“Great location for fun!”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This was my 2nd stay at the Almalfi in the past 6 months and left very happy both times. First visit was a "girlfriends trip" and we loved the great location, the amazing gym, close location to good food & drink, and the free happy hour. The second visit was a "mommy/daughter" trip and we enjoyed the close location to everything, the clean rooms, and the helpful staff with their suggestions on places to go and restaurants to try. Great cute modern hotel close to everything and oh so easy to get to from Midway Airport. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat. The only negative for a light sleeper like me; the heater was a bit loud but my earplugs helped a lot!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,612)

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I cannot fault the cleanliness and the service at this hotel. The included breakfast served on each floor set up as a buffet near the lifts (you then take it back to your room) was more than adequate to start the day with. The free cocktails/beer and nibbles served in the conference room each evening was a plus and a great way to meet other travelers from both overseas countries and the USA. The beds were very comfortable. I would definitely stay there again if I returned to Chicago. Also from there we took beautiful walks along the river to Lake Michigan etc and it was an easy walk from there to Michigan Avenue, The Loop and other popular areas. All these areas are also accessed by bus but we enjoyed walking the streets and taking in the beautiful architecture and sites of the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CasB57
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Amalfi this last weekend. Overall, we had a positive experience but I certainly agree with above reviews which complained about the noise level. There was a maddening low frequency pounding from an adjacent bar that drove me crazy and prevented me from sleeping. My wife slept OK and said she didn't hear it. I realize that this noise is not from the hotel but you should beware of this if you stay here. I'm not sure that all the rooms are affected but ours sure was.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Three long time friends met in Chicago for a girls weekend and we stayed at the Almalfi for two nights. The hotel was clean, trendy, inviting and staff couldn't have been friendlier. You are right in the middle of downtown so you could walk to restaurants, clubs, museums and the lake quite easily. The hotel is only a few blocks from the L so if you need public transportation it was right at the doorstep. The extensive continental breakfast was available on every floor so you could pick out a couple of things and head back to your hotel room. You will not be disappointed staying here.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Modern room, nice new. Hvac was broken but manager gave us a bottle of comp. Sparkling wine.

• Stayed: April 2011
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us during your trip to Chicago! We value our guest’s feedback and appreciate you sharing yours with the TripAdvisor community.

I’m so pleased to know that you enjoyed the amenities, although I apologize that the room temperature was not adjustable during your stay. Please don’t hesitate to notify the front desk in the future with any concerns, as we would be happy to send our engineer staff to examine the problem. Additionally, we would like to gather more information regarding the HVAC. If possible, please email me with your contact information and we will look up your room number to send our engineering department up to further examine.

Thanks again for choosing Amalfi and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Warm Regards,
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed October 13, 2011

I can't understand why this hotel is only a 3.5* hotel.
Having spent a fair amount of time traveling to Chicago over the last year, I've stayed at 9 different hotels, and wish I'd found this one sooner.
This was the lowest star rating of hotels I've stayed at and found it to be second overall only to the Trump (if you don't take price into consideration!)
The quality of hotel in every respect was above par.
Housekeeping was thorough and extremely attentive.
The complimentary breakfast was excellent. Always stocked with coffee, juices, milk, teas, a variety of cereals and breads/pastries, cheese, yogurt, and fruit. Very convenient to grab on the way out, located on every floor at the elevators.
The room quality itself was excellent. Bigger than average for the typical room in Chicago with adequate and modern furniture, and a comfortable bed.
The gym is clean and modern with updated equipment.
Overall, I cannot understand what makes this only a 3.5 star rating.
While the location of this hotel is fantastic for restaurants, shopping, bars, nightlife, my one concern is that it is a very busy area at all times of day and the Amalfi is only a 6 story hotel. I would think it is hard to find a quiet room. I requested a quiet room and thought it was great when I saw that my room backed not onto a street, but into the alley. However, it seemed I was woken for an hour or so every night to trucks emptying the dumpsters. A minor complaint to an otherwise quiet room.
The wi-fi is frustratingly slow, so be advised to bring an ethernet cord, as the direct connection is MUCH faster!!
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Amalfi Hotel Chicago! Your feedback is highly important to us in maintaining the quality of our accommodations and service. We are very pleased to see that you appreciated so many aspects of your stay. We understand your frustration with the Wi-Fi and alley noise. We are happy to share with you, however, that both of these issues are currently being dealt with. Our manager is in talks with the alderman regarding waste pickup in the alley and we will be updating our internet within the next month or two. We have Ethernet cords here at the hotel and we’re happy to provide them to guests upon request.

Again, thank you for choosing the Amalfi during your trip to Chicago and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed here overnight to do some business in Chicago. The Amalfi is a very pleasant place to stay. The staff are very friendly and the ambiance is trendy but not bizarre as one sometimes find in "boutique" hotels. My room was large and pretty quiet. The fitness center is large and fairly well equipped. The evening reception and free breakfast on each floor are very good amenities. Wifi is free and fast. The location is good, with downtown, Michigan Avenue shopping etc a few blocks away. You can take the CTA from Ohare to the Clark/Lake stop, walk a few blocks, and you're there. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business