“Unpretentious, boutique experience.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore
“Unpretentious, boutique experience.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We are just ending our one week stay at the Amalfi Hotel in my favorite part of town, the versatile RiverNorth area. The hotel is sleek, and clean with all the services you need, but with a friendliness that makes you feel welcomed instead of that "are you sure you are good enough to stay at our hotel" kind of feeling that you can get at very high end boutique places. Best of all, the room charges are very reasonable for the area.

How they cut corners is on things you don't really miss. They don't have a sundry shop, but there are probably three 7-11s within a block of the hotel. They don't have their own restaurant, but there are 10 in every surrounding block, all screaming out to you to come in and grab a table. And the terrific room service comes from Harry Carray's across the street. They don't have a pool which I might have missed in the summer. I didn't at 30 degrees in January.

No. It appears they have done their market research, and have chosen to focus on some key areas that make the Amalfi experience very enjoyable. They offer a substantial continental breakfast every morning, not in the lobby, but near the elevators on each floor. The guests come out in their PJs to grab coffee, yogurt, oatmeal, bagels, cheese sticks and fruit to enjoy back in their rooms. They also have a happy hour every evening. The valet parking has a price tag you can actually live with, and the front desk staff have great recommendations for restaurants and activities. Hallelujah, the wi-fi was included in the price of the room - no additional charge. I must say, however, that although it got the job done, the signal could have been stronger.

Overall, given the room quality, service, location, and value - the Amalfi is a great RiverNorth choice.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking the intersection of Kinzie and Dearborn. Noise was not a pro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank An_Huibi
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for the kind review! We’re delighted to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and I’m pleased to know we delivered on that promise. I’m especially pleased to know you found our location in the vibrant River North area to your liking. I’m further delighted to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast, WiFi and evening cocktail reception. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I just recently went for the New Year's weekend with my husband. We got a great winter deal on the hotel. It has a fabulous location right at the intersection of Kinzie and State street. It is on the smaller Kinzie street but very close to many restaurants and right between shopping on State and on Michigan.

The building itself is relatively small. The lobby is a tiny little thing. This wasn't a big deal because we usually never spend anytime in the lobby. It was attractively organized in a very modern hip way. The check in/out desks were a little weird. Instead of the usual counter most hotels have, it was literally 2-3 desks with seats on them. It felt weird at first. The check in/out counters also doubled as the concierge desk. Most of the bottom of the hotel is taken up by other not necessarily associated businesses like another restaurant. They were not accessible from the hotel lobby.

We stayed on the third floor. The view was of another building. This wasn't a big deal for us because the hotel had so many other great amenities. If a great view is a big deal for you though, Amalfi probably isn't your place. The room was medium sized. We had a king sized bed. They provided a mini fridge which was great in addition to in-room coffee maker. Also, they provided 2 robes and slippers to use which was awesome. On weekdays they provided newspapers to your room. On everyday, you could pick up a wall street journal from the concierge desk.

Every morning there was breakfast on every floor which was amazing. I loved being able to walk out of my room and get something. The options were generally the best very early in the morning but I did see them refill the food every few hours throughout the morning. There was juice, milk, coffees, and hot water for tea. There was also cereal, bagels, toast, english muffins, pastries, croissants, yogurt, fruit and string cheese.

Every evening, there is a complimentary happy hour reception on the 6th floor. It is in a little lounge room. The room gets rather crowded within 10-15minutes of happy hour starting. They had 2 beer options (miller and peroni) in addition to an open bar. They also had 2 "signature" cocktails - the amalfteeni and another drink that tasted like sangria. In addition, they had a spread of appetizers that looked like italian cold cuts of meat, cheese, crostini, crudites with dip. I usually didn't partake of the food because my husband and I usually went to dinner afterward.

There was free wifi which had the usual free wifi hang ups of being occasionally slow. My husband called downstairs and they reset the router which sped things up a bit. They had a gym which we did not use but they did not have a pool.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again next time I come to Chicago. The hotel is trying hard for a hip, young, contemporary look and feel and offers amazing amenities to make up for some of their deficiencies (like views).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to know you and your husband had such an enjoyable weekend stay with us! I’m pleased to know you enjoyed the selection our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast has to offer and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also happy to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception and enjoy our signature cocktails—the Amalfitini and the Sorrento Sunset. As you mentioned, our central location in the downtown River North area features plenty of restaurants surrounding us—including Keefer’s, located in our building. You can visit Keefer’s via our shared lobby which is easily accessed through a door by our elevators. I’m pleased to know you found our rooms and our in-room amenities to your liking as well. We do offer views of the downtown area and we encourage our guests to let us know of any special requests prior to arrival. Your gracious recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Room 212 is directly above a parking garage that buzzes and beeps like a garbage truck backing into your room, each time a car leaves the garage...which tends to be from 6 am to 9 am mostly...then all throughout the day. Don't let the staff fool you they will pretend this is the first time they know about this issue... They'll gladly hand you your room key to the most obnoxious room they have and laugh as you walk away. Valet and service staff were great, but management and the front desk clerk who assured me his manger would call me, should learn how to treat guests better.

