“Great location and service.”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Banning, California
“Great location and service.”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Perfect location if you want to stay in downtown Chicago. We walked to Navy Pier, The Willis Tower (formerly The Sears Tower) to go the the Skydeck, the Art Institute and other nearby places. The Field Museum was a short cab ride away. Plenty of good restaurants nearby.

The hotel put out a nice breakfast on every floor every morning and had a cocktail party each night. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your kind comments! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m pleased you found our central downtown location convenient and were able to walk to all the nearby sites—like Navy Pier, the Skydeck and the Art Institute! I’m also happy you appreciated our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our evening cocktail reception. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I looked at a lot of hotels before going to Chicago and I'm really happy I chose the Amalfi.

The pros: friendly and helpful staff, nice quiet room (with a big bathroom and, if I craned my neck, a view of the Tribune Tower), good continental breakfast on every floor (included), really nice Italian antipasto buffet and 2 free cocktails per person nightly (included), free WiFi and a GREAT location. You're close to lots of restaurants and the Magnificent Mile and you're right at the foot of the State Street Bridge to reach all the sights in the Loop (architecture tours, museums, parks).

The cons: Can't think of any!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank voyageur08
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
What a flattering review! We’re thrilled you chose to stay with us for your first Chicago visit and that your stay was an enjoyable one! I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast as well as our evening cocktail reception. I’m also happy you appreciated our complimentary WiFi—which we’re pleased to announce received an extensive upgrade earlier this year! I’m further delighted to know you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and walk to all the nearby sites like the Magnificent Mile and the Loop. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Spent 3 nights at Amalfi and had a superb experience. The staff was not overly friendly, but the rooms were excellent. The location was also nice - very centrally located and just minutes away from nice restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for the lovely review! We’re happy to hear you had an “excellent experience” with us. I’m pleased you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of the many great restaurants around us. I’m further pleased to receive such kind comments about our team as well! We truly appreciate your kind recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Oleiros, Spain
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Great base from which to visit Chicago, the hotel is very nice and clean. The breakfast consists of several buffet tables prepared on each floor so that you can just get out of bed grab something and go back, you can also visit several floors for variety. Overall a very good experience. Also had very helpfull staff, our luggage arrived late from the airport & the receptionist team could not have been more helpfull

Stayed June 2012
Thank you for the kind comments! We’re pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m especially pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our front office team and to hear they were so helpful. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the wide variety of items available. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This place is great. Front desk staff VERY friendly and accommodating. theey ahve a continental breakfast each morning on every floor. They have a hospitality bar with free drink coupons from 5 - 8. The rooms are spacious and immaculate.I really like the Amalfi...it's WAY better than the Hyatt on Wacker. GREAT Popular bar on the corner. I've stayed here before and was very happy they have vacancies. Great location too. Not sure what else to say other than...they just get everything right!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your Amalfi experience with the TripAdvisor community! We’re delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m pleased to receive such kind comments about our front office team and will be sure to pass your feedback along. I’m also happy to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m further pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

St Joseph
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My Girlfriend and I had a couple days off and wanted to take a trip to the city and after shopping around by price and quality I ended up booking a last minute trip to Amalfi. I had never stayed or even heard of the brand but took a chance.

Upon arriving the thing that stood our the most was the Fedora hats that the male staff wore, It suited the decor and feel of Amalfi perfectly and was something that could be cheesy if not done right but I loved them. The lobby was very modern and made great use of the space, check in was extremely easy and very personal. Our "Experience Designer" also had great suggestions for dinner. The only part i found off was how they just kind of thrust 2 bottles of water at you saying they are complimentary etc. I declined them and went up to the room where they had more water for 5$ a bottle. I would be nicer if there were 2 bottles in the room .

The Room was very nice, modern, well kept. The bed was extremely comfortable, Cd's were provided in the room for light music and Dvd rentals were complimentary if we were just looking to relax. The directory was also very helpful to learn a bit about what's in the area. The 2 things i feel that could be improved on is the A/C was alright but it only went down to i think 70 and the room could have used a walk in shower more than the shower/tub.

Breakfast and Cocktails were included as well, both tastefully done and relaxing. Breakfast is set up on each floor as a help yourself via the tray in the room, a very light healthy breakfast or start to the day. The cocktails and appetizers in their lounge is great for socializing and for the winding down at the end up of the day.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay and will probably be back, next time I may book a suite and see how that is.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CptFillion
Many thanks for the glowing review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our front office team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to know we came through on that promise. I’m happy to hear you found your room to your liking, and appreciated the Italian-inspired décor there as well as in our lobby. Our HVAC system does go lower than 70 and I apologize if the instructions didn’t clearly indicate that. I’ll be following up with our Engineering Team to ensure that it is communicated in a clearer fashion. I’m also pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. I agree our evening reception is a great way to unwind at the end of a busy day! Your gracious recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriend back for another weekend getaway soon!

ottawa
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently spent a long weekend at the Amalfi with my daughter for a special occasion. The lovely and incredibly convenient breakfast on your own floor each morning, the excellent 3 hour cocktail reception each day, free wifi and free local calls in a charming, extremely well situated hotel - makes this hotel hard to beat. Service is exceptional (aside from very friendly and helpful front staff, we came back to our room the first night to find a beautiful bottle of wine and two glasses awaiting us for a special birthday - in addition, a key left behind resulted in numerous calls from Erika from Customer Service who helped to retrieve it and who was a great pleasure to deal with). We did get a very good rate from Travelzoo ($139/night) but as long as this hotel continues to provide reasonable rates - this will be our "go to" hotel for our trips to Chicago. We loved it, have recommended it to others, and look forward to returning to the great city of Chicago and to this fabulous hotel. There's a reason the Amalfi receives so many good reviews - they are very well deserved.

Room Tip: We asked for a higher floor -stayed on the 6th across from a meeting room. Unfortunately the attend...