are Shaw's Crabhouse for fresh seafood, Frontera Grill for Mexican and Weber Grill for a delicious BBQ...
The only thing that I didn't like is the breakfast buffet, not too many choices and the buffet is not served in the breakfast room: you have to take your breakfast and go eat in another room..! However the afternoon snacks and complimentary drinks are wonderful: After a long day of shopping and visiting touristic places it is nice to have something ready when you go back to the hotel!!! :))

Stayed April 2008