“Excellent, as always!”

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I have stayed at the Amalfi Hotel before and it has always been excellent. This time was no different. Usually I book direct with the hotel, however, I found a slightly better deal booking through Expedia, which saved about $100.

The staff were great. I arrived early and they had a room waiting. I was placed on the 6th (top) floor and it was quiet and comfortable. Overall, it was as good as it gets! I will definitely continue to stay here when I'm in Chicago.

Remember, the hotel is close to everything - downtown, the Magnificent Mile, lots of restaurants, etc. Everything is within walking distance!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,589)

Reviewed February 19, 2008

Stayed at the Amalfi hotel in Chicago this month with good expectations. And what a disappointment! Paid just under $200 for a "deluxe king", and what we got was a 2nd floor view of construction, a dirty, badly "rehabbed" bathroom, itchy sheets, no down comforter!! (just sheets and the gross old hotel blanket thing) , previously opened bottles in our mini bar, and plenty of rude, inexperienced staff members & managers (def. not a 3 or 4 star staffing!!) I do live in Chicago, and have stayed at a wide range of places. I know that for $200 in February, you can expect a great hotel. As there were many available the weekend we stayed at Amalfi, choosing it over say, the Palmer House Hilton, Hotel Sax, Sutton Place, Hotel 71, was a huge waste. Definitely keep looking and book elsewhere. Not worth the price at all, don't let their pictures fool you. Also, I wouldn't say that our experience was just a rare mishap, the hotel looks like an old Days Inn that had undergone a slight renvation, i.e., new lamps.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chicago1981
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel with other travelers. It is with deep regret to hear that your experience was less than satisfying during your visit to Chicago.
You will be happy to know that, because of guest feedback like yours, we have implemented a number of changes to improve our guests’ comfort and level of service. I reviewed your comments with our front desk staff, as well as our housekeeping department. We recently updated our updated bedding and each bed is complete with 315-thread count Egyptian cotton bedding and Premium Serta© Pillow Top Mattresses.

We thank you again for choosing our hotel and we offer our sincerest apologies for not performing to our usual standards throughout your stay.

Warm Regards,
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed February 19, 2008

The price was too good to be true. Truth came out as soon as we stepped in this place.
First of all,George,the rude guy at the front desk took an incredible long time to check us in. We liked that,after 5 hours flight from the west coast it has been a nice Chicago welcome,thank you Mr George.
The lobby was really weird,with a mixed array of colors,like orange,green,yellow..it felt like a Brasilian hotel. The only nice person seemed the bellman.

Rooms. We booked a non smoking room,but it seemed the room had 20 heavy smokers in there for 2 days and never had a window open for vent. Even the sheets stinked smoke...disgusting.
The mustard colored carpet was pretty worn and cigarette butt burned. A nice touch were the books and the room size,but it all appalled compared to the general feel of the room. And here we go again those weird colors.
The bed was very comfy,except for the conforter wich was made with a very cheap material that turned the bed into a hoven.

Maid service was really weird. They left every single day some water filled in the bathroom sink..what for ??? Weird.
And turndown service was only for one night....no need that...just skip it,don't do it for just one night....
The bathroom colors all added a feeling of dirty and worn,they need to replace those red/grey/yellow thing with a more traditional black/white/grey.

The breakfast on each floor was not bad,really.

Bottom line,if you look for a cheap place to stay then go for it ,but do not belive their overhyped self written reviews ( yes,they write their on reviews on Tripadvisor..and they know it )
It was cheap tho because of the low season. I really doubt seeing myself paying more than what'ive paid ( $ 129.00 per night ) for this joke.

And also go for it if you don't mind being trated like you are not cool or not hip or not whatever they stand for....

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank Andyvegas
Reviewed February 7, 2008

My fiance and I visited Chicago for a long weekend back in May. We stumbled upon the Amalfi online - the location was good, the price was in our budget, and I wanted to stay in a boutique hotel so we picked it. The room was spacious and the best part was the complimentary breakfast! Saved us time in the morning - we just grabbed a coffee, banana, and muffin and went sightseeing!

If I was going to visit Chicago again (which I would!) I would recommend staying here!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Canada_is_Home123
Reviewed February 7, 2008

My son had stayed here for a wedding or I might not ever have heard of it. Per his review we booked it with another couple for a getaway weekend and we were not disappointed. Check in was smooth, I loved having the magazines in the room. The complimentary cocktails and appitizers were a great touch also, as was the breakfast by the elevators. The coffee was delicious, nice bosc pears, and wonderful pastries. My only complaint was upon check out, there was a mini bar charge and $35 of long distance that we never used. These charges were removed immediately, but check your bill when you leave.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank nab074
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I already wrote a review about all the free stuff you get but now I'm going to write about the location! I like to walk. This place was close to EVERYTHING!!!! The 'Taste of Chicago' was on during the 4th of July. Let me tell you, this was the best 'taste' of a city that I have ever been to. It was massive and took 10 mins to walk there. I took the train in from the airport (it was around $2.00 but it was a solid 45 mins but for $2.00, how can you complain?)and it was approx a 10 walk to the hotel. We pretty much walked everywhere. We walked the entire magnificent mile strip. We went to the Blue Navy or whatever the docks are called. My favourite bar was 'Pops for Champagne.' Wow. I love champagne. And then of course there was the John Hancock Centre. And lots of shopping!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RupunzelAerial
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I do not understand the negative reviews recently posted about the Amalfi. I read them after I made the reservation but decided to stick with my choice because all the other reviews were so positive. I am glad I gave the Amalfi the benefit of the doubt. It was truly a wonderful hotel and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo