“High Dollar, High Class”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #21 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, AZ
“High Dollar, High Class”
Reviewed December 8, 2007

My fiance and I were visiting the Chicago area to visit some family and we opted to spend our last couple of nights right in the downtown core of Chicago to take full advantage of the sights.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. We were able to walk easily (within about 5-15 mins) to any restaurants, bars/clubs or the Magnificent Mile. The decor in the main lobby is very chic and modern, as was the decor in the room. The internet in our room did not work, so we had to spend some time with the help desk to get it up and running. Our floor had a lounge in it where the hotel hosted a happy hour each night - with complimentary appetizers and drinks. And while I found the quality of the wine rather disappointing, the appetizers themselves were quite delicious (no chip and dip here! ). That lounge itself had no real wow factor, and was a bit of a disappointment considering how pristine and sharp the rest of the hotel was in appearance. Our room had a horrible view, but that didn't particularly trouble us. The bathroom was top notch , equipped with a wonderful shower head and high quality bath products (Aveda).

The hotel itself seems to have been a remodeled building, where the hotel appears to only occupy a few of the floors. The lobby is adjacent to another lobby, which is for the commerical businesses that appear to also occupy the building. While I have read other reviews which stated the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, we did not find this to be the case. The were outright cold and seemed preoccupied when dealing with us.

The price was a tad high, as were the parking rates per day, but in a major city, and given the location, that was something we had fully expected.

If you want a hotel with more ammenities (spa, pool) then I would say that this isn't it. However, for the location and the new, chic and clean rooms, it is lovely little place to stay.

• Liked — Chic and Modern, Happy Hour
  • Disliked — Staff were "uninterested", No Amenities, Internet failed, Complimentary breakfast was average
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Luna1124

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I stayed at this hotel while I was attending a medical conference.
The hotel was nearly perfect and though I generally try to stay at different hotels, this hotel was so nice that I definitely consider going back.

It has a very small gym. It was quite adequate and not busy at all.

Breakfast is served at each floor separately. Some might not like the fact they had to take the breakfast back to their rooms but I did not mind it. The breakfast consisted of seasonal fruits like apples, pears, oranges and occasionally bananas all of good quality. Small jars of jam, a lot of different pastry and small boxes of Philladelphia cheese. No warm food was offered.
Remembering that American hotels usually don't provide any breakfast included in the price this menu was allright.

On sixth floor each night there's is a reception where different types of complimentary drinks are served. Also different hors-d'oeuvre were served that were equal to a light dinner. It is not suitable for children and though I saw some children I would not recommend this hotel for people with children.

The stafft at the hotel are very helpful and friendly.

At evenings the maid makes the beds and leaves chocolate pieces.

The location of the hotel is very good. 1-2 minutes is the time it takes to reach the best places.

Another great point with this hotel is the free wireless internet connection.

There are however some not so perfect issues with the hotel such as:
•The hotel name. The hotel is not will known. This caused me on few occasions minor inconveniences.
•Lack of safety boxes in the rooms made management of valuable stuff quite difficult.

In short I recommend this hotel to couples and people coming to Chicago for business.

• Liked — wireless internet
  • Disliked — lack of safe boxes in the rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank screenname060309
Toronto,Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We spent the American Thanksgiving Weekend in Chicago and part of our great weekend was thanks to the Amalfi. It is unique from the get-go, in a very good way. The decor is funky/retro, the staff very friendly and helpful and the rooms amazing. I can't really say anything bad about this place. The price is very fair for what this hotel offers.

The rooms were impeccable, can you believe the Aveda bath products? Extra touches like magazine/book/DVD selection, turndown service (mmm...we looked forward to our Ghiradelli chocolate treats left behind), and the cozy bathrobes and slippers, were features that made this hotel so amazing.

Their breakfast served on the foyers of most floors was very cleanly presented with a variety of options. You could grab your own little basket in your robe and head back to your room to enjoy a nice breakfast. We couldn't believe the cocktail/hors d'oeuvres hour, we've never seen anything like it! We thought it could be cheesy, but it wasn't at all. The buffet selection was impressive and they were serving a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

The location of this hotel is pretty prime. My husband and I took the Blue Line train (CTA) directly from O'Hare to the Clark/Lake station and walked the easy 5 mins to the Amalfi. The $4 for the two of us certainly beat the $50 we would have paid via taxi or shuttle. And trust me, we don't have problems spending the money. But it's so straightforward and convenient, then why not? The $46 could be put towards a nice purchase on theThe Magnificent Mile (which by the way is only 2 blocks down from this hotel)! You could always take a quick cab ride from the Clark/Lake station as well if you dont want to walk.