If you want rest or to be able to sleep...or completes thought in your room.... U wouldn't recommend this poorly designed hotel that has the audacity to charge guests for a room sitting on top of the garage alarm.

Avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mi K
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. I’m very sorry about the unpleasant stay you recently experienced. We always encourage guests to alert of us any issues with their room so we may rectify the issue immediately and I’m sorry you dealt with the noise disturbance your entire stay. We have followed up with the garage management to work on the alert volume so it is not an issue for guests who stay in that area of the hotel in the future.

I’m especially sorry that neither I nor any of our managers followed up with you in a timely manner. We value all guest feedback, both positive and negative and have a policy of following up with all guests who fill out comment cards so I regret that yours somehow slipped through the cracks. I will follow up with our front office team to review all proper procedures so that future guest comments do not go unanswered.

I’m truly disappointed your first time with us was an unsatisfactory one. We would love a second chance with you to show our commitment to guest satisfaction and will be reaching out to you directly to discuss the situation further. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in February for a weekend visit to Chicago. The hotel was very clean and located in a great area of the city. The property offered great value with a free breakfast and cocktail hour. The rooms were a bit small and staff could be a bit more friendly/warm but overall I would return to this hotel as its good bang for the buck.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I’m pleased to know you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us last February and found our central location in the downtown River North district to your liking. I am disappointed our team did not live up to the high standards we set for ourselves. You’ll be pleased to know that our management team has been reviewing our customer service training and has made several changes. We hope to welcome you back soon so we can provide you with the Amalfi experience that we strive to deliver. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again this year!

Los Angeles
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I got a great deal from Jetsetter and was excited since it was advertised as a 4 star hotel. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it didn't feel like a 4 star. However, it was still a decent place to stay. It's in a great location; blocks away from Michigan Ave and the bed was quite comfortable. We were only there for a night so we didn't get to experience the breakfast and happy hour but we sure did want to try it. Maybe next time?

2 Thank cdm209
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I’m pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and visit all the nearby sites including Michigan Avenue. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you’ll be able to indulge and enjoy our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception! We truly appreciate your valuable feedback and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

DETROIT
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I don't even know the number I'm on of stays at the Amazing Hotel but it won't be my last in fact I'm thinking about returning again for my Pre-Birthday Celebration Good Friday Weekend. Everyone is so nice and the amenities are great. Like everyone has said the beds are so freaking comfortable, Manager's Reception is amazing (just get their on time) and the Continental Breakfast is just enough after a night in Chicago. I was kinda sad when I first arrived because I didn't see the usual Doormen but by the time I dropped my stuff off in the room and came back down I saw both of them and that made it like I just arrived at home. Location is great and they are opening a ton of new restaurants so you will definitely find something that will satisfy you. If you still don't know if you should book, just give it a chance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank APRILJ716
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and flattered to have your continued loyalty throughout the years. I’m especially pleased to receive such kind feedback about our front office team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service so it’s a pleasure to know that our team contributes to you feeling right at home when you stay with us I’m also pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our downtown location in the vibrant River North district—especially all the newly opened restaurants you mentioned. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the Spring!

Chicago
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 nite stay!! The Amalfi has nice modern decor and contemporary furniture. I like how the front desk is not one long desk, but 3 seperate ones so you feel like you are getting personal attention, and not just the next number in line. Very clean hotel, very comfy bed and pillows. And the shower!! Wow! Double headed shower which just melts away stress. We were sorry we took advantage of the happy hour once, but we were having too much fun the other nites. Amalfi has happy hour 5-7p with free alcoholic drinks and appetizers. There is also free continental breakfast on every floor in the morning by the elevators. Nothing to do cartwheels for, but good coffee, tea, bagels and muffins and fruit, enough to get you going in the morning. Staff was friendly and very helpful as well. Hotel was very close to downtown attractions like House of Blues and State street shopping. Michigan avenue is only a few blocks away too.

The hotel's room service food comes from Harry Carays restaurant acroos the street, which I hear is very good. The only thing we didnt like were the maids. They did a fine job cleaning, but didnt respect and/or understand the little sign on your door means DO NOT DISTURB! 3 times we left the sign on our door after we went out, and came back and the room was clean. Call me paranoid but I like to put my stuff away before people come in my room. On the last day we were sleep at 9a with the sign on the door, and she proceeded to come in for service anyway! Good think the lock was on the door. Besides that small thing we still enjoyed the Amalfi .Would love to stay again!

1 Thank cheapguy23
Thank you for the thoughtful review! I’m delighted you chose to spend your anniversary with us and to know it was an enjoyable one! I’m pleased to know you were able to enjoy and indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well as our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our Housekeeping Department; I will be contacting you directly for your room number so I may follow up with the department supervisor and ensure that this is a not an issue in the future. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for your next anniversary—if not sooner!