“10th Floor Room ~ Not a great view”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #105 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles, California
“10th Floor Room ~ Not a great view”
Reviewed March 26, 2007

I got a really good rate thru a promotional offer ($149/night) But that included 2 drinks at the really cool bar in the lobby. I highly recommend the Upside Down Martini (taste like a yummy pineapple upside down cake)

The best thing about this hotel is it is NON-SMOKING. I loved that! Being from Los Angeles I guess I am spoiled, but I like the fact that I can have a drink at a bar without someone blowing smoke in my face.

My room was on the 10th floor, and I agree with the other reviews it is a dark room. But I like the darkness of it, it gives it a more intimate feel. The bathroom was a decent size and I really liked the Aveda bath products.

Yes the room is warm, even after playing with the thermostat. But it wasn't a deal breaker for me since it was so cold outside. I am sure if it was in the middle of summer my opinion would be different.

Now my complaint is definitely the view on the 10th floor. I attached some pictures I took out of my window. Nothing to write home about. Seems with a half empty hotel they would have tried to give me a better view.

If I could get a good room rate, I would probably stay here again and ask for a higher floor.

• Liked — Non-smoking hotel :)
  • Disliked — The view from room
2 Thank bebe624

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Just putting in a good word for the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago. The reviews I read before going were mixed so we were not sure what to expect. The location was perfect. The hotel was beautiful. Our view was awesome. The room was large enough and very clean. The bed was very comfy. The staff were helpful - especially the concierge, Jared.

I couldn't find anything negative to say. If you want to stay in downtown Chicago - you can't go wrong with this cool hotel.

• Liked — Friendly staff and cool atmosphere
  • Disliked — price - but it is to be expected.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank gardengirl102
Milwaukee
Reviewed March 19, 2007

The Hard Rock has a different style to it. I had a fairly good size king room but no furniture to speak of other than a desk/dresser ensemble (rather cheap quality) and a rather funky chair. Some might call this contemporary, I'd call it minimalist. Room wall colors are gray with the window wall black. No question that lighting is dim but again part of the style. Bathrooms were very roomy and overall quite nice. Same issues with temperature control as others have noted. I would say the crowd seemed mid to late twenties. This location is more in what I would term the business end of Michigan Ave. Most of the shopping, restaurants and things to do at night are on the other side of the river further north on Michigan Ave. I've stayed at many different hotels in Chicago. This was a unique experience but I don't think I would return. There are so many different hotels in what I think are better locations and that are a bit higher up on the luxury scale for relatively the same price.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Rjal
United States
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I recently went on a girls weekend to Chicago. Normally I stay at the Omni, but they refused to accept a coupon I had, so we picked the Hard Rock. Be sure to check their website before you make a reservation, for weekends they often run promotions like buy one night get the second half off. Check in took a little while and we thought it was fairly humorous that the front desk personnel were singing along to the music playing. Room was fairly expensive, but the location makes it worth while. I was a bit concerned that we would have charges for a deposit for the minibar, but the bill was accurate and no issues.

Room was dark, yes. There were two lamps on either side of the bed, but certainly only provided ambiance, not good for reading. The bathroom was a little dark too, but no one had any problems putting on makeup. The bed was awesome, as people have mentioned before. But be forewarned, if you want a room with two beds the cost is $25/night more. We had a window that overlooked the city, so that helped with the light situation in the mornings. Didn't need so much light at night since we were out and about! But upon our arrival back at the hotel, no issues with the lights at all.

Hallways were lighter than the rooms, oddly painted, but really cool. The lobby is modern and the bar gets packed early. Good thing there are several couches around the lobby to sit. Drinks are of course, expensive, ranging from $6-10 I would say for "normal" drinks. I would suggest dressing up just a touch for the bar, as everyone seemed to be dressed in business casual or better.

Location is definitely a plus. It is at the end of the miracle mile and just a short 3 blocks or so to Navy Pier. There are a ton of bars and restaurants nearby, and the Intercontinental Hotel bar was very busy and one of our main hangouts. It is literally a block away.

Oh, Chicago. I can't wait to return, and I would definitely stay here again assuming that their prices are a bit lower or they offer another weekend special.

• Liked — The location and the ambiance!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank J-Mill
Normal, IL
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago the weekend of March 9-11. We booked the room through Hotwire.com, and paid more than we usually do through Hotwire ($155/night), but he Housewares Show was in town, so rooms were at a premium.

Just a few comments....most of the reviews say the rooms are dark...well, they aren't BRIGHT, but there was sufficient task lighting to read or work, and I thought the bathroom was very well lit. The decor is very contemporary....some may like it, and some may not, but we thought it was fine. The room size isn't huge, but bigger than a lot of hotel rooms I've been in in Europe and New York. The bathroom was more than adequate, and well appointed.

The main plus this hotel has is the location. Perfect for shopping on Michigan Ave, or strolling through Millenium Park and the museum campus. I'd stay here again without any hestitation, if the price was right.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Self Parking close
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 11, 2007

Nice looking room, comfortable bed. It’s true the lighting is dim, which I like, however my wife would like a brighter light option in the bathroom for makeup etc. The reason I won’t be back is because as I read in previous reviews, the thermostat does nothing. Could not cool the room down. Very warm. If you like a cool room to sleep in, try somewhere else.

• Liked — Modern style.
  • Disliked — Room was too hot, could not adjust the heat in room.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jnbt
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I have to say, I read the reviews over & over again before our trip...and I was a little scared to stay at this hotel. However, I can say we loved the hotel...

Location - wonderful, a short stroll to the best shopping on Michigan Ave. A quick cab ride to just about anywhere.

Staff- could not have been more accomodating, from the bellman to the bartender to the maid to the servers at China Grill.

Rooms - here is the only hitch. We visited in late Feb in the midst of a snowstorm. We are from the south and used to mild weather, and very used to HEAT. But, the rooms were hot as they could be. During our 5 night stay, we had four rooms. Room 1- small and HOT. Thermostat would not go below 74. Told front desk and were quickly relocated (even though they were overbooked) to another room. Room 2 - DO NOT stay in room #17 on any floor. These rooms, although roomy and cool, are sparsly decorated and right beside the ice machine, elevators and maid closet.....and very, very loud. As in, we didn't sleep a wink. Room 3 - moved back to 17th floor.....beautiful view, bigger room, but HOT.....with fan blowing, snow outside and thermostat set on 50 degrees, it remained 71+ in the room. So, I asked what to do....not for a room change and they immediately sent someone up with keys to a new room and even though we got an upgrade with each room change....they put us in a "hard rock room". This room was HUGE, private hallway leading into it, views of michigan ave from multiple windows...including inside the shower!! Double armoires, California King, dual chaise lounge with ottomans, and it was perfect temp. wise. As I said, the staff could not have been better during all of this. We booked the entire trip - 5 nights + airfare on travelocity and we ended up in a room with a rack rate of over half of our trip cost. :)

Food - China grille is magnificent, yet a little pricy if you are not used to it. We ate there twice because we loved it so much. Beware, there are NO vending machines in this hotel. But, there is a walgreens 10 ft from the hotel, a corner bakery a block away, a Bennigans across the street, Giordano's deep dish pizza across the Street.....just about anything.

Bar - good drinks....hard to get a seat at the bar itself, but plenty of seating on couches throughout the lobby area.

All in all, we loved the hotel, the beds, the room and everything. This was my 7th leisure trip to the city in the past 3 years and my most enjoyable stay. Past stays were at the Wyndham downtown, W Lakeshore, Intercontinental and the Hyatt.

Stayed February 2007