If life ever takes us back to Chicago, I refuse to stay anywhere else...they should have more Amalfi's around the world!

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank pineapple1212
Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviewed November 13, 2007

I spent a weekend at the Amalfi after finding other boutique hotels booked up. It was a pleasant surprise. While the block the hotel is on is somewhat grubby, it was safe and well-located for walking in the Loop. The hotel is only six stories high and has no restaurant or bar, but every evening there is a "happy hour" with free cocktails and heavy hors d'oeuvres in a sixth-floor gathering room that really turns into a party. There were guests of all ages, including families with young children, and everyone was having a good time. Based on reviews I had read here, I made sure the bartender saw me put a tip in his jar, but he really didn't appear to care one way or another -- he was extremely pleasant to everyone despite the crowds of thirsty guests. There is also an ample continental breakfast set up in each floor's elevator lobby every morning.

My room was very comfortable and attractively decorated in a modern style with deep jewel tones and nice fabrics. I was very satisfied with the Amalfi, and would return.

• Liked — The convivial atmosphere and complimentary food and beverages
  • Disliked — The street where it is located
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank BrynMawrBK
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed November 13, 2007

I stayed at the Amalfi Hotel Chicago with 2 friends for a girls weekend away. Our check in was a breeze, we stayed in room 514. The room was beautifully decorated, very comfortable mattress, soft linens, nice lighting. Upon arriving, we hit the lounge for cocktail hour. The appetizers were very good, one can pretty much make an entire meal out of them, if it weren't for all the great restaurants in Chicago. Definitely try the Amalfitini, it's their speciality drink!

There is a continental breakfast on every floor in the morning. There
was coffee, tea, juice, pastries, muffins, bagels, and fruit. It was nice to just put on the robe and slippers that come with the room and walk down the hall and bring a breakfast tray back to the room. Oh, and the shower was fabulous. It had double, pulsating shower heads with all Aveda hair and body products.

The "Experience Designers" are great. They will print out maps, directions, get bus/train information for anywhere you may want to go. The location is also convenient to shopping, restaurants, etc.

The Amalfi was all around a great place to have a relaxing weekend away!

• Liked — Comfort, ammenities
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank skigrl50
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2007

Stayed for 5 nights and have nothing but positves to say about the Amalfi. Its location is perfect, Close to the river, so both sides of the city easily accessible. 2 blocks and you are on the 'Mag Mile'. Check-in was so smooth, we stayed on the 4th floor of 6. Bed was huge and for a hotel extremely comfortable and good pillows too. Complimentay drinks were a super touch and the 'Amalfitini's' went down well after a good days sightseeing. Also nibbles served here too.
Breakfast was provided on each floor outside the lifts, juice, fruit and pastries as much as you want. Free paper delivered every morning too.
Bedroom and bathroom both large and shower heads powerful.
Only issue, new apts being built across the road, deliveries early in the a.m. will wake the deepest sleeper, once completed all will be well.
Great hotel, friendly and great city.

• Liked — Proximity to everything, and the extras provided.
  • Disliked — Noisey building site across road, not hotels fault though
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Niall
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I stayed at the Amalfi for three nights while attending a conference in Chicago. It was recommended to me by a colleague, so I thought I would give it a try.

The staff are all quite pleasant, and room was very clean. The room was quite small, though. I was in a corner room, and it didn't seem to be well though-out when designed. There is a very long hallway, with the bathroom attached, and then the room. The design of the room makes it very tight for walking around the furniture. The bathroom, although poorly lit, was wonderful though. The shower has a dual head and was like heaven. But, the bed could have been more comfortable.

The hotel boasts free breakfast and daily happy hour. In truth, the breakfast is just baked goods and coffee. There was a small bowl of fruit, but that's all. And the happy hour was not in a "lounge" but rather a small, dark room, and the bartenders were not very friendly. I took my drink back to my room.

The one thing that realoly bothered me was the air in the room. It NEVER shuts off. If you turn the thermostat down, it gets too cold, and if you turn it up, it gets to stuffy. So, I finally just flipped the switch to turn it completely off. It got a little chilly at night, but it was worth it.

The staff was accomodating, though. I needed to check out a day early, and they were OK with that - no penalty, which was surprising. The hotel is conveniently located, but there is major construction going on all around it, so it can be a bit noisy. All in all, it wasn't a bad stay - but I'm not sure it was nice enough for me to go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small cramped room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business