“excellent service, great location, exceptional hotel!”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 1, 2013

stayed 2 nights in late march at the Amalfi hotel. We booked a room with one king sized bed on Orbitz and was able to get quite a good price. We arrived into Chicago earlier than expected, and went right to the hotel to see if we could check in. The check in process was very easy and the girl that checked us in was very friendly and helpful. It was 10 am chicago time (an hour behind our time) and we were able to get right into our room. We had arranged parking thru spothero, becuase this was considerable cheaper than parking at the hotel. (40.00 for 48 hours, as opposed to 47.00 daily at the hotel). We were able to park in front of the hotel long enough to check in and unload our car. The bellman watched our luggage while we took our car a block away to the parking garage. The ONLY slight disadvantage with the parking garage is after we got there, we were told that this garage did NOT have in and out privledges, and I was thinking they did. (my mistake as I did not read close enough, it does state on the website that they do NOT). This did not prove to be a problem as we walked or took the CTA every where we went. The walk between the parking garage and the hotel was less than a block. The bellman assisted us to our room with our luggage. The room was a nice big corner room on the 4th floor. Upon entering the room, there is a long hallway that you go down and then turn to enter the room (this is really just wasted space, but made the room seem more like an apartment). You then turn and go down another hallway. The bathroom is located behind the first door, and the next door is a large closet with a full length mirror attached on the inside of the door. You go a little further and you enter the sleeping area of the room. Becuase this was a corner room, the entire wall of hallway leading into the room is all knee to celiing windows the entire length. The windows continue around the corner of the sleeping room and cover the entire other wall. So in essence, the only walls in the sleeping portion that are NOT windows is the one wall behind the bed, and the wall between the sleeping area and the bathroom. There are floor to celing curtains that can be opened all the way to have full exposure to all the windows, or can be covered with just a sheer curtain or with a light blocking curtain. This was very nice. The only problem is the biggest section of windows (those going all the way down the hall and across the sleeping room) was a view of a 6 story brick wall building just 5 feet away from the window, so no view, but it did let in all the natural light without the city lights/street lights so these windows could be kept opened all night if you wanted and still have total privacy. The far wall of windows provided limited views of state street and Kinzie street, but no real interesting views.
The hotel provides a free reception on the 6th floor every night and you are given 2 free drink tickets for each person over 21 for each night of the stay. This was a very nice thing. The food was a collection of chips, salsa, hummus, pita bread, cheese tray, veggie tray and dips. The drinks were from a full bar with no restrictions and soda was free.
The hotel also provided a free breakfast each morning that is served on each floor. They provide a wooden tray in the room to carry the food back and also 2 robes. The breakfast items included toast, muffins,donuts, pastries, cereal, fruit, string cheese, yogurt, coffee, tea, oj, milk, and cranberry juice.
The room incudes a DVD player and a CD player and both DVD's and CD's are available to "rent" free of charge (only charge is if you DONT return them) and had a good colleciton of dvd's. (didnt check out any cd's). Free wi-fi is provided in the room and there is a business center with 4 or 5 computers or printers for free of charge. The alarm clock is an ipod docking station as well.
we loved the room and the stay. The ONLY problem we had was becuase this was a large room and a corner room, the bathroom never warmed up (becuase it was so far from the sleeping area). So when you got out of the shower, it was a little cold. Only way around this would be a space heater or a heat lamp, due to the room design.

Room Tip: book parking at nearby garage to save money on parking thru spothero. Put in hotel's address an...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful review! We’re pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m happy you found our corner king room to your liking, as well as our in-room amenities like our DVD players and iHome docking stations. I do apologize about the temperature issues you experienced in the bathroom. I’m reviewing your feedback with our Engineering department so we may resolve this issue and ensure it’s not a problem for future guests. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the selection as well as the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m further happy to know you were able to take advantage of evening cocktail reception as well. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

There are newer reviews for Kinzie Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Super location. Very very central. Good size room (stayed in 607 which is the top floor). Large bathroom with tub. Good gym (7-8 treadmills, bikes, cross trainers and also weights etc). No restaurant but a very strange system with breakfast being made available at the elevators on each floor (rolls, yoghurt, juice, fruits, cereal etc.) Seemed to work though. Haray Carays across the street has excellent steaks and there are loads of clubs, restaurants etc very close by. House of Soul has a Gospel Brunch which we unfortunately missed, but supposedly is great food and lots of fun. We were there on St. Patrick's day and they have a large room on the 6th floor, where you can hang out, in which they had a bar. I stayed very close to that room and was not bothered at all despite it being packed with people on that day. All in all, very good rooms, very good location and a very good price considering this. I will most likely return.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lars G
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

