“Great location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Great location”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just stayed here 3 nights for a wedding, the hotel itself is in a great location its a little weird when u walkin however theres not really a checkin desk more an office feel with a few desks where you sit at to checkin. HOtel is in a great location u can be walking on michigan ave in 10min and basically anywhere within 15min thats touristy. Good place for drinks that was always hopping was next to the hotel called public house, always was packed everynight i walked by. Free liquor from 5-8 on the 6th floor in ravello lounge and not crappy drinks either, u get 2 per person per day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve Z
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re overjoyed to receive such positive guest feedback. I’m happy to know you enjoyed our central location in the downtown River North district and were able to walk to all the nearby sites, like Michigan Avenue! I’m also happy you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception and appreciated the two complimentary drinks each evening. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again!

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oak Park
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The BEST location. Close to Magnificent Mile. Close to the loop, museums, etc. if you don't care about views, then save the money and stay here!

Staff VERY friendly. Rooms nice. Gym great. Continently breakfast on each floor. So convenient! Free drinks at night?!!

Amazing value for the city!!!!

Room Tip: No views so don't spend any money to upgrade
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie M
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you kindly for the lovely review! We’re delighted to receive such positive guest feedback. I’m pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and visit all the nearby sites, like the Magnificent Mile and the Loop. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I apologize if the view was not to your liking. We do feature rooms with great city views that include nearby architectural landmarks like the IBM Plaza Building and the Marina City towers. We appreciate you taking the time to share your 5-star recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Chatham, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is a great hotel! From the time we checked in until we left, staff went out of their way to ensure we were made to feel like our patronage was important to them. Free continental breakfast is supplied on every floor (toast, bagels, cereal, cheese sticks, fresh fruit, yogurt, doughnuts, juices and coffee). Coffee wasnt the best but Einsteins on the corner almost next door has excellent coffee. At happy hour, each guest is given two tickets for free drinks (wine, liquor, beer, etc). There is also a snack bar with various cheeses, salamis and veggies very well presented. Beds are extremely comfortable and our request for a walk in shower was accommodated with no problem. Large towels and Aveda products were also provided. Two very good restaurants, Keefer's and Harry Caray's, are next door and immediately across the street. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the kind comments about our hotel. We’re pleased to know your stay with us was an enjoyable one. I’m especially pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m also pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception and appreciated the wide variety of items to snack on. I’m further delighted to hear you appreciated our in-room amenities, like our Aveda spa products and brand new oversized towels. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Maur, Switzerland
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The location is unbeatable. The neighborhood has it all. Countless really good restaurants, shopping possibilities with the Magnificent Mile and StateStreet just around the corner, theaters and clubs in walking distance, the river walk about 4 minutes away, a 10 minute walk to Millennium Park ….

The hotel was perfect for my needs.
Check-in was very friendly, easy, fast and everything was explained.
The room was nice, big enough and above all: quiet. It is amazing how quiet it is.
Wifi is free and the password is given right with check-in.
The concept of the breakfast being “served” on all levels and being taken to one’s room is unusual – I quite liked it. The breakfast is pretty rich. They offer fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal and a variety of pastries plus fruit juice.
Happy hour didn’t do it for me. I was there only once. The Ravello Lounge where happy hour takes place has no atmosphere and they don’t really have a good choice of non-alcoholic drinks.
The fitness center is really nice and big enough (my experience with fitness centers is different: small rooms with little equipment being squeezed in – so I was really positively surprised about the one in Amalfi).
Also a surprise was the coffee machine in the room – even though I have to say: the coffee is just the same as the one for breakfast. I was hoping for a Nespresso kind of coffee. Oh well. You can’t have it all.

I would definitely choose Amalfi again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Many thanks for the thoughtful review. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m happy you liked our downtown location in the vibrant River North district, with our close proximity to the Magnificent Mile and State Street. I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and 24-hour fitness center. I apologize the selection of non-alcoholic beverages was not to your liking; I appreciate the feedback and have passed it along to our Food and Beverage manager. I’m also pleased to hear you appreciated our complimentary WiFi, which received an extensive upgrade in the beginning of 2013. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Goshen
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. We go to Chicago several times a year and have stayed in lots of different hotels. The Amalfi was so close to everything we like to do. The room was very nice, comfy bed lots of pillows. Big, big towels and nice shower. There was a dvd player and a refrigerator as well. Friendly staff and complimentary breakfast on all the floors. They even have a little tray in your room to go get your breakfast with. It's just lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the TripAdvisor community. We’re thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us at the Amalfi! I’m pleased you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and enjoy all that Chicago has to offer. I’m further pleased to know you appreciated our in-room amenities, like our new oversized, fluffy towels and DVD player. We’re pleased to let you know we’ve made other exciting improvements to our complimentary in-room amenities—including a new cable package with additional channels and upgraded WiFi. I’m also happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the in-room trays to help you gather your breakfast—another new improvement to our hotel. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My colleagues and I have to travel to Chicago several times a year and we have tried several of the hotels in the downtown Chicago area, both large chain and boutique. The Amalfi is our favorite by far. The rooms are always very nice, roomy and very comfortable. Also, immaculate. The staff are always friendly, helpful and know what they are doing. I happened to be in the lobby when I commented to a colleague that I was late because I had a hard time getting my hair to dry with the hotel supplied dryer. When I returned later that day, there was a different hair dryer in my bathroom. One of the staff must have overheard, figured out who I was and made sure I received a higher powered dryer. That is some service! The complimentary continental breakfast is nice. Nothing spectacular, what you would expect, such as fruit, muffins, bagels, cereal, etc. The best part is that it is served in the lobby of each floor so you just take the complimentary wooden tray down, load up what you want and then eat in the comfort of your room. You don't even have to get out of your jammies. There is also a complimentary cocktail hour each evening with antipasto and beer/wine/cocktails. Its always a nice place to meet when getting ready to go out on the town. The hotel caters to business travelers, but couples and groups are also welcome. Not a lot of little kids running around banging doors and making a lot of noise, which is very nice for those of us on work related trips. The gym is also very nice given that this is a smaller hotel. Better than some I've seen at larger, more expensive places. My colleagues and I usually ask to go there first, even if a cheaper deal is available at another place. However, the prices at Amalfi are normally very competitive for the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Martha M
Thank you for the glowing review! We’re flattered to be your “favorite hotel” in Chicago and honored to receive such high praise from a seasoned traveler like yourself. I’m delighted to receive such positive feedback about our front office team and will be sure to pass along your kind comments regarding the high-powered hair dryer. I’m also happy to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, conveniently served on each floor so you can even enjoy it in the comfort of your pajamas. I’m further pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception—I agree it’s a great place to meet and mingle with other guests. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share such a thoughtful review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed April 30, 2013

stayed here with my husband for our anniversary! they were able to allow us an early check in. they have a nice continental breakfast on every floor of the hotel. it has fruit, yogurt, danishes, some doughnuts, juice and coffee. perfect for a quick bite before you head out for the day. they also have a wonderful manager's reception in the evening. we were given some tickets for free drinks and they had some yummy cold cuts and veggies to munch on while enjoying your drink. the room was very nice. no issues at all. The hotel staff has to have the friendliest staff in town. i would stay here again without any hesitation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly for the 5-star recommendation! We’re thrilled to hear you and your husband chose to celebrate your anniversary with us. We’re especially pleased to receive such kind feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s always a pleasure to know we came through on that promise. I’m delighted you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. I’m further happy to know you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception and enjoyed the wide variety of tasty hors d’oeuvres. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to celebrate your next anniversary—if not sooner!