“Just a few comments”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #114 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago the weekend of March 9-11. We booked the room through Hotwire.com, and paid more than we usually do through Hotwire ($155/night), but he Housewares Show was in town, so rooms were at a premium.

Just a few comments....most of the reviews say the rooms are dark...well, they aren't BRIGHT, but there was sufficient task lighting to read or work, and I thought the bathroom was very well lit. The decor is very contemporary....some may like it, and some may not, but we thought it was fine. The room size isn't huge, but bigger than a lot of hotel rooms I've been in in Europe and New York. The bathroom was more than adequate, and well appointed.

The main plus this hotel has is the location. Perfect for shopping on Michigan Ave, or strolling through Millenium Park and the museum campus. I'd stay here again without any hestitation, if the price was right.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed March 11, 2007

Nice looking room, comfortable bed. It’s true the lighting is dim, which I like, however my wife would like a brighter light option in the bathroom for makeup etc. The reason I won’t be back is because as I read in previous reviews, the thermostat does nothing. Could not cool the room down. Very warm. If you like a cool room to sleep in, try somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jnbt
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I have to say, I read the reviews over & over again before our trip...and I was a little scared to stay at this hotel. However, I can say we loved the hotel...

Location - wonderful, a short stroll to the best shopping on Michigan Ave. A quick cab ride to just about anywhere.

Staff- could not have been more accomodating, from the bellman to the bartender to the maid to the servers at China Grill.

Rooms - here is the only hitch. We visited in late Feb in the midst of a snowstorm. We are from the south and used to mild weather, and very used to HEAT. But, the rooms were hot as they could be. During our 5 night stay, we had four rooms. Room 1- small and HOT. Thermostat would not go below 74. Told front desk and were quickly relocated (even though they were overbooked) to another room. Room 2 - DO NOT stay in room #17 on any floor. These rooms, although roomy and cool, are sparsly decorated and right beside the ice machine, elevators and maid closet.....and very, very loud. As in, we didn't sleep a wink. Room 3 - moved back to 17th floor.....beautiful view, bigger room, but HOT.....with fan blowing, snow outside and thermostat set on 50 degrees, it remained 71+ in the room. So, I asked what to do....not for a room change and they immediately sent someone up with keys to a new room and even though we got an upgrade with each room change....they put us in a "hard rock room". This room was HUGE, private hallway leading into it, views of michigan ave from multiple windows...including inside the shower!! Double armoires, California King, dual chaise lounge with ottomans, and it was perfect temp. wise. As I said, the staff could not have been better during all of this. We booked the entire trip - 5 nights + airfare on travelocity and we ended up in a room with a rack rate of over half of our trip cost. :)

Food - China grille is magnificent, yet a little pricy if you are not used to it. We ate there twice because we loved it so much. Beware, there are NO vending machines in this hotel. But, there is a walgreens 10 ft from the hotel, a corner bakery a block away, a Bennigans across the street, Giordano's deep dish pizza across the Street.....just about anything.

Bar - good drinks....hard to get a seat at the bar itself, but plenty of seating on couches throughout the lobby area.

All in all, we loved the hotel, the beds, the room and everything. This was my 7th leisure trip to the city in the past 3 years and my most enjoyable stay. Past stays were at the Wyndham downtown, W Lakeshore, Intercontinental and the Hyatt.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank tarcijean
Reviewed February 14, 2007

Stayed at HR Hotel for New Years 2007. Priceline.com accepted my offer 119.00 a night. I was some what suprised after looking on the HR website to see cheapest room listed at 250.00. Read several reviews that said the staff was rude. I didn't experience this at all. The parking was expensive, 39.00 a night. I stayed 3 nights, and for some reason they only charged me for 2. Location was great. Lighting in the actual hotel room was not very good. With all lights turned on, I still felt like I was in the dark.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QUESTRAVEL
Reviewed February 3, 2007

I would like to tell anyone thinking about staying at this hotel that the beds are great the staff was helpful but the hotel its self was run down there were large gouges in the walls in our room the room we had was very small and everything was soo dark, i am a younger person and thought it would be a hip fun place to stay and i was wrong!!!! There are many other hotels in the area that have great beds great service, great staff and MUCH better rooms the price was over rated too!! I usually do not complain about things but i just want people to know you would probably be better off spending your money on something else!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Jayneann1809
Reviewed January 31, 2007

My fiancee and I went for two nights this past March. I don't recall what we paid, being so long ago, but I remember it was at least 30-40 dollars cheaper than other nice hotels in town. Our first night was not so great. The small room was very nice, but happened to be right next to the elevator, and the frequent "ding" coming from it really disturbed our sleep. The next morning the desk was happy to give us a room on a high floor with a great view, away from the elevator, but I decided to push my luck and pressed them to give us a suite. After a few minutes of speaking with the manager, he rolled his eyes, AND GAVE ME THE SUITE! It was amazing - huge with wraparound floor to cieling windows, 50 inch plasma tv, basically the works. So the moral of the story is ask for a room away from the elevator (although it worked out well for me!)

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2007

Ok, I read some of the reviews here after I booked the hotel and frankly, I was worried. I got to Midway and took the orange line to Lake/State stop and walked 2 blocks to N. Michigan and there was the hotel. So far, so good. The woman at the front desk was very nice and apologized that the room was not ready yet (it was 7:30 AM, I wasn't expecting it to be ready) but asked if we would like to stow our bags and call back in an hour. We stowed our bags, went to explore the magnificent mile and came back three hours later and the room was ready. I was now panicked. The reviews said, dark, smelly, dirty and rude. the rude part, so far, was untrue. Got to room. It was dark, smelled fine and was pretty clean. As a base of operations, one could not ask for more. Hard Rock is a block or two from Millenium Park, a block to the Chicago river, a nice hike to the Hancock Building, but would be a nice stroll in warm weather (walking straight up N. Michigan with all its great malls and stores in the summer would have been terrific, unfortunately, I just got back and its January). Sears Tower, also walking distance, Navy Pier, not so far. restauants on state street and ohio, very walkable. Get the point? The hotel elevators are so fast, one could get the impression that they were your own private elevator. The fitness club was fine, empty whenever I was there. The business center allowed me to surf the web 24/7. The bed we had was fantastic. It was firm with a pillowtop. Very comfortable. There was internet access in the room also, I just didn't bring my computer so I used the business center. The one major issue that I had and it's the only one, it was DARK! I guess rock n rollers are creatures of the night, but this is really a bit much. I saw where a lot of the other hotels were, such as the four seasons, ritz carleton etc and a lot of the really fancy ones are further up on N. Michigan (Magnificent Mile), but to access the rest of the City, south of the Chicago River, It would kind of be a hike. Great stay, great location, great place.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank fongghoul