What a thoughtful review! I’m pleased to know you enjoyed your St. Patrick’s day stay with us and found our rooms to your liking. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary 24-hour fitness center and appreciated the wide equipment selection. As you mentioned, our location in the downtown River North district puts in the heart of the city’s nightlife and I’m happy you were able to take advantage of all the surrounding restaurants and bars! Thank you again for the kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We took our kids to Chicago for spring break weekend. I was looking for a place close to the Magnificent Mile, but not too expensive. I did a lot of research to find the best place and decided on the Amalfi Hotel. We were very happy with our choice. The entire staff really was super friendly. They remembered who we were and when we had a request they took care of it quickly. We had a room with a king bed. It wasn't that big of a room, but we weren't spending that much time inside anyways. Very comfortable bed. Bathroom was very nice and clean. Free continental breakfast on every floor, which was great because we could walk over in our pajamas to get it and eat in our room. Usually consisted of cereal, yogurt, fruit, donuts, bagels and drinks. We got vouchers for 2 free drinks each night at the managers reception. The room was pretty small and it can get crowded in there so we got our drinks and took them back to our room. Kids also get free juice/soda. We got a room on the fifth floor so the traffic noise never bothered us. Free WiFi was a bonus. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: I recommend trying to get a room on a higher floor so traffic noise won't be an issue.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you and your family enjoyed your spring break getaway with us. I’m especially pleased to receive such positive feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we delivered on that promise. I’m pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also happy to hear you were able to enjoy our nightly manager’s reception as well. Thank you again for the glowing review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife had never been to Chicago and wanted to see some sights and do some shopping on the "magnificent mile" on a recommendation of one of her friends. The hotel is 2 blocks from "the mile" separated by Trump Tower. My wife found the Amalfi online with excellent pricing and reviews. Included was a continental breakfast and 2 drinks with finger food available from 5 to 8 pm. The hotel was clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly and attentive. No real complaints although the tv had a mind of its own at times. Possibly the only thing I would say could be updated. If going to hockey or basketball at the United Centre it is a $12 cab ride away. Numerous restaurants all a short walk available. Would recommend friends to stay there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review! We’re pleased to hear you and your wife enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and walk to the nearby Magnificent Mile. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast as well as our evening cocktail reception. I apologize for the TV issues you experienced; I will be reaching out to you directly for more information in order to rectify that immediately. We truly appreciate your warm recommendation and look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to Chicago very soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

At the Amalfi for a conference last week.
The hotel staff was very friendly and committed to excellent service.
The room was standard. Clean and comfortable as expected in this price range.
The morning breakfast was fair at best. Typical plastic wrapped continental donuts, bagels, pastries...
Each evening was a complimentary cocktail hour that was nice.
Each afternoon there was coffee and cookies included in the price of your room in the lobby.
The fitness center is small but clean and well equipped.
Free wifi too.
The location is good sitting on the north edge of the loop and southern edge of the michigan avenue shopping district.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the TripAdvisor community. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our evening cocktail reception, afternoon cookies and WiFi. I’m also pleased to receive such positive feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest of level of service and I’m pleased that you observed and experienced that commitment. Thank you again for the kind comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at the Amalfi on March 25 - 27th. The hotel is beautiful, with large, clean, very comfortable rooms and big bathrooms. The service is excellent. Staff are friendly, warm and very helpful. There are free cocktails and finger foods in the evenings. Great location - walking distance to everywhere. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary M
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our evening cocktail reception and appreciated the complimentary cocktails and Italian-inspired hor d’oeuvres. I’m also pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and walk to all the nearby sites! We truly appreciate your warm recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed there while on a business trip to Chicago and my wife and I could not be happier. The rate was good, the room was first rate and the service people were wonderful. Everybody was cheerful and helpful. They had free WiFi. They had a free reception each evening with drinks and food that was as good as any other I have had with business receptions. They had a free breakfast every morning with good food, fresh fruit excellent baked goods.

The only downside is the rooms do not have a view, but unless you are only interested in the view, I would rate it as one of the best hotels I have stayed in Chicago (I am only comparing it to the Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott class hotels).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris33043
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Many thanks for the thoughtful review! We’re delighted to hear yours and your wife’s first stay was an enjoyable one. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and I’m happy to know we delivered on that promise! I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our evening cocktail reception and our deluxe continental breakfast. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your glowing review with the TripAdvisor community. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back very soon!