“Nice Boutique Hotel in the Heart of Downtown”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #22 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Amalfi is just a five minute walk away from the Blue Line, and centrally located in Downtown Chicago, which makes using the public transit a cinch. If the weather's nice enough, it's also easy to walk almost anywhere to find entertainment, food, or museums that are very close by.

The hotel itself is nice; adequately large rooms, comfortable beds and I was surprised to find we had a mini fridge (which is always a perk). The reception desk was friendly and helpful, and overall we had no problems staying. The front door was also well-attended. One note: we did get a room that others have complained "looks out on a brick wall" which is really the side of another building. So no, our view wasn't ideal, but who honestly looks at the view for more than five minutes of their stay, anyway? It really didn't detract much from the room's coziness.

The continental breakfast isn't lavish, but it definitely helped cut out having to find breakfast each morning! Lots of cereal, bagels, donuts and pastries, fruit, yogurt ect. We didn't go up to the fifth floor for cocktails since we were usually out when they were serving them, so I can't comment on that. But the experience overall was great!

1  Thank Zantastic
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for your lovely feedback! We’re delighted to hear you had such a pleasant stay with us. I’m happy our central downtown location was to your liking, especially our close proximity to the Clark/Lake El stop, as you so helpfully mentioned! I’m further pleased you enjoyed the room and in-room amenities, like the mini-fridge, as well. I’m happy you were able to enjoy our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast—hopefully next time you’ll be able to join us in the evening for our complimentary cocktail reception! Thank you again for taking the time to share your Amalfi experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Staff was very friendly, nice room, excellent continental breakfast (on each floor so late comers like us still had a nice selection). We had some problems with the Wi-if connection but would definitely stay here again. The location was fabulous!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Woo00
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We’re pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our central location in downtown Chicago to your liking. I’m sorry that you experienced problems with our WiFi connection. I’m glad to report we’re in the process of upgrading our WiFi system. At this moment, we are completing the final stages of this project which includes a bandwidth increase and additional access points to strengthen the signal in the hotel. We expect the upgrade to be completed in the next couple weeks and I’m sure on your next visit, you’ll find our WiFi has significantly improved! Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We came to explore the city and stumbled upon the amalfi. Lucky us! Once inside the eclectic surroundings were not only inviting but extremely clean. The staff was amazing. Our best experience was our very last night when the door man overheard me upset over the fact that I thought then pizza by the slice place around the corner was closed. He told us to stand by after he vale parked our car and ran off to see if the place was open. Thank you Raji.!! Because of service like his we will be back for our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay after stumbling upon us on your recent visit to Chicago! I’m especially pleased to receive such positive guest feedback about our front office team—Rafi, in particular. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and I’m delighted to know we came through on that promise! We’re truly flattered by your warm recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had never heard of Amalfi before. My wife and I were looking for a nice little getaway close to the Magnificent Mile and we were pleasantly surprised by Amalfi. The rate was reasonable considering it includes a nice continental breakfast ON EACH FLOOR! It also includes a Manager's reception every night with great free cocktails and appetizers. The only thing that suprised us, and it wasn't a bad thing, was how small the lobby is and the fact that even though the hotel is in a huge building - the hotel itself is only the first six floors. The hotel doesn't have a pool, but we didn't need one this time. The location is about a ten minute walk from Michigan Avenue. Plus, there is a great restaurant right next door.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you kindly for the thoughtful review. We’re pleased to hear you and your wife enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m delighted to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and that you especially appreciated the convenience of it on each floor. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. As you mentioned, we’re centrally located in downtown Chicago—just a quick walk to Michigan Avenue and the Magnificent Mile! Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

What a very pleasant surprise. I have become so accustomed to staying at the large chains in the USA when travelling for business. But at someone's recommendation I decided to try this boutique hotel.
The rooms were beautiful and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is also great. So close to so much action on foot. And it didnt hurt that the cost per night was below that of the big chains.

A bonus was definitely their "happy" hour. I was treated to cocktails and hors d'oevres every day.

I will definitely return to Chicago, only this time with my wife for a romantic getwaway and will definitely stay at the Amalfi.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your Amalfi experience! We’re delighted to know how much you enjoyed your first stay with us! I’m pleased to know you were able to indulge and enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception every evening. I’m further pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our downtown location in the vibrant River North district, surrounded by all the “action” as you aptly put it! Your gracious recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife upon your next stay with us in Chicago!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My friend and I went to Chicago to do some Christmas shopping. I have stayed at this hotel previously and knew what to expect. The rooms are pretty big for being in a big city and the bathroom gives plenty of counter space. The check-in was very easy and the staff are extremely helpful and nice. We called the information desk to ask for more towels and pillows and they were delivered to our room within a few mins. I like how the staff was always ready to greet you when you came in from a long day of shopping or sight seeing. The best part of the hotel is the complimentary breakfast on every floor!!! They have a selection of so many breakfast foods such as bagels, donuts, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, milk, orange juice etc.
The location of the hotel is perfect as it's near Michigan Ave. for shopping and restaurants. It is not a far walk from some nice stores on State St. as well.
We will be staying at this hotel again when we return to Chicago!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you kindly for the lovely review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our front office team! I’m pleased to hear we were able to accommodate you and your friend with any requests and made you feel welcome upon entering the hotel. I’m further pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and found the wide variety of options to your liking! And I’m especially happy that you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and walk to all the nearby shopping like Michigan Avenue and State Street! Thank you again for the glowing review. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next shopping adventure!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

A very clean hotel; excellent customer service and great location. The daily breakfast included is all you need to start your day and is so convenient to be located on each floor. The complimentary cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the Ravello Lounge were very well received. Nice way to mingle and meet new people. (The "Amalfitini's" and Peroni Beer were a nice touch.) Great weekend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

What a thoughtful review! I’m delighted you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also happy you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception and enjoyed our signature Amalfinti cocktail. I agree it’s a great way to mix and mingle with other guests! Your gracious recